Yuefei Ruan obtained her Bachelor's and Master's degrees at Nankai University in 2011 and 2014, respectively. She received doctoral and postdoctoral training at City University of Hong Kong (CityU) from 2014 to 2019, supervised by Prof. Paul Kwan-sing Lam. Then she joined State Key Laboratory of Marine Pollution (SKLMP), CityU as Research Fellow until April 2021. She is currently working as Research Assistant Professor at SKLMP, holding a concurrent appointment as Visiting Assistant Professor at Department of Chemistry (CHEM), CityU.
Environmental Analytical Chemistry
Sensitive quantitative methods for the trace analysis of organic pollutants; Suspect and non-target screening for the identification of novel/unknown organic pollutants; Enantiomeric chromatographic separations; Extraction and clean-up strategies for complex environmental matrices.
Emerging Chemicals of Concern
Including but not limited to: Halogenated flame retardants (HFRs); Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs); Pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs); Phycotoxins/algal toxins; Bisphenol analogues; Chiral/stereospecific pollutants/contaminants.
Coastal, estuarine, and marine ecosystems; Occurrence, transport, and fate; Source and sink; Phase partitioning; Spatiotemporal trend; Trophic transfer; Bioindicator/sentinel species.
Ecotoxicology and Environmental Risk Assessment
Toxicodynamics and toxicokinetics; Suspected metabolites; Model species; Hazard quotient; Probabilistic approach; Species sensitivity distribution.
Selected Publications (*corresponding author)
- Wang Q, Ruan Y*, Jin L, Zhang X, Li J, Wei S, He Y, Lam JC, Lam PK*, 2021. Target, non-target and suspect screening and temporal trend of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances in marine mammals from the South China Sea. Environmental Science & Technology, 55: 1045−1056. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.0c06685
- Wu R, Ruan Y*, Lin H, Feng H, Lam PK*, 2021. Occurrence and fate of psychiatric drugs in wastewater treatment plants in Hong Kong: wastewater-based epidemiology and enantiomeric profiling. ACS ES&T Water, 1: 542−552. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsestwater.0c00081
- Feng H, Cheng Y, Ruan Y*, Tsui MM, Wang Q, Jin J, Wu R, Zhang H, Lam PK, 2021. Occurrence and spatial distribution of legacy and novel brominated flame retardants in seawater and sediments of the South China Sea. Environmental Pollution, 271: 116324. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2020.116324
- Lao J-Y, Li T-Y, Wu R, Ruan Y*, Zeng EY, Wu J, Lam PK*, 2021. Tracing human footprint and the fate of atmospheric polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons over the Pearl River Estuary, China: Importance of particle size. Science of the Total Environment, 767: 144267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.144267
- Ruan Y, Lin H, Zhang X, Wu R, Zhang K, Leung KM, Lam JC*, Lam PK*, 2020. Enantiomer-specific bioaccumulation and distribution of chiral pharmaceuticals in a subtropical marine food web. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 394: 122589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2020.122589
- Wang Q, Ruan Y*, Lin H, Lam PK, 2020. Review on perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) in the Chinese atmospheric environment. Science of the Total Environment, 737: 139804. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.139804
- Ruan Y, Wu R, Lam JC*, Zhang K, Lam PK*, 2019. Seasonal occurrence and fate of chiral pharmaceuticals in different sewage treatment systems in Hong Kong: Mass balance, enantiomeric profiling, and risk assessment. Water Research, 149: 607−616. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2018.11.010
- Ruan Y, Zhang K, Lam JC*, Wu R, Lam PK*, 2019. Stereoisomer-specific occurrence, distribution, and fate of chiral brominated flame retardants in different wastewater treatment systems in Hong Kong. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 374: 211−218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2019.04.041
- Ruan Y, Zhang K*, Wu C, Wu R, Lam PK, 2019. A preliminary screening of HBCD enantiomers transported by microplastics in wastewater treatment plants. Science of the Total Environment, 674: 171−178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.04.007
- Ruan Y, Lalwani D, Kwok KY, Yamazaki E, Taniyasu S, Kumar JN, Lam PK, Yamashita N*, 2019. Assessing exposure to legacy and emerging per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances via hair – the first nationwide survey in India. Chemosphere, 229: 366−373. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2019.04.195
- Ruan Y, Zhang X, Qiu J-W, Leung KM, Lam JC*, Lam PK*, 2018. Stereoisomer-specific trophodynamics of the chiral brominated flame retardants HBCD and TBECH in a marine food web, with implications for human exposure. Environmental Science & Technology, 52: 8183−8193. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b02206
- Ruan Y, Lam JC*, Zhang X, Lam PK*, 2018. Temporal changes and stereoisomeric compositions of 1,2,5,6,9,10-hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) and 1,2-dibromo-4-(1,2-dibromoethyl)cyclohexane (TBECH) in marine mammals from the South China Sea. Environmental Science & Technology, 52: 2517−2526. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.7b05387
Last update date :
30 Aug 2021