Ian Ridley is a building scientist with a background in physics and instrumentation and has 20 years experience of built environment research; his PhD at the University of Westminster, London, investigated the performance of superinsulated low energy social housing in the UK.
Ian was a Lecturer and Senior lecturer at the Bartlett School of Graduate Studies, University College London, teaching on the MSc Environmental Design and Engineering course. He was Module leader for the Health and Comfort and Advanced Building Simulation Modules. He was Course Director for the MSc Energy Efficient and Sustainable Building at RMIT University, Melbourne Australia, and Director of The Sustainable Building and Innovation Lab.
His research centres on the design, construction and performance of low energy and sustainable buildings. This work is motivated by the desire to reduce the environmental impact of buildings by reducing carbon dioxide emissions, at the same time recognising the need to maintain healthy and comfortable conditions for the occupants. Ian Ridley was a member of the UK consortium providing research and support to the government Building Regulations Division, examining possible revision to the UK Building Regulations. He has worked on projects for UK Department of Energy and Climate Change to develop residential stock modelling tools to evaluate the impact of energy efficient refurbishment on energy use and occupant health.
- Building Performance Evaluation
- Advanced Building Simulation
- Indoor Air Quality
- Health and Comfort in the Built Environment
- Building Stock Modelling
- Energy and Health Epidemiology in Buildings
- Advanced Glazing
- Moisture, Mould and Bio-contaminants in Buildings
Post-doctoral Fellows / School of Energy and Environment
The appointee will conduct research in at least one of the following areas: Energy and Health Epidemiology in Buildings, Indoor Air Quality and Ventilation in Buildings, Advanced Building Simulation and Building Stock Modelling, Building Performance Evaluation.
Ph.D. degree for Post-doctoral Fellow; Candidates with experience in theoretical modelling, Data analysis of “big data-sets’ or experimental study are preferred.
Salary and Conditions of Service
Salary offered will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Fringe benefits include leave, medical and dental consultations at the campus clinic.
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, especially applicants who will enhance the diversity of our staff.
Selected Journal Publications
- Nicola Willand, Ian Ridley, Cecily Maller. Towards explaining the health impacts of residential energy efficiency interventions - A realist review. Part 1: Pathways. Social science & medicine.02/2015; DOI http://dx.doi.org//j.socscimed.2015.02.005
- Ian Ridley, Justin Bere, Alan Clarke, Yair Schwartz, Andrew Farr, The Side by Side in use Monitored Performance of two Passive and Low Carbon Welsh Houses, Energy and Buildings, Volume 82, October 2014, Pages 13-26, ISSN 0378-7788, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.06.038
- Michael E.A. Warwick, Ian Ridley, Russell Binions, The Effect of Transition Gradient in Thermochromic Glazing Systems, Energy and Buildings, Available online 29 March 2014, ISSN 0378-7788, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.03.044.
- James Milner, Clive Shrubsole, Payel Das,Benjamin Jones, Ian Ridley, Zaid Chalabi, Ian Hamilton, Ben Armstrong, Michael Davies, Paul Wilkinson, Home energy efficiency and radon related risk of lung cancer: modelling study. BMJ2014;348doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f7493(Published 10 January 2014): BMJ2014;348:f7493
- Warwick, M.E.A., Hyett, G., Ridley, I., Laffir, F.R., Olivero, C., Chapon, P., Binions, R. Synthesis and energy modelling studies of titanium oxy-nitride films as energy efficient glazing. 2013 Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 118, pp. 149-156.
- Warwick, M.E.A. , Ridley, I., Binions, R. Thermochromic vanadium dioxide thin films from electric field assisted aerosol assisted chemical vapour deposition Surface and Coatings Technology 2013, 230, pp. 163-167
- Jones, B., Das, P., Chalabi, Z., Davies, M., Hamilton, I., Lowe, R., Milner, J., Ridley, I., Shrubsole, C., Wilkinson, P. The effect of party wall permeability on estimations of infiltration from air leakage. International Journal of Ventilation, 12 (1), pp. 17-29.
- Cortés A, Ridley I, “Efectos de la combustión a leña en la calidad del aire intradomiciliario. La ciudad de Temuco como caso de estudio”. “ The effects of wood burning on indoor air quality in dwellings: A Case study in the City of Temuco”. Revista INVI. Volume 28, Number 78. August 2013. ISSN: 0718-8358 Instituto de la Vivienda.
- Ridley I, Clarke A, Bere J, Altamirano H, Lewis S, Durdev M, Farr A, The monitored performance of the first new London dwelling certified to the Passive House standard, Energy and Buildings, Volume 63, August 2013, Pages 67-78, ISSN 0378-7788, 10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.03.052.
