Prof. C. K. Michael Tse (謝智剛教授)
BEng(Hons), PhD (Melbourne), FIEEE, FIEAust
Associate Vice-President (Strategic Research) and Chair Professor of Electrical Engineering
- Power electronics and smart grid
- Nonlinear circuits and systems
- Complex network applications
- Pandemic spreading model and data analytics
Chi K. Michael Tse received the BEng degree with first class honors and the PhD degree from the University of Melbourne, Australia. He is presently Associate Vice-President (Strategic Research) and Chair Professor of Electrical Engineering at City University of Hong Kong. He has been appointed to honorary professorship and distinguished fellowship by a few Australian, Canadian and Chinese universities, including the Chang Jiang Scholar Chair Professor with Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Honorary Professor of Melbourne University, Distinguished International Research Fellow with the University of Calgary, and Distinguished Professor-at-Large with the University of Western Australia. His research interests include complex network applications, power electronics, smart power distribution and nonlinear systems. The IEEE Circuits and Systems Society awarded him the IEEE CASS Charles A. Desoer Technical Achievement Award 2022 in recognition of his outstanding contributions and continued leadership in the development of research in complex behavior of power electronics and energy systems. He was listed in the top 2% of the World's Most Cited Scientists by a recent Stanford study released in October 2022, and was ranked 1st in Hong Kong, 3rd in China and 32nd worldwide for his career-long impact in the subfield of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- 2013 - 2015, Council Member & Council Executive Committee Member, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- 2005 - 2012, Head of Electronic and Information Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- 2005 - 2019, Chair Professor of Electronic Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- 1999 - 2019, Various university committees and taskforces, Hong Kong Polytechnic University. These include Chairman of President's Policy Advisory Committee, Culture Promotion Committee, Grievance Committee, Catering Committee, General Education Committee, Academic Appeal Taskforce, UGC ADP Taskforce, Service Learning Subcommittee, etc.; and member of University Staffing Committee (Chair Professors), Search Committees for Heads/Deans, Research Committee, Staff Discipline Committee, etc.
- 2021 - 2023, Chairman, Quality Education Fund (QEF) Taskforce on eLearning Ancillary Facilities Programme.
- 2021 - 2023, Member, Advisory Committee on Gifted Education (ACGE).
- 2021 - 2022, Member, Board of Directors, Hong Kong Nano and Advanced Materials Institute (NAMI).
- 2020 - 2022, Member, HKIE Accreditation Committee (Computer Science).
- 2019 - Now, Member, Quality Education Fund (QEF) Dissemination and Promotion Subcommittee.
- 2017 - Now, Member, ITF Enterprise Support Scheme (ITF ESS) Assessment Panel.
- 2017 - 2020, Member, Hong Kong Science Park Incubation Programme Assessment Panel.
- 2015 - 2021, Member, Board of Governors, Hong Kong Sinfonietta.
- 2015 - 2020, Member, Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) Assessment Panel.
- 2013 - 2018, Member, RGC Joint Research Schemes Panel.
- 2012 - 2018, Member, Quality Education Fund (QEF) Steering Committee.
- 2011 - 2017, Member, Quality Education Fund (QEF) Assessment & Monitoring Subcommittee.
- 2006 - 2013, Member, RGC Engineering Panel.
- 2022 - Now, Member, IEEE Smart Grid Steering Committee, IEEE.
- 2022 - 2023, Member, President's Advisory Committee, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society.
- 2021, Chairman, IEEE Vitold Belevitch Circuits and Systems Award Selection Committee.
- 2021 - 2022, Member, Editorial Board, IEEE Proceedings.
- 2020, Member, IEEE Mac Van Valkenburg Award Selection Committee.
- 2020 - 2021, Member, IEEE CAS Society Fellows Evaluation Committee.
- 2019 - 2021, Member, IEEE CAS Society Distinguished Lecturer Selection Committee.
- 2016 - 2019, Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions Circuits and Systems II.
- 2016 - Now, Editor-in-Chief, IEICE Nonlinear Theory and Its Applications, Japan.
- 2016, Member, IEEE Fellows Committee.
- 2015 - 2019, Assessor, Lite-On Technologies Research Fund, Lite-On Technologies Limited.
- 2015 - 2018, Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine.
- 2012 - 2019, Editor, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications.
- 2012 - 2015, Member, IEEE Awards Committee.
