Professor ZHU, Guobin
BA, MA, LLM (Renmin U, China)
PhD and Habilitation (Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches) (Aix-Marseille University, France)
Certificate (ENA, France)
Visiting Scholar (Harvard)
Visiting Scholar (Columbia)
Director, Human Rights Law and Policy Forum
Concurrently, Director, City University of Hong Kong Press
- Chinese and comparative constitutional law
- The Basic Law of Hong Kong
- Law of Human Rights in Hong Kong and China
- Public Administration of China
- “The Role of the Judiciary and the Supreme Court in the Constitution Making Process: the Case of Nepal”, co-authored with Antonios Kouroutakis, forthcoming in Stanford Journal of International Law, March 2019.
- “Stimuli-Responsive Transformation of Governance: A Case Study of China’s Central Administration of Labor”, co-authored with Ngok Kinglun, in China: An International Journal, CIJ Vol. 15 No. 4 (Nov 2017): pp. 1-21.
- “The Hong Kong Subconstitutional Model of Separation of Powers: The Case of Weak Judicial Review”, co-authored with Antonios Kouroutakis, in Hong Kong Law Journal, (2017) HKLJ, pp. 221-241.
- “Hong Kong: un modèle d’autonomie”, in Diversité de la Démocratie - Théorie et Comparatisme: les Pays de la Mélanésie, Paris: LGDJ – Lextenso Éditions, 2016, pp. 565-573.
- “Right to Social Security: Assessing Chinese Practice against International Standards”, in Surya Deva (ed.), Socio-Economic Rights in Emerging Free Markets: Comparative Insights from India and China, Routledge, 2016, pp. 312-341.
- "The Right to Minority Language Instruction in Schools: Negotiating Competing Claims in Multinational China", a lead article in Human Rights Quarterly, Vol. 36 No. 3, 2014, pp. 692-721.
- “Chinese Immigration Law and Policy: A Case of ‘Change Your Direction, or End Up Where You Are Heading’?”, a lead article in Colombia Journal of Asian Law, Vol. 26 (2013), Issue Spring 2013., pp. 1-28.
- “Weak Courts, Weak Rights – Assessing the Realization of Constitutional Rights in the PRC Courts”, in Hong Kong Law Journal, HKLJ Vol 43 Part 2 (2013), pp.713-743.
- “The Composite State of China under ‘One Country, Multiple Systems’ – Theoretical Construction and Methodological Considerations”, in I.CON - International Journal of Constitutional Law , Vol. 10 No. 1 (2012), pp. 272-297.
- "Prosecuting ‘Evil