ITSP supports midstream/downstream research and development (R&D) projects undertaken mainly by universities, R&D Centres, industry support organizations, professional bodies and trade and industry associations. Tier 2 involves the funding of applied R&D projects which are industry-oriented and have good potential for commercialization.
Applications under the themes of “Smart Technologies for Helping Combat Climate Change”, “Healthy Ageing”, “Smart City”, “Cyber Security” and “FinTech (Technologies for financial services)” are particularly invited.
Programmes for Application
(1) Platform Research Projects - Each application requires industry sponsorship support from at least one private company with total cash/in-kind contribution of no less than 10% of the total project cost. Financial contribution from other sources (e.g. university, charitable organizations, venture capitalists, individuals, etc) is welcome, but is not mandatory and cannot be counted as part of the industry sponsorship.
Waiver of industry sponsorship
requirement for Platform Research Projects
ITC may consider waiving the sponsorship requirement for projects initiated by Government bureaux/departments and statutory bodies#. Applicants who wish to apply for the waiver should include the following information in the proposal:
- indicate clearly the application for waiver of industry sponsorship requirement
- justification and supporting information showing there are difficulties in seeking industry sponsorship in the prevailing circumstances and the proposed project has clear community interests
- a letter of support from the relevant bureau/department or statutory body#
# ‘statutory bodies’ do not include local universities, R&D Centres and other designated public research institutes under the ITSP.
(2) Collaborative Research Projects - Each application requires cash and/or in-kind contribution of no less than 50% of the total project cost from an industry co-applicant. The industry co-applicant can either be a private company incorporated in Hong Kong under the Companies Ordinance, an industry support organization, a trade and industry association or a professional body which has the legal capacity to enter into contracts.
For Collaborative Research Projects, the industry co-applicant may own the IPR(s) arising from the proposed project. CityU will contact the industry co-applicant before proposal submission for negotiation on benefit/profit sharing between both parties.
Internal Deadline: 20 March 2017
ITC Deadline: 31 March 2017
Cash Rebate for Company Sponsors of ITF Projects
Company sponsors will receive a cash rebate equivalent to 40% of its expenditure (cash and in-kind contributions) in the funded ITF projects. Details of the ITC Cash Rebate Scheme is available at the ITC website: http://www.itc.gov.hk/en/funding/crs.htm
Submission of Application
Applications should be submitted either:
|a.||electronically through the ITCFAS II at the ITF website: https://itcfas.itf.gov.hk/itcfas/ or|
|b.||by hardcopy (with an electronic copy in MS WORD 2010 or above) to RO (email: email@example.com)|
|Please also send the completed Endorsement form to RO via Head and Dean.|
the following budget items in each application:
2) Administrative overhead charge:
ITC website: http://www.itf.gov.hk/l-eng/ITSP.asp