1. Who can make a complaint?

You can use this procedure if you are a student of City University of Hong Kong, who

  • is currently enrolled; or
  • was previously enrolled, as long as the event occurred whilst you were enrolled as a student.

Remark: Students of the Community College of City University and the School of Continuing and Professional Education are not covered by the Student Complaints Procedure.

2. When to make a complaint

A current student must make a complaint within a reasonable time of the incident giving rise to the complaint and, in any event, no later than three months after the incident.  In the case of a complaint being made by a previously enrolled Student, the event giving rise to such complaint must have occurred while that student was enrolled and the complaint must be made no later than three months after the event.

3. How to make a complaint

You should first try to have your complaint resolved informally, by raising the complaint initially with the most appropriate person in the relevant department/office/unit. This is called the "Informal Complaint Process". 
For example:

You wish to complain about: You should speak to:
Poor classroom/ laboratory/ workshop facilities Course or Program Leader, Campus Development and Facilities Office
A problem in the Student Residence Your Residence Master, Student Residence Office
Concerns about safety on campus Facilities Manager, Campus Development and Facilities Office
Poor supervision (research students) College/School Research Coordinator, School of Graduate Studies
Services/ activities of SU or its affiliated clubs SU President, SU Council Chairman, Presidents of SU affiliated clubs concerned
Please refer to the Student Complaints Procedure and Guidance Notes for details. 

4. What can you do if you are not satisfied after making an informal complaint?

If you are not satisfied with the resolution suggested through the informal process, you can make a formal complaint (the “Formal Complaint Process”). To do this, you must:

  • Make your complaint in writing by using the Student Complaints Form; and
  • Send your written complaint to the Office of the Vice-President (Student Affairs).

5. What information should be provided when making a formal complaint?

Your written complaint must include:

  • Your full name and student ID number;
  • A clear description of the nature of the complaint;
  • An explanation of what you have done already to try to resolve the complaint (the “Informal Complaint Process”), and why you are not satisfied with it;
  • Evidence to support your complaint.

6. Will anonymous complaints be accepted?

In making a complaint, a student shall identify himself/ herself properly. Complaints lodged anonymously will not normally be investigated.

7. Will student be penalized for making a complaint?

The University will not penalize you for making a genuine complaint. However, in cases where a complaint is found to be malicious, frivolous or vexatious, the complainant may be subject to disciplinary actions.

8. If the complainant is not satisfied with the resolution suggested through the formal complaint process, can he/ she make an appeal?

The complainant may submit an appeal in writing to the President within 8 days of receipt of notification of outcome. In the appeal, he/she should state the grounds for appeal, which are limited to the following:

  • procedural irregularities in the investigation during the formal complaint process; or
  • new evidence which for good reasons had not been presented previously in the formal complaint process.