To undertake exchange at CityU, applicants should:
- have enrolled at one of our partner institutions as a full-time student for no less than one academic year.
- meet the minimum academic "good standing" requirement at their home university.
- meet one of the following English requirements if English is NOT the medium of instruction at their home university:
- TOEFL 79 (internet-based test) or above / 550 (paper-based test) or above; OR
- IELTS overall band of 6.5 or above; OR
- Chinese Mainland's College English Test (CET) Band 6 or above.
- be nominated by their university’s international office or other relevant units.
- Applicants must submit their application via the online system: Account registration / Application login
- Applicants must also submit all the required documents in ORIGINAL copy via their home university. Direct applications will not be accepted.
- Academic transcript
- Application form for Visa (ID995A)
- Proof of English language proficiency (if applicable)
- Request for visa sponsorship & student's agreement
- Declaration by financial sponsor (sample)
- Copy of financial documents under the name of the applicant, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, scholarship award notification, tax receipts and salary slips. If sponsored by another party, the applicant should provide the sponsor's financial statements. Please do not send in original documents. All submitted documents are non-returnable once submitted
- Copy of the travel document containing personal particulars, date of issue, date of expiry
- Application form for Visa Extension (ID91) (if applicable)
- Letter of consent on guardianship (for students under 18)
For details on the visa application, please visit our Global Engagement Office
Applicants must be enrolled at CityU as a full-time exchange student to obtain a student visa in Hong Kong. To fulfil this requirement, the applicant MUST register for at least 12 credits BUT not more than 18 credits in a single semester. Exchange students affiliated to the College of Engineering (CENG) must take at least 9 credits of courses offered by departments under CENG.
Level of Study
Course codes starting with 1, 2, 3 or 4 (e.g. CS1102, MSE2104, CA3170, EE4142) are undergraduate courses. Undergraduate exchange students are advised to choose courses at bachelor's degree level. The academic system of CityU may be different from those of exchange students’ home universities. When making their study plans, students should seek advice from the academic advisor of their home university or from CityU's exchange coordinators.
Courses offered by Departments under the College of Engineering
- Advanced Design and Systems Engineering (ADSE)
- Architecture and Civil Engineering (ACE)
- Biomedical Engineering (BME)
- Computer Science (CS)
- Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
- Mechanical Engineering (MNE)
Courses offered by Departments under the College of Science
List of courses available for exchange students
Exchange Student - Application Information
(Click "Course Information and Class Schedule" and select the relevant semester / term.)
Prerequisites and Precursors
Prerequisites are requirements that must be fulfilled before a student is able to register for a particular course. These may include educational or other achievements gained before entry to CityU, e.g. related prior knowledge or relevant work experience. Students will be notified if they have selected a course that they have not yet fulfilled the prerequisites.
Precursors to particular courses are not mandatory requirements. Students are advised to complete the precursors before taking such courses.
To view the calendars, please browse the Academic Calendar Website.
Online Application Period
Semester A (Fall Term): 8 Apr - 1 May
Semester B (Spring Term): 1 Sep - 1 Oct
Expected Date of Arrival
Semester A (Fall Term): 23 Aug 2021
Semester B (Spring Term): 3 Jan 2022
Semester A (Fall Term): The week of 23 Aug 2021
Semester B (Spring Term): The week of 3 Jan 2022
Date of Commencement
Semester A (Fall Term): 30 Aug 2021
Semester B (Spring Term): 10 Jan 2022
End of Examination Period
Semester A (Fall Term): 18 Dec 2021
Semester B (Spring Term): 17 May 2022
Notification of Results
All application results will be notified in writing. Applicants are advised NOT to purchase an air ticket before receiving the acceptance letter.