Media and Communication
Aims of Major
This major aims to provide students with current knowledge of theories and practices of media and communication from an interdisciplinary perspective. It seeks to develop students’ critical and creative abilities in discovering and understanding the processes and structure of media and communication in their daily lives. By comparing and contrasting real-world examples, students will be able to apply the relevant theories and appropriate methods to analyse the interplay between media and society in various contexts and at different levels. The integrated curriculum is also designed to provide opportunities and platforms for students to explore their potential as well-rounded professional in media-related fields.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of this major, students should be able to:
1. Command verbal, written and visual skills and knowledge in English and Chinese to design and implement effective communication tasks in such professional fields as journalism, publishing, advertising, public relations, and new media
2. Explore, through real-world experience, the changing media and communication infrastructure and resources amid the current media landscapes
3. Discover relevant body of knowledge and research involving the interplay among media, communication and society
4. Demonstrate the ability and knowledge to identify the issues and problems concerning the form and content of communication in the global society
5. Apply appropriate theories and research methods to conceive, analyze and evaluate solutions to practical communication problems in various public and private sectors
6. Become an ethical professional who understands the legal implications, considerations and practices that guide media and business professions and assumes a strong sense of social responsibility
No sharing of courses between major and minor requirements is allowed.