1. How to apply for a bed space?
There are two rounds application for UG Local Students.
Round I is in mid Mar for current students and Round II is in mid Aug for freshmen.
2. What criteria are required for successful application (for students without hall
experience)? I can’t login AIMS, what should I do?
- Score A (Need-based): "Home Environment and Commuting Time"/
- Score B (Merit-based): the combined scores of "Leadership Qualities and Potential Contribution to Residence Life" those students failing to get the hall offer via Score A and/or B will be pooled for lottery. (top)
3. Can I amend the filled information after submitting application form?
You can edit before application deadline. After that, you cannot make any changes nor uploading document. (top)
4. What if I missed the application deadline? Can I still apply for hall?
In principle, application after a specific deadline will not be accepted (top)
5. How much is the hall fee? What is the cost of a single room and a double room?
6. Can I apply for a single room?
A limited number of single rooms is available for students who have medical or special reasons. Submission of documentary proofs together with the application is required.Disabled single rooms may be assigned as single rooms if no request is received from a disabled student. (top)
7. Can I choose a particular hall/room/roommate?
Successful Applicants can indicate their preference of hall, room type and mutually requested roommate within a specific period, BUT it’s subject to room availability and SRO allocation.
Note: If roommate indication cannot be matched from both applicants (three applicants for requesting 3-person room), this roommate preference will not be considered. (top)
8. What if students stay for semester A only, can they apply for hall?
Hall residence is granted on annual basis. If residents wish to withdraw for semester B residence, they should submit application before 7 November every year. Once they miss the deadline, they are required to settle the hall lodging fee of semester B.(top)
9. What are the requirements for returning after one-year residence?
Residence Master and his/her hall management team will manage the returning schemes and recommend students based on different criteria and their contributions to hall with evidence-based justifications over the year. Click here to know more about individual Hall Specific Returning Scheme (under 126.96.36.199). (top)
10. What should I do if I were selected for vetting?
You must provide detailed information and documentary proof for verification when SRO conducts random checks on the application. Submission of inaccurate information or failure to respond to vetting will lead to immediate disqualification and removal from the hall, and their residence applications will not be accepted throughout their entire study period. (top)
11. What communal facilities do you offer in the Student Residence?
Communal facilitates include floor common rooms, function rooms, piano rooms, computer rooms, laundry rooms, skygarden, climbing wall, outdoor fitness equipment and the fitness assembly at Hall 11. When students are in need of activity space, three multi-function halls are available for booking. A cafeteria can be found inside Multi-function Hall B, just opposite to Hall 8 entrance.(top)
12. Will I have cleaning services in the halls?
Residents are responsible for regular cleaning of their own bed/study rooms (cleaning of toilet/shower between students’ rooms by outside contractor is only scheduled once a week). Students are strongly required to maintain the hygiene standard in their Hall by keeping their floor pantry and common area clean and tidy each time after use. (top)
14. Why my network access in room is blocked?
In order to safeguard the security and ensure the fair of use of Internet resources to all CityU users; the access to the Hostel network will be blocked under some conditions, for example,
- Virus or vulnerability detected
- Use of network devices other than the registered PC
- Network flooding/scanning, sending SPAM email
- Sharing of network resources to others e.g. network outlet, user account, etc.
- P2P file sharing
- Copyright infringement
15. Where do people usually have meal?
Residents are welcome to reheat their meals in the common room or the pantry area (for Hall 8 residents). If they wish to eat out, plenty of catering outlets are available across campus (https://www.cityu.edu.hk/international/support_catering.htm), or to use the Homey Kitchen (hall canteen) which is located next to Multi-function Hall B, just opposite to Hall 8 entrance. (top)
16. Can I have visitor(s)?
The duration of visiting hours is from 08:00-00:00 midnight. Visitors have to check out before 00:00 midnight. Keeping your visitor in the hall after 00:00 will lead to hall disciplinary actions.
18. Can I consume alcohol in the hall?
While alcohol is not prohibited in the SR, residents are recommended to monitor their alcohol intake and avoid causing disturbance to others, safety hazard, damage to property or breach of hall rules. Misbehaviours under alcoholic influence will lead to serious hall disciplinary actions.(top)
20. Q & A on typical issues raised at Meet-And-Chat (MAC) Nights