The programme aims at providing students with advanced knowledge in financial management including financing & investment strategies and risk management.
Year of Entry2021
Application DeadlineApplication Closed
Mode of StudyCombined †
Mode of FundingNon-government-funded
Indicative Intake Target105
Minimum No. of Credits Required30
Class ScheduleWeekday daytime or evenings; and Saturdays
Normal Study PeriodFull-time: 1 year
Part-time/Combined mode: 2 years
Maximum Study PeriodFull-time: 2.5 years
Part-time/Combined mode: 5 years
Mode of ProcessingApplications are processed on a rolling basis. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Early applications are therefore strongly encouraged.
- hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university; and
- preferably possess more than 1 year of work experience in the industry.
Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is NOT English should also fulfill the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
- a score of 59 (revised paper-delivered test) or 79 (Internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)@#; or
- an overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)@; or
- a score 490 in the new College English Test (CET-6) of Chinese mainland; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
@TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the two years preceding the commencement of the University's application period.
# Applicants are required to arrange for the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send their TOEFL results directly to the University. The TOEFL institution code for CityU is 3401.
Fellowship awards are available for local students admitted to this programme under the Fellowships Scheme supported by the HKSAR Government. This programme in the priority area of “Business” is one of the targeted programmes listed under the Fellowships Scheme with 9 fellowship awards. Local students admitted to the programme in full-time, part-time or combined study mode will be invited to submit applications for the fellowships.
Students are required to take 8 required core courses (total 24 credit units).
- Corporate Finance
- Derivatives and Risk Management
- Financial Econometrics
- Professional Seminars in Finance
- Advanced Corporate Finance
- Fixed Income Securities
- International Financial Management
Students can choose 2 electives (total 6 credit units) from the list below:
- Asset Management and Hedge Fund Strategies
- Credit Risk Management
- Financial Systems, Markets and Instruments
- Option Pricing
- Spreadsheet Modeling in Finance
- Stochastic Calculus for Finance
- An elective in the following disciplines offered by the departments of the College of Business to suit students’ interests and career development needs: Accounting, Economics and Finance, Information Systems, Management, Management Science, and Marketing