- 2008 - 2009, Chairman, IEEE Technical Committee on Nonlinear Circuits & Systems.
- 2007, Member, IEEE CAS Society Fellows Evaluation Committee, IEEE.
- 2000 - Now, Consultant/Adjunct/Guest Professor, various universities in China.
Latest Research News
- IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics Best Paper (Second Place) Award 2021
Winning Paper: Y. C. Liu, J. Zhang, C. K. Tse, C. Zhu, and S. C. Wong, "General pathways to higher order compensation circuits for IPT converters via sensitivity analysis," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 9897-9906, September 2021.
[ Keynote Lecture on this Topic (Verbal Summary of the Key Concepts) ]
- Power Grids in the Midst of Rapidly Increasing Penetration of Power Electronics
Invited Paper: C. K. Tse, M. Huang, X. Zhang, D. Liu, and X. L. Li, "Circuits and systems issues in power electronics penetrated power grid," IEEE Open Journal of Circuits and Systems, vol. 1, pp. 140-156, September 2020.
[ Link to Publication ]
Invited Open Lecture, IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems 2020, Seville, Spain
[ Download Presentation Slides ]
[ YouTube Recording of HKIAS Lecture (April 2022)]
[ EE YouTube Video ]
- Modelling of the Spread of COVID-19 with Travel Data and Incomplete Infection Data
Latest Reference: C. Zhan, L. Shao, X. Zhang, Z. Yin, Y. Gao, C. K. Tse, D. Yang, D. Wu, and H. Zhang, "Estimating unconfirmed COVID-19 infection cases and multiple waves of pandemic progression with consideration of testing capacity and non-pharmaceutical interventions: a dynamic spreading model," Information Sciences, vol. 607, pp. 418-439, August 2022.
Earliest finding on China data pre-published on Feb 18, 2020 on medRixv.org and formally published in PLoS ONE.
[ Link to Publication ]
[ Download Presentation Slides ]
[ Recorded Zoom Lecture at Univ. Western Australia (Aug 2020) ]
[ EE YouTube Video (Sept 2020) ]
Publications — Books and Monographs
- 王世元、黃錦旺、謝智剛、蔣雲翔、馮久超，「非線性卡爾曼濾波器原理及應用」，北京: 電子工業出版社. ISBN 978-7-12126280-7，2015年6月.
- 劉肖凡、謝智剛，「知諸網：網絡科學及其在藝術、金融和社會學中的應用」，北京: 科學出版社. ISBN 978-7-03043109-7，2015年2月.
- 陳宏濱、馮久超、謝智剛，「傳感器網絡中的盲源分離與信號重構」，北京: 北京電子工業出版社. ISBN 978-7-121-18770-4，2012年11月.
- 陳秀聰、黎沃銘、 謝智剛， 「電力電子變換器的滑模控制技術與實現」，電子工業出版社. ISBN 978-7-121-17872-6，2012年8月.
- S. C. Tan, Y. M. Lai, and C. K. Tse, Sliding Mode Control of Switching Power Converters: Techniques and Implementation, Boca Raton: CRC Press, ISBN 9781439830253, 2012.
- 譚偉文、劉重明、謝智剛， 「數字混沌通信：多址方式及性能評估」. ISBN 978-7-03019030-7，2007年6月.
- J. Feng and C. K. Tse, Reconstruction of Chaotic Signals with Applications to Chaos-Based Communications, Tsinghua University Press / Singapore: World-Scientific Publisher, 2007.
- W. M. Tam, F. C. M. Lau, and C. K. Tse, Digital Communications with Chaos: Multiple Access Techniques and Performance Evaluation, London: Elsevier, 2006.
- F. C. M. Lau and C. K. Tse, Chaos-Based Digital Communication Systems: Operating Principles, Analytical Methods and Performance Evaluation, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-00602-8, 2003.
- C. K. Tse, Complex Behavior of Switching Power Converters, Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2003.
- C. K. Tse, Analisis Rangkaian Linear, Indonesian Language Edition. Indonesia: Penerbit Erlangga. ISBN 979-688-484-4, 2002.
- C. K. Tse, Linear Circuit Analysis, London: Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-34296-0, 1998.
- List of Publications (Books, Journals and Conferences)
- Google Scholar (h-index = 86; citations > 29000)
Last update date :
20 Dec 2022