Associate Professor of Department of Chemistry
Member of State Key Laboratory of Marine Pollution (City University of Hong Kong)
|Scopus Author ID:||7202473456|
- Ecology and Conservation of Horseshoe Crabs
- Microplastic Pollution
- Ecology and Ecotoxicology of Marine Invertebrates
Dr. S. G. Cheung received his B. Sc. and Ph. D. from the University of Hong Kong. His current research interests include marine microplastic pollution and its effects on the behaviour and ecophysiology of marine invertebrates. Currently, he is also involved in the conservation of marine habitats and endangered species such as horseshoe crabs. With the support of the Ocean Park Conservation Foundation, he is actively participating in research and education outreach projects on the conservation of horseshoe crabs in Hong Kong. He is a founding member of the Horseshoe Crab Specialist Group under the IUCN and currently a member of the steering committee under the Species Specialist Group.
Dr. Cheung has published more than 150 SCI papers and co-edited two books on the conservation of horseshoe crabs published by Springer. Since 2010, he has secured over HK$12 million in research funding in the capacity of Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator. His research findings on anti-predator responses in marine mussels have been reported in BBC Wildlife Magazine. He is a corresponding editor of an international journal Environmental Geochemistry and Health, and serves as an advisor in several government committees and research funding bodies.
- Xu, X-y., Fang, J.K.H., Wong, C.Y., Cheung, S.G.* 2022. The significance of trophic transfer in the uptake of microplastics by carnivorous gastropod Reishia clavigera. Environmental Pollution. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2022.118862.
- Lo, H.S., Po, B.H.K., Li, L., Wong, A.Y-M, Kong, R.Y.C., Li, L., Wong, C.K-C., Cheung, S.G.*, Lai, K.P.* 2021. Bisphenol A and its analogues in sedimentary microplastics of Hong Kong. Marine Pollution Bulletin 164: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2021.112090.
- Kwan, K.Y., Wong, W.T., Lam, P.Y., Chan, H.K., Lo, H.S., Cheung, S.G.* 2020. Effects of rubble zones from oyster cultivation on habitat utilization and foraging behavior of the endangered tri-spine horseshoe crab: an implication for intertidal oyster cultivation practices. Journal of Environmental Management https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.110925.
- Lo, H.S., Lee, Y.K., Po, B.H.K., Wong, L.C., Xu, X., Wong, C.F., Wong, C.Y., Tam, N.F.Y., Cheung, S.G.* 2020. Impacts of Typhoon Mangkhut in 2018 on the deposition of marine debris and microplastics on beaches in Hong Kong. Science of the Total Environment https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.137172.
- Lo, H.S., Wong, C.Y., Tam, N.F., Cheung, S.G.* 2019. Spatial distribution and source identification of hydrophobic organic compounds (HOCs) on sedimentary microplastic in Hong Kong. Chemosphere, 219: 418-426.
- Lo, H.S., Xu, X.Y., Wong, C.Y., Cheung, S.G.* 2018. Comparisons of microplastic pollution between mudflats and sandy beaches in Hong Kong. Environmental Pollution 236: 208-217.
- Kwan, B.K.Y., Chan, H.K., Cheung, S.G.* 2018. Habitat use of globally threatened juvenile Chinese horseshoe crab, Tachypleus tridentatus under the influence of simulated intertidal oyster culture structures in Hong Kong. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 28: 124-132.
- Kwan, B.K.Y., Cheung, J.H.Y., Law, A.C.K., Cheung, S.G., Shin, P.K.S.* 2017. Conservation education program for threatened Asian horseshoe crabs: A step towards reducing community apathy to environmental conservation. Journal of Nature Conservation 35: 53-65
- Kwan, B.K.Y., Hsieh, H-L., Cheung, S.G., Shin, P.K.S.* 2016. Present population and habitat status of potentially threatened Asian horseshoe crabs Tachypleus tridentatus and Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda in Hong Kong: a proposal for marine protected areas. Biodiversity and Conservation, 25(4): 673-692
- Zhang, Haoyu, Shin, P.K.S., Cheung, S.G.* 2015. Physiological responses and scope for growth upon medium-term exposure to the combined effects of ocean acidification and temperature in a subtidal scavenger Nassarius conoidalis. Marine Environmental Research 106: 51-60
- Zhang, Haoyu, Cheung, S.G., Shin, P.K.S.* 2014. The larvae of congeneric gastropods showed differential responses to the combined effects of ocean acidification, temperature and salinity. Marine Pollution Bulletin 79: 39-46
- Leung, Y.S., Shin, P.K.S., Qiu, J.W., Ang, P.O., Chiu, J.M.Y., Thiyagarajan, V., Cheung, S.G.* 2013. Tolerance and physiological and behavioural responses of different life stages of a serpulid polychaete to hypoxia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 477: 135-145.
