This course is about the relationship of transportation and regional development. The students are first introduced to the concept of sustainable development and its relationship with transport. They are then presented with the roles of transport in supporting economic and spatial development in the local, regional, national and international levels. Next, they are introduced to different issues i.e. political, economic, social, human behavioural, environmental and technological related to transport.
The objectives of the course are to introduce to the students:
- the inter-relationship between transport and sustainable development
- the relationship of transport systems and spatial development
- the economic, social and political issues involved
- the impact of human behavior on transport development
- the impact of transport on the environment and future directions in transport technology