Support for Students
Kick-off of “CityU CAReer Launch Scheme 2.0” for Class of 2021 Graduates- 21-May-2021
Riding on the achievements and positive outcomes of the “CityU CAReer Launch Scheme” (CARLS 1.0), which was designed to support the job landing of CityU graduates in 2020, a strengthened version -- CARLS 2.0 has been launched in late April 2021 to support graduating students of Class of 2021.
In just three weeks since the launch of the employer outreach campaign, over 5,000 employers have been contacted, and over 1,300 full-time job vacancies have been received. The job information is now accessible on the online platform JobPlus via AIMS.
The University’s Task Force has been working tirelessly with the Career and Leadership Centre (CLC) of
Student Development Services (SDS) to drive the project by coordinating support from
Colleges/Schools, Alumni Relation Office, Development Office, and HK Tech 300 Team in the Office of
the Vice-President (Research & Technology) for job solicitation through the employer outreach
Key features of CARLS 2.0 include:
● Matching fund for employers, who provide work opportunities for CityU graduates, at 1/3 of
his/her monthly salary, capped at HK$6,000 per CityU graduate per month, for up to 3 months;
● Professional support on job search and career consultation from our dedicated team of career
● Special online job postings and alerts to facilitate job search;
● An online platform JobPlus for Class of 2021 graduates to view the job information under
CARLS 2.0 through AIMS;
● An online Job Expo platform to share participated employers’ information and job openings.
In addition, a team of 7 Careers and Employability Consultants (CECs) attached to Colleges and
Schools (details can be found HERE) has been assembled to provide one-on-one career coaching, CV
polishing, job matching and employer network support under CARLS 2.0.
Round off the remarkable accomplishments of CARLS 2020 - 18-Dec-2020
Endowed with perspicacity and leadership of President Way Kuo, CityU took the initiative to set aside special funding and set up a focused task force to provide additional support to graduating students in job landing. In June 2020, CARer Launch Scheme (CARLS) was launched as an innovative win-win initiative designed to maximise employment opportunities and job landing of Class of 2020 graduates.
With the staunch supports from our industry partners, employers, alumni and trade associations, CARLS solicited as many as 2,000 job opportunities from different industries. Our College-based Careers and Employability Consultants provided job-matching services and one-on-one career consultations for Class of 2020 graduates for their job search. Tireless efforts and contributions were made by our colleagues from Colleges and Schools as well as Career and Leadership Centre of Student Development Services, and well paid off with 700+ graduates having secured their employment and started their career journey through CARLS amid this difficult time.
To mark the successful completion of CARLS since its inception in late May 2020, I would like to share with you its key achievements as follows.
- 140 of employers participated in CARLS
- 1,910+ job vacancies were created for 2020 CityU graduates
- 700+ 2020 CityU graduates secured offers under this Scheme
- 5,460+ students searched CARLS jobs on JobPlus, with a total of 38,630+ page access
- 2,170+ current CityU graduates attended one-on-one career and job search consultations
- 16 press and media coverages on CARLS were recorded between 24 June and 29 November
Feedback from employers and graduates on CARLS:
- “FinTech is nothing new to the community but to identify a right candidate to start his/her FinTech career with us is always a big challenge. We are happy to have 3 graduates from CityU onboarded through the CAReer Launch Scheme in July 2020. The Scheme is highly successful and helpful to both graduates and our company. We received encouraging feedbacks and applications from graduates with impressive quality. Big thanks to CityU, and we wish the Scheme a great success.” - FundingReach Holdings Limited
- “The CAReer Launch Scheme provides me a One-on-One Consultation opportunity with an experienced career consultant. My career consultant is a really kind and friendly person, giving me so much helpful advices on my career path. She also teaches me how to tackle the details in employment contract to safeguard my interest. Her recommendation gives me a big hand to resolve my struggle.” - a 2020 graduating student
More sharing from employers and participating students in CityU CARLS can be found on the CARLS website.
CityU Career Launch Scheme (CARLS) - 19-Jun-2020
Over 2,700 industry partners, employers, alumni, and trade associations have been contacted in the first week. More employers will be outreached in the following weeks.
Moreover, CityU “Career Month” has been on-going since 25 May to support our students to develop essential job search skills and keep abreast of the latest development of various industries for job landing. With the overwhelming support from our employer partners and alumni, so far over 60 workshops, seminars and recruitment talks have been conducted online via Zoom, with an impressive student attendance record of over 1,400.
For details, please visit https://www.cityu.edu.hk/graduates-employability/CARLS.htm
CARLS section under JobPlus on AIMS for 2020 fresh graduates
A team of 8 Career Consultants attached to Colleges and Schools providing career coaching and job matching support to our students under CARLS.
|Department/ School/ College||Career Employability Consultant||Contact Number|
|College of Business (CB)||Ms. Tiffany Man||3442 email@example.com|
|College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS)||Ms. Hester Cheng
Ms. Irene Yiu
|College of Engineering (CENG)||Ms. Kady Wu
Mr. Frederick Wu
Ms. ST Chan
|Career and Leadership Centre (CLC)
College of Science (CSCI)
School of Energy and Environment (SEE)
School of Law (SLW)
|Ms. Jacqueline Lo||3442 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|School of Creative Media (SCM)||Mr. Keith Lau||3442 4413||
University Emergency Fund
The University is very concerned about the safety of students who are now staying in overseas countries on exchange programmes. It is acknowledged that some students may encounter immediate and urgent financial problems due to the abrupt change of plans. As such, the University through the University Emergency Fund, will render assistance to those students who have immediate and urgent need triggered by the Covid-19 outbreak overseas.
Students in need may contact GEO with their justification for applying for the emergency fund. For enquiries, student may contact the Global Engagement Office at email@example.com.