- Das, P., Chalabi, Z., Jones, B., Milner, J., Shrubsole, C., Davies, M., Hamilton, I., Ridley, I., Wilkinson, P. Multi-objective methods for determining optimal ventilation rates in dwellings. (2013) Building and Environment, 66, pp. 72-81. 10.1016/j.buildenv.2013.03.021.
- Warwick, M., Ridley, I. and Binions, R. (2013) The Effect of Transition Hysteresis Width in Open Journal of Energy Efficiency, 2, 75-88. doi: 10.4236/ojee.
- Taylor, J. , Biddulph, P., Davies, M., Ridley, I., Mavrogianni, A., Oikonomou, E., Lai, K.M. Using building simulation to model the drying of flooded building archetypes. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, Volume 6, Issue 2, March 2013, Pages 119-140
- Michelle Lakeridou, Marcella Ucci, Alexi Marmot, Ian Ridley. The potential of increasing cooling set-points in air-conditioned offices in the UK. Applied Energy Volume: 94 (June 2012); pp338-348, DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.01.064
- Sung H. Hong, Matija Strlič, Ian Ridley, Konstantinos Ntanos, Nancy Bell, May Cassar, Climate change mitigation strategies for mechanically controlled repositories: The case of The National Archives, Kew, Atmospheric Environment, Volume 49, March 2012, Pages 163-170, ISSN 1352-2310, DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.12.003.
- Warwick, Michael E.A.; Ridley, Ian; Binions, Russell. Electric Fields in the Chemical Vapour Deposition Growth of Vanadium Dioxide Thin Films. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Volume 11, Number 9, September 2011 , pp. 8158-8162(5). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2011.5026
- Pragna Kiri, Michael E.A. Warwick, Ian Ridley, Russell Binions, Fluorine doped vanadium dioxide thin films for smart windows, Thin Solid Films, Volume 520, Issue 4, 1 December 2011, Pages 163-1366, ISSN 0040-6090, 10.1016/j.tsf.2011.01.401.
- Jonathon Taylor, Ka man Lai, Mike Davies, David Clifton, Ian Ridley, Phillip Biddulph, Flood management: Prediction of microbial contamination in large-scale floods in urban environments, Environment International, Volume 37, Issue 5, July 2011, Pages 1019-1029, ISSN 0160-4120, 10.1016/j.envint.2011.03.015.
- Altamirano-Medina,H., Davies,M., Ridley,I., Mumovic,D., Oreszczyn,T.. Guideline to Avoid Mould Growth in Buildings. Advances in Building Energy Research 3(1), 221-236. ISSN: 1751-2549. DOI: 10.3763/aber.2009.0308
- Davies,M., Mumovic,D., Ridley,I., Oreszczyn,T., Smith,M., Lowe,B. (. The Impact on Airtightness and Indoor Air Quality of Window Replacement in Dwellings. Structural Survey . ISSN: 0263-080X
- Hamilton,I.G., Davies,M., Ridley,I., Oreszczyn,T., Hong,S., Barratt,M., Lowe,R.. The impact of the ‘take back’ effect in UK domestic stock modeling: health impacts and CO2 emissions. Building Service Engineering Research and Technology . ISSN: 0143-6244.
- A. Mavrogianni , M. Davies, M. Batty, S.E. Belcher, S.I. Bohnenstengel, D. Carruthers, Z. Chalabi, B. Croxford, C. Demanuele, S. Evans, R. Giridharan, J.N. Hacker, I. Hamilton, C. Hogg, J. Hunt, M. Kolokotroni, C. Martin, J. Milner, I. Rajapaksha, I. Ridley, J.P. Steadman, J. Stocker, P. Wilkinson and Z. Ye. The comfort, energy and health implications of London's urban heat island. ,. BUILDING SERV ENG RES TECHNOL published online 19 January 2011. http://bse.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/01/12/0143624410394530
- Mumovic,D., Davies,M., Ridley,I., Altamirano-Medina,H., Oreszczyn,T. A Methodology for Post-occupancy Evaluation of Ventilation Rates in Schools. Building Service Engineering Research and Technology 30(2), 143-152. ISSN: 0143-6244
- Saeli, M and Piccirillo, C and Parkin, IP and Binions, R and Ridley, I (2010) Energy modelling studies of thermochromic glazing. ENERG BUILDINGS , 42 (10) , 1666 - 1673. 10.1016/j.enbuild.2010.04.010.
- Saeli, M and Piccirillo, C and Parkin, IP and Binions, R and Ridley, I. Optimisation of Thermochromic Thin Films on Glass; Design of Intelligent Windows. Advances in Science and Technology Vol 75 2010, p79 90. 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AST.75.79
- Saeli, M and Piccirillo, C and Parkin, IP and Ridley, I and Binions, R (2010) Nano-composite thermochromic thin films and their application in energy-efficient glazing. SOL ENERG MAT SOL C , 94 (2) , 141 - 151. 10.1016/j.solmat.2009.08.010.
- Wilkinson,P., Smith,K., Davies,M., Adair,H., Armstrong,B., Barrett,M., Haines,A., Hamilton,I., Oreszczyn,T., Ridley,I., Tonne,C., Chalabi,Z. Public health effects of strategies to reduce green house-gas emissions: household energy. The Lancet 374, . ISSN: 0140-6736
- Haines,A., McMichael,A.J., Smith,K.R., Roberts,I., Woodcock,J., Markandya,A., Armstrong,B,.Campbell-Lendrum,D., Dangour,A.D., Davies,M., Bruce,N., Tonne,C., Barrett,M., Wilkinson,P., Task Force on Climate Change Mitigation and Public Health. Public health effects of strategies to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions: overview and implications for policy makers. The Lancet 374, . ISSN: 0140-6736
- Hamilton I G, Davies M, Ridley I, Oreszczyn T, Hong S, Barratt M & Lowe R. The impact of housing energy efficiency improvements on reduced exposure to cold − the 'temperature take back factor'. Building Service Engineering Research and Technology. Vol 32(1) 85-98. 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0143624410394532
- Hamilton,I., Davies,M., Steadman,P., Stone,A., Ridley,I., Evans,S. (2009). The significance of the anthropogenic heat emissions of London's buildings: A comparison against captured shortwave solar radiation. Building and Environment 44(4), 807-817. ISSN: 0360-1323
- Hutchinson,E.J., Wilkinson,P., Hong,S.H., Oreszczyn,T., Ridley,I. (2009). Can we improve the identification of cold homes for targeted home energy-efficiency improvements? Applied Energy 83(11), 1198-1209. ISSN: 0306-2619
- Mumovic,D., Palmer,J., Davies,M, Orme,M., Ridley,I., Oreszczyn,T., Judd,C., Medina,H.A., Pilmoor,G., Pearson,C., Critchlow,R., Way,P. (2009). Winter Indoor Air Quality, Thermal Comfort and Acoustic Performance of Newly Built Schools in England. Building and Environment 44(7), 1466-1477. ISSN: 0360-1323
- Hong,S.H., Gilbertson,J., Oreszczyn,T., Green,G., Ridley,I. (2008). Field study of thermal comfort in low-income dwellings in England before and after energy efficient refurbishment. Building and Environment 44(6), 1228-1236. ISSN: 0360-1323
- Biddulph,P., Crowther,D., Leung,B., Wilkinson,T., Hart,B., Oreszczyn,T., Pretlove,S., Ridley,I., Ucci,M. (2007). Predicting the population dynamics of the housedust mite Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus (Acari:Pyroglyphidae) in response to a constant hygrothermal environment using a model of the mite life cycle. Experimental and Applied Acarology 41(1-2), 61-86. ISSN: 0168-8162
- Critchley,R., Gilbertson,J., Grimsley,M., Green,G., Ridley,I. (2007). Living in cold homes after heating improvements: Evidence from Warm-Front, England’s Home Energy Efficiency Scheme. Applied Energy 88, 147-158. ISSN: 0306-2619
- Hart,B.J., Crowther,D., Wilkinson,T., Biddulph,P., Ucci,M., Pretlove,S., Ridley,I., Oreszczyn,T. (2007). Reproduction and development of laboratory and wild house dust mites (acari: pyroglyphidae) and their relationship to the natural dust ecosystem. Journal of Medical Entomology 44(4), 568-574. ISSN: 0022-2585
- Ridley,I., Davies,M., Booth,W., Judd,C., Oreszczyn,T., Mumovic,D. (2007). Automatic Ventilation Control of Trickle Ventilators. International Journal of Ventilation 5(4), 417-426. ISSN: 1473-3315
- Crowther,D., Wilkinson,T., Biddulph,P., Oreszczyn,T., Pretlove,S., Ridley,I. (2006). A simple model for predicting the effect of hygrothermal conditions on populations of house dust mite Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus (Acari: Pyroglyphidae) Experimental and Applied Acarology 39(2), 127-148. ISSN: 0168-8162
- Hong, S., Oreszczyn, T., Ridley, I. (2006). The impact of energy efficient refurbishment on the space heating fuel consumption in English dwellings. Energy and Buildings 38(10), 1171-1181. ISSN: 0378-7788
- Oreszczyn,T., Hong,S.H., Ridley,I., Wilkinson,P., Warm Front Study Group (2006). Determinants of winter indoor temperatures in low income households in England. Energy and Buildings 38(3), 245-252. ISSN: 0378-7788
- Oreszczyn,T., Ridley,I., Wilkinson,P., Hong,S.H., Warm Front Study Group (2006). Mould and Winter Indoor Relative Humidity in Low Income Households in England. Indoor and Built Environment 15(2), 125-135. ISSN: 1420-326X