Dr. Denis Yu received his A.B. (Physics) in 1995 from Princeton University and PhD in 2003 (Applied Physics) from Harvard University. After completing his PhD, he moved to Japan to work as an engineer at the Energy R&D Laboratory at SANYO Electric Co. Ltd., developing cathode and anode materials for Li-ion batteries. In mid 2011, he joined the Energy Research Institute at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, leading the battery and energy storage effort, as well as serving as a co-PI at the TUM CREATE Centre for Electromobility. In June 2013, he joined the City University of Hong Kong as an assistant professor.
Dr. Yu’s research focus is on studying materials for energy storage, centering on examining the effect of surface chemistry and structure on electrochemical performance, as well as on the long-term stability and safety of materials for batteries and supercapacitors. Topics of interest includes
- effect of size on electrochemical performance
- nano-architecturing of battery materials
- understanding effect of electrode configuration and electrolyte
- high voltage battery materials
- mechanical properties of battery materials
- novel sodium-ion battery materials
Potential graduate students interested in studying battery mechanisms are welcomed to contact Dr. Denis Yu. Applicants will have to go through a centralized admission process through the City University of Hong Kong. The next intake of graduate student will be for the academic year starting from September 2017.
Research assistant/fellow to develop materials for supercapacitors
Duties: perform laboratory work to construct, test and analyze supercapacitors
Requirement: prior experience with research on supercapacitors
Application: please send cover letter, CV to Dr. Denis Yu at email@example.com
Selected Journal Publications
- H. Zhou, Y. Li, J. Zhang, W. Kang, D.Y.W. Yu*, “Low-temperature one-step synthesis of layered m-LiMnO2 for lithium-ion battery applications, Journal of Alloys and Compounds (2016), 248-254. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2015.11.038
- J. Zhang, W. Wang, Y. Li, D.Y.W. Yu* “Sodium storage capability of spinel Li4Mn5O12”, Electrochimica Acta (2015) 185, 76-82. DOI: 10.1016/j.electacta.2015.10.101
- W. Kang, Z. Zhang, P.-K. Lee, T.-W. Ng, W. Li, Y. Tang, W. Zhang, C.-S. Lee, D.Y.W. Yu* “Copper substituted P2-type Na0.67CuxMn1-xO2: a stable high-power sodium-ion battery cathode, Journal of Material Chemistry A (2015) 3, 22846-22852. DOI: 10.1039/c5ta06371j.
- Z.-T. Shi, W. Kang, J. Xu*, L.-Lu. Sun, C. Wu, L. Wang, Y.-Q. Yu, D.Y.W. Yu*, W. Zhang, C.-S. Lee*, “In-situ carbon doped Mo(Se0.85S0.15)2 hierarchical nanotubes as stable anode for high performance sodium-ion batteries”, Small (2015) DOI: 10.1002/smll.201501360
- W. Kang, D.Y.W. Yu, W. Li, Z. Zhang, X. Yang, T.-W. Ng, R. Zou, Y. Tang, W. Zhang, C.-S. Lee, “Nanostructured porous manganese carbonate spheres with capacitive effects on the high lithium storage capability”, Nanoscale (2015). DOI: 10.1039/C5NR01843A
- D.Y.W. Yu*, M. Zhao and H. E. Hoster “Suppressing vertical displacement of lithiated silicon particles in high volumetric capacity battery electrodes”, ChemElectroChem (2015). DOI: 10.1002/celc.201500133
- H. Xue, D.Y.W. Yu, J. Qing, X. Yang, J. Xu, Z. Li, M. Sun, W. Kang, Y. Tang, C.-S. Lee, “Pyrite FeS2 microspheres wrapped by reduced graphene oxide as high-performance lithium-ion battery anodes” J. Mater. Chem. A (2015) DOI: 10.1039/C5TA00988J.