- Wang, Y-J., Hu, M-H., Chiang, M.W.L., Shin, P.K.S., Cheung, S.G.* 2012. Characterization of subpopulations and immune-related parameters of hemocytes in the green-lipped mussel Perna viridis. Fish and Shellfish Immunology 32: 381-390.
- Liu, C.C., Chiu, J.M.Y., Li, L., Shin, P.K.S., Cheung, S.G.* 2011. Physiological responses of two sublittoral nassariid gastropods to hypoxia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 429:75-85.
- Hu, M., Wang, Y., Tsang, S.T., Cheung, S.G., Shin, P.K.S.* 2010. Effect of prolonged starvation on body weight and blood-chemistry in two horseshoe crab species: Tachypleus tridentatus and Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda (Chelicerata: Xiphosura, Limulidae). Journal of Experimental Marine biology and Ecology 395: 112-119.
- Cheung, S.G., Yang, F.Y., Chiu, J. M.Y., Liu, C.C., Shin, P.K.S.* 2009. Anti-predator behaviour in the green-lipped mussel, Perna viridis: byssus thread production depends on the mussels' position in chump. Marine Ecology Progress Series 378: 145-151.
- Gao, Q.F., Xu, W.Z., Liu, X.S., Cheung, S.G., Shin, P.K.S.* 2008. Seasonal changes in C, N and P budgets of green-lipped mussels Perna viridis and removal of nutrients from fish farming in Hong Kong. Marine Ecology Progress Series 353: 137-146.
- Chen, Y., Cheung, S.G., Kong, R.Y.C., Shin, P.K.S.* 2007. Morphological and molecular comparisons of dominant amphioxus populations in the China Seas. Marine Biology 153: 189-198.
- Gao, Q.F., Shin P.K.S., Lin, G.H., Chen, S.P., Cheung, S.G.* 2006. Stable isotope and fatty acid evidence for uptake of organic waste by green-lipped mussel Perna viridisin a polyculture fish farm system. Marine Ecology Progress Series 317: 273-283.
- Shin, P.K.S., Cheung, P. H., Yang, F.Y., Cheung, S.G.* 2005. Intermittent exposure to reduced oxygen levels affects prey size selection and consumption in swimming crab Thalamita danae Stimpson. Marine Pollution Bulletin 51: 1003-1009.
- Cheung, S.G.*, Lam, S., Gao, Q.F., Mak, K.K., Shin, P.K.S. 2004. Induced anti-predator responses of the green mussel, Perna viridis (L.), on exposure to the predatory gastropod, Thais clavigera Küster, and the swimming crab, Thalamita danae Stimpson. Marine Biology 144: 675-684.
- Wong, W.H., Cheung, S.G.* 2003. Site-related differences in the feeding physiology of the green mussel Perna viridis(L.): a reciprocal transplantation experiment. Marine Ecology Progress Series 258: 147-159.
- Shin, P.K.S.*, Yau, F.N., Chow, S.H., Tai, K.K., Cheung, S.G. 2002. Responses of the green-lipped mussel Perna viridis to suspended solids. Marine Pollution Bulletin 45: 157-162.
- Wong, W.H., Cheung, S.G.* 2001. Feeding rates and scope for growth of green mussels, Perna viridis (L.) and their relationship with food availability in Kat O, Hong Kong. Aquaculture 193: 123-137.
- Wong, W.H. & Cheung, S.G.* 1999. Feeding behaviour of the green mussel, Perna viridis(L.): Responses to variation in seston quantity and quality. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 236: 191-207.
- Cheung, S.G.*, Wong, L.S. 1998. Physiological responses of the subtidal prosobranch Babylonia lutosa (Gastropoda: Buccinidae), to copper. The Science of the Total Environment 214 (1-3): 185-191.
- Cheung, S.G.* 1997. Behavioural and physiological responses of the intertidal scavenging gastropod Nassarius festivus to salinity changes. Marine Biology.129: 301-307.
- Cheung, S.G.*, Lam, S.W. 1995. Effect of salinity, temperature and acclimation on oxygen consumption of Nassarius festivus (Powys, 1835) (Gastropoda: Nassariidae). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 111A: 625-631.
- Cheung, S.G.* 1993. Population dynamics and energy budgets of green-lipped mussel Perna viridis(Linnaeus) in a polluted harbour.Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 168: 1-24.