This programme aims to introduce students to an advanced level of understanding and knowledge of the development of China and theoretical perspectives in evaluating the dynamics of the modernization process in the Mainland.
Upon completion, students should be able to:
- Develop a strong command of knowledge of major social science concepts and theories on governance, economic development and institutional development;
- Conduct independent research in issues related to development of China in an interdisciplinary and analytical manner;
- Demonstrate a theoretical understanding of the various dimensions of marketization and modernization processes;
- Identify and explain the core features and challenges to governance, socioeconomic development and sustainability of China’s modernization; and
- Develop social empathy, moral sensibility, critical capacity, multiple perspectives, sustained interest and analytical skills in understanding the changes in contemporary China and development process in other settings.