The programme offers a comprehensive coverage of quantitative methods (including courses on data-mining, marketing research, financial modeling and risk management) and adopts the point of view of business intelligence, drawing on practical experience and knowledge in the fields. The programme benefits from the use of relevant software packages to reinforce students’ understanding of the concepts, methods and processes introduced.
Year of Entry2019
Application DeadlineLocal & Non-local : 30 Apr 2019
Mode of StudyCombined †
Mode of FundingNon-government-funded
Indicative Intake Target80
Minimum No. of Credits Required30
Class ScheduleWeekday evenings
Normal Study PeriodFull-time: 1 year; Part-time: 2 years
Maximum Study PeriodFull-time: 2.5 years;
Part-time/Combined mode: 5 years
Mode of ProcessingApplications are processed on a rolling basis. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Early applications are therefore strongly encouraged.
- hold a recognised Bachelor’s degree with Honours, or equivalent. An undergraduate degree in Statistics is not a prerequisite.
Selection will be based on the candidate’s academic performance in previous studies, relevant working experience (if any), motivation and potential of the candidate and performance in the interview.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is not English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- Score 550 (paper-based test) or 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- Overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- Score 450 in the new College English Test (CET6) of Chinese mainland or a pass in the old CET-6 test; or
- Other equivalent qualifications
- Statistical Data Analysis
- Applied Linear Statistical Models
Any 8 of the following courses:
- Business Survey Methods
- Business Analytics with Spreadsheet
- Contemporary Topics in Quantitative Analysis for Business
- Data Mining
- Decision Analytics
- Predictive Modeling and Forecasting for Business
- Predictive Modeling in Marketing
- Quantitative Analysis Project
- Statistical Modelling in Economics and Finance
- Statistical Modelling in Risk Management (#)
- College of Business Elective (not more than two courses)
(#) CEF reimbursable courses
Use of statistical software to conduct data analysis is an integral part of the programme. Students will have access to the latest SAS statistical software including the Enterprise Miner (EM) used as a primary data mining tool by many business organizations in Hong Kong and elsewhere.