- D.Y.W. Yu, S. K. Batabyal, J. Gun, S. Sladkevich, A. A. Miklaylov, A. G. Medvedev, V. M. Novotortsev, O. Lev, P. V. Prikhodchenko, “Antimony and antimony oxide@graphene oxide obtained by the peroxide route as anodes for lithium-ion batteries”, Main Group Met. Chem. (2015) 38, 43.
- J. Geder, J. H. Song, S. H. Kang, D.Y.W. Yu, “Thermal stability of lithium-rich manganese-based cathode”, Solid State Ionics (2014) 268, 242-246.
- A. Nagasubrmanian, D.Y.W. Yu, H. Hoster, M. Srinivasan “Enhanced cycling stability of o-LiMnO2 cathode modified by lithium boron oxide coating for lithium-ion batteries”, J. Solid State Electrochem. (2014) 18, 1-8. DOI 10.1007/s10008-014-2421-3
- P. V. Prikhodchenko, D.Y.W. Yu, S. K. Batabyal, V. Uvarov, J. Gun, S. Sladkevich, A. A. Miklaylov, A. G. Medvedev and O. Lev, “Nanocrystalline tin disulfide coating of reduced graphene oxide produced by the peroxostannate deposition route for sodium ion battery anodes”, J. Mater. Chem. A (2014) 2, 8431-8437. Doi:10.1039/c3ta15248k
- D.Y.W.Yu, Harry E. Hoster and S.K. Batabyal, “Bulk antimony sulfide with excellent cycle stability as next-generation anode for lithium-ion batteries”, Scientific Reports (2014) 4:4562. doi:10.1038/srep04562
- N. Bucher, S. Hartung, D.Y.W. Yu, M. Arkhipova, P. Kratzer, G. Maas, M. Srinivasan, H. E. Hoster, “A novel ionic liquid for Li ion batteries – uniting the advantages of guanidinium and piperidinium”, RSC Advances (2014) 4, 1996-2003.
- A. Rinaldi, O. Wijaya, H. Hoster and D.Y.W. Yu “How seeding influences discharge capacities of Li-O2 batteries (history effect in Li-O2 battery)”, Chem. Sus. Chem. (2014) 7, 1283-1288. DOI: 10.1002/cssc.201300986
- J. Geder, H. E. Hoster, A. Jossen, J. Garche and D.Y.W.Yu “Impact of active material surface area on thermal stability of LiCoO2 cathode”, J. Power Sources (2014) 257, 286-292.
- D.Y.W. Yu, R. L. Lee, R. Yi, S. Y. Chiam, P. D. Tran, “Electrochemical characterization of novel layered Cu2MS4 materials for Li-ion batteries (M = Mo)”, Electrochim. Acta (2014), 115, 337-343.
- C.W. Mason, I.D. Gocheva, H.E. Hoster and D.Y.W. Yu “Iron (III) Sulfate: A Stable, Cost Effective Electrode Material for Sodium Ion Batteries”, Chem. Comm. (2014) DOI:10.1039/C3CC47557C.
- D.Y.W. Yu, P.V. Prikhodchenko, C.W. Mason, S.K. Batabyal, J. Gun, S. Sladkevich, A. Medvedev and O. Lev, “High-capacity antimony sulphide nanoparticle-decorated graphene composite as anode for sodium-ion batteries” Nature Communications (2013) DOI: 10.1038/ncomms3922.
- L.F. Lai, J. Zhu, Z. Li, D.Y.W. Yu, S. Jiang, X. Cai, Q. Yan, Y. M. Lam, Z. Shen, J. Lin, “Co3O4/nitrogen modified graphene electrode as Li-ion battery anode with high reversible capacity and improved initial cycle performance”, Nano Energy (2013) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoen.2013.05.014.
- H. Yu, X. Rui,H. Tan, J. Chen, X. Huang, C. Xu, W. Liu, D.Y.W. Yu, H.H. Hng, H.E. Hoster, Q. Yan, “Cu Doped V2O5 Flowers as Cathode Material for High-Performance Lithium Ion Batteries”, Nanoscale (2013), 5 (11), 4937-4943.
- D. Yang, J. Zhu, X. Rui, H. Tan, R. Cai, H.E. Hoster, D.Y.W. Yu, H.H. Hng, Q. Yan, “Synthesis of Cobalt Phosphides and Their Application as Anodes for Lithium Ion Batteries”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (2013), 5, 1093-1099.
- Y. Luo, J. Luo, W. Zhou, X. Qi, H. Zhang, D.Y.W. Yu, C.M. Li, H.J. Fan and T. Yu, “Controlled synthesis of hierarchical graphene-wrapped TiO2@Co3O4 coaxial nanobelt arrays for high-performance lithium storage”, J. Mater. Chem. A (2013), 1, 273-281.
- W. Zhou, Y.Y. Tay, X. Jia, D.Y.W. Yu, J. Jiang, H.H. Hng and T. Yu, “Controlled Growth of SnO2@Fe2O3 Double-sided Nanocombs as Anodes for Lithium-ion Batteries”, Nanoscale (2012) 4, 4459-4463.
- P. V. Prikhodchenko, J. Gun, S. Sladkevich, A. Mikhaylov, O. Lev, Y.Y. Tay, S. K. Batabyal, D.Y.W. Yu, “Conversion of hydroperoxoantimonate coated graphenes to Sb2S3@Graphene for a superior lithium battery anode”, Chem. Mater.24, 4750 (2012).
- D.Y.W. Yu, Y. Reynier, J. Dodd Cardema, Y. Ozawa and R. Yazami, “Thermodynamic Study of Lithium-ion Battery Materials”, MRS proceedings, Vol. 1388 (2012).
- Y. Luo, J. Jiang, W. Zhou, H. Yang, J. Jiang, X. Qi, H. Zhang, D.Y.W. Yu, C.M. Li and T. Yu, “Self-assembly of Well-ordered Whisker-like Manganese Oxide Arrays on Carbon Fiber Paper and Its Application as Electrode Material for Supercapacitors”, J. Mater. Chem. 22, 8634 (2012).
- Y. Luo, J. Luo, J. Jiang, W. Zhou, H. Yang, X. Qi, H. Zhang, H. Fan, D.Y.W. Yu, C.M. Li and T. Yu, “Seed-assisted Synthesis of Highly Ordered TiO2@α-Fe2O3 Core/Shell Arrays on Carbon Textiles for Lithium-ion Battery Applications”, Energy Environ. Sci. 5, 6559 (2012).
- Y. Zeng, W. Zhang, C. Xu, N. Xiao, D.Y.W. Yu, Y. Huang, H.H. Hng, Q. Yan, “One-Step Solvothermal Synthesis of Single Crystalline TiOF2 Nanotubes with High Lithium-ion Battery Performance”, Chem. Eur. J. 18, 4026 (2012).
- D.Y.W. Yu and K. Yanagida, “Structural Analysis of Li2MnO3 and Related Li-Mn-O Materials”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 158, A1015 (2011).
- D.Y.W. Yu, K. Yanagida and H. Nakamura, “Surface modification of Li-excess Mn-based cathode materials”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 157, A1177 (2010).
- D.Y.W. Yu, K. Yanagida, Y. Kato and H. Nakamura, “Electrochemical activities in Li2MnO3”, J. Electrochem. Soc., 156, A417 (2009).
- D.Y.W. Yu, K. Donoue, T. Kadohata, T. Murata, S. Matsuta and S. Fujitani, “Impurities in LiFePO4 and their influence on material characteristics”, J. Electrochem. Soc., 155, A526 (2008).
- D.Y.W. Yu, C. Fietzek, W. Weydanz, K. Donoue, T. Inoue, H. Kurokawa and S. Fujitani, “Study of LiFePO4 by cyclic voltammetry”, J. Electrochem. Soc., 154, A253 (2007).
- D.Y.W. Yu, K. Donoue, T. Inoue, M. Fujimoto and S. Fujitani, "Effect of electrode parameters on LiFePO4 cathodes", J. Electrochem. Soc., 153, A835 (2006).