Dr. Zhang studied in Peking University where he received a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering and a Double Bachelor in Economics. He then moved to Switzerland where he earned his master degree in management and PhD in economics from ETH Zurich. Before joining the faculty of City University of Hong Kong, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the Center of Economic Research at ETH Zurich. He was also a researcher associated with the Energy Science Center, Simulation Lab, and the Competence Center for Research in Energy, Society, and Transition in Switzerland. Besides his position at School of Energy and Environment, Dr. Zhang has a joint appointment in the Department of Public Policy, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
Zhang's research aims to develop improved quantitative modeling approaches for the design, evaluation, and upgrade of sustainable energy policies at local, regional, and global levels. His research focuses on energy and environmental economics, computational economics, and productivity analysis. Dr. Zhang has published over 20 papers in leading economics and management journals. He has received research grants from Swiss Federal Office of Energy, Swiss National Science Foundation, Research Grants Council in Hong Kong, European Environmental Agency, among others. He serves as a reviewer for more than 20 SSCI listed journals and a committee member of international conferences.
- Energy and environmental economics
- Efficiency and productivity analysis
- Energy policy
- Applied economics
- Computable general equilibrium modeling
Open positions in Dr. Zhang’s group can be found at http://www.cityu.edu.hk/see_eeem/open-positions.html.
- An, L. Zhang, P.K. Adom (2019): Economics of wastewater management in Chinas industry. Environment and Development Economics, forthcoming.
- Marcucci and L. Zhang (2019): Growth impacts of Swiss Climate Policies. Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.
- Hu, Z. Li, L. Zhang (2019): Long-run dynamics of sulphur dioxide emissions, economic growth and energy efficiency in China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 227, 942-949.
- Yeo, S. Chopra, L. Zhang, A. An (2019): Life cycle assessment (LCA) of putrescible waste treatment in Hong Kong: On-site fermentation methodology. Journal of Environmental Management, 240, 343-351.
- Filippini, M. and L. Zhang (2019): Impacts of heat metering and energy efficiency retrofit policy on energy consumption in China. Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, 21 (2), 203-216.
- M. Filippini and L. Zhang (2018): Impacts of heat metering and energy efficiency retrofit policy on energy consumption in China. Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, forthcoming. (Available online)
- C. Karydas and L. Zhang (2018): Green tax reform, endogenous innovation and the growth dividend. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, forthcoming. (Available online)
- L. Zhang and P.K. Adom (2018): Energy Efficiency Transitions in China: How Persistent are the Movements To/From the Frontier? The Energy Journal, 39 (6), 147-169. (Available online)
- T. Geissmann and L. Zhang (2018): Knowledge Economy and Industry Performance in China: a Provincial Level Analysis. Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, 16 (4), 393-415. (Available online)
- L. Zhang and Y. An (2018): The government capacity on industrial pollution management in Shanxi province: A response impulse analysis. Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 223, 1037-1046. (Available online)
- L. Zhang, P.K. Adom, and Y. An (2018): Regulation-induced structural break and the long-run drivers of industrial pollution intensity in China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 198, 121-132. (Available online)
- L. Zhang (2018): Book Review on “Energy Economics: Energy Efficiency in China (authored by Hua Liao and Yi-Ming Wei)”. The Energy Journal, 39 (3), 272-274.
- R. Salim, Y. Yao, G. Chen, L. Zhang (2017): Can foreign direct investment harness energy consumption in China? A time series investigation. Energy Economics, 66, 43-53. (Available online)
- L. Zhang (2017): Correcting the uneven burden sharing of emission reduction across provinces in China. Energy Economics, 64, 335-345. (Available online)
- L. Bretschger, F. Lechthaler, S. Rausch and L. Zhang (2017): Knowledge diffusion, endogenous growth and the costs of global climate policy. European Economic Review, 93, 47-72. (Available online)
- L. Zhang (2017): The knowledge spillover effects of FDI on the productivity and efficiency of research activities in China. China Economic Review. 42, 1-14. (Available online)
- L. Bretschger and L. Zhang (2017): Carbon policy in a high-growth economy: The case of China. Resource and Energy Economics, 47, 1-19. (Available online)
- L. Bretschger and L. Zhang (2017): Nuclear phase-out under stringent climate policies: A dynamic macroeconomic analysis. The Energy Journal, International Association of Energy Economics, 38(1), 167-194. (Available online)
- M. Filippini and L. Zhang (2016): Estimation of the energy efficiency in Chinese provinces. Energy Efficiency, 9(6), 1315-1328. (Available online)
- V. C. Jaunky and L. Zhang (2016): Convergence of operational efficiency in China’s provincial power sector. The Energy Journal, 37, SI1, 3-27. (Available online)
- L. Bretschger and L. Zhang (2014): Exploring the Limits in Dynamic Energy Modelling: Bottom-up framework, uncertainty, and multi-regional setup using the CITE model approach, Final Report for the Swiss Federal Office Of Energy, Publication 290981, Bern, Switzerland. (Available online)
- L. Zhang (2013): Model projections and policy reviews for energy saving in China’s service sector. Energy Policy, 59, 312-320. (Available online)