Prof. Hui-Hui Dai's research interests include: 1) Mathematics and mechanics of phase transitions and bifurcation phenomena in solids; 2) Nonlinear waves in solids and solitons; 3) Asymptotic methods and their applications to problems in mechanics. He is serving on the editorial boards of International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics and International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Applications. He has organised a number of international conferences and served as the programme secretary of the Hong Kong Mathematics Society and a member of the executive committee of the Hong Kong Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. Currently, he is the departmental project leader on joint supervision schemes with Wuhan University, Zhengzhou University and Zhongshan University.
Recent External Grants
- A CERG grant for the period from July, 2007 to 31 December, 2010 from the RGC on the project titled "Analytical studies on Phasse Transitions in Homogeneous and Inhomogeneous Cylinders Composed of Compressible Elastic Materials".
- A GRF grant for the period from July, 2009 to 30 June, 2012 from the RGC on the project titled "Mathematical modeling and analysis of instability phenomena in stress-induced phase transitions in thin SMA strips".
- H.-H. Dai and P. L. Sachdev (eds.), "RECENT ADVANCIES IN DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS", Pitman Research Notes in Mathematics Series, Addison Wesley Longman: London, 1998.
- A. Jeffrey and H.-H. Dai, "Handbook of Mathematical Formulas and Integrals (4th edition)", Academic Press, Elsevier: New York, 2008.
- H.-H. Dai and F.-F. Wang, Asymptotic bifurcation solutions for compressions of a clamped nonlinearly elastic rectangle: transition region and barreling to a corner-like profile, to appear in SIAM J. Appl. Math.
- H.-H. Dai, J. Kaplunov and D. A. Prikazchikov, A long-wave model for the surface elastic wave in a coated half-space, to appear in Proc. Royal Soc. Lond. A.
- J. Wang and H.-H. Dai, Phase transitions induced by extension in a slender SMA cylinder: Analytical solutions for the hysteresis loop based on a quasi-3D contimuum model, Int. J. Plasticity, 26, 467–487, 2010.
- D. Han, H.-H. Dai and L. Q. Qi, Conditions for Strong Ellipticity of Anisotropic Elastic Materials, J. Elasticity, 97, 1–13, 2009.
- H.-H. Dai and J. Li, Nonlinear travelling waves in a hyperelastic rod composed of a compressible Mooney-Rivlin material, Int. J. Non-linear Mech., 44(2009), 499–510.
- H.-H. Dai and J. Wang, An analytical study on the geometrical size effect on phase transitions in a slender compressible hyperelastic cylinder, Int. J. Non-linear Mech., 44(2009), 219–229.
- H.-H. Dai and F.-F. Wang, Bifurcation to a corner-like formation in a slender nonlinearly elastic cylinder: asymptotic solution and mechanism, Proc. Royal Soc. Lond. A: Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences, 464(2008), 1587–1613.
- H.-H. Dai, Y. Hao and Z. Chen, On Constructing the analytical solutions for localizations in a slender cylinder composed of an incompressible hyperelastic material, Int. J. Solids & Struct. 45(2008), 2613–2628.
- International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics (SCI, published by Elsevier)
- Journal of Hydrodynamics (published by Elsevier)
- International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Applications (published by Global press)
- Main organiser of an International Workshop on Nonlinear Elasticity, Hong Kong, April 6–9, 2000.
- Main organiser of an International Workshop on Nonlinear Waves in Solids, Hong Kong, June 8–11, 2000
- Co-Chair of the organising committee of "The Second Workshop on Industrial Applications" held in Hong Kong from 4–8 December, 2006.
- Co-Chair of the organising committee for the International Conference on Applied Mathematics: Modeling, Analysis and Computation, 1–5 June, 2008, Hong Kong.
- Co-Chair of the organising committee for the International Conference on Applied Analysis and Scientific Computation, June 25–28, 2009, Shanghai.
- Main Organiser of "The Third Workshop on Industrial Applications" held in Hong Kong from 7–11 December, 2009.