Music for film is an introductory course with an emphasis on lecture-based learning, critical analysis, and individual work on assignments. There are minimal opportunities for the Tutor to train you in any particular software or hardware. Rather, the focus is on developing your own sensibilities and knowledge in the subject that may then inform and inspire your creative work. This course will equip you to discuss various aspects of music in film and give you a deeper appreciation of the art form. On completion of this course you will be able to:
- summarise theories for the perception of music (and other sound elements) in film;
- summarise the historical development of film music from technical and aesthetic perspectives;
- critically discuss the music and other sound elements and their relationship with visual components in films of different genre and character;
- analyse the music (and other sound elements) in two paired movie sequences (given or self-chosen);
- create or curate the music (and other sound elements) to a given movie sequence.