Pakpong Chirarattananon received his Bachelor and Master degrees from University of Cambridge, UK, and a Ph.D. degree from Harvard University under the supervision of Professor Robert Wood in 2014. His graduate work was centred on the dynamics and control for insect-scale flapping-wing robots. Since December 2014, he has joined the Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering and founded the Robotics and Intelligent Systems laboratory at City University of Hong Kong.
Applications of control and dynamic system theories to address challenges in biologically-inspired robotic systems, flapping-wing robots, and micro aerial vehicles. Uses of intelligent mechanism to solve dynamics and control problems. Enhancing the performance of robotic devices through improved understanding of interactions between actuation, dynamics, control, environmental factors.
Graduate student researchers
The Robotics and Intelligent Systems Lab recruit 2-3 exceptionally qualified graduate students annually. Interested candidates are encouraged to contact Dr. Chirarattananon in the application process and consider applying to the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.
For more information, please visit:
Awards and Achievements
- 2016 “The President Awards ” City University of Hong Kong. In recognition of the achievements of high-achieving faculty whose exemplary contributions to research and professional education.
- 2014 “Best Paper Award Finalist” IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BIOROB), 2014..
- 2013 “Best Student Paper Award Finalist” IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2013..
- 2011 “Best Paper in Biomimetics Award Finalist” IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), 2011..
- Chirarattananon, P. , Chen, Y. , Helbling, E. , Ma, K. , Cheng, R. & Wood, R. (2017). Dynamics and flight control of a flapping- wing robotic insect in the presence of wind gusts. Interface Focus. 7/1. 20160080 .
- Fuller, S. , Teoh, Z. , Chirarattananon, P. , Perez-Arancibia, N. , Greenberg, J. & Wood, R. (2017). Stabilizing air dampers for hovering aerial robotics: design, insect-scale flight tests, and scaling. Autonomous Robots.
- Graule, M. , Chirarattananon, P. , Fuller, S. , Jafferis, N. , Ma, K. , Spenko, M. , Kornbluh, R. & Wood, R. (May 2016). Perching and takeoff of a robotic insect on overhangs using switchable electrostatic adhesion. Science. 352/6288. 978 - 982.
- Chirarattananon, P. , Ma, K. Y. & Wood, R. J. (Feb 2016). Perching with a robotic insect using adaptive tracking control and iterative learning control,. International Journal of Robotics Research. 35/10. 1185 - 1206.
- Shyy, W. , Kang, C. , Chirarattananon, P. , Ravi, S. & Liu, H. (Jan 2016). Aerodynamics, sensing, and control of insect-scale flapping-wing flight. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 472/2186.
- Chirarattananon, P. , Ma, K. Y. & Wood, R. J. (2014). Adaptive control of a millimeter-scale flapping-wing robot. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics. 9/2. 025004 .
- Ma, K. Y. , Chirarattananon, P. , Fuller, S. B. & Wood, R. J. (2013). Controlled flight of a biologically inspired, insect-scale robot, Science, vol. 340, no. 6132, pp. 603–607,. Science. 340/6132. 603 - 607.
- Ma, K. Y. , Chirarattananon, P. & Wood, R. J. (2015). Design and Fabrication of an Insect-Scale Flying Robot for Control Autonomy. 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. IEEE.
- Chirarattananon, P. , Ma, K. Y. & Wood, R. J. (2015). Wind Disturbance Rejection for an Insect-Scale Flapping-Wing Robot. 2015 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. IEEE.
- Chirarattananon, P. , Ma, K. Y. & Wood, R. J. (2014). Fly on the wall. 2014 IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomecha- tronics (BioRob). IEEE.
- Assistant Professor, City University of Hong Kong, December 2014 to Present
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Harvard University, September 2014 to November 2014
- Ph.D., Engineering Sciences, Harvard University, USA, 2014
- S.M., Engineering Sciences, Harvard University, USA, 2013
- M.Phil., Computational Biology, Cambridge University, UK, 2010
- B.A., Natural Sciences, Cambridge University, UK, 2009
Last update date :
17 Aug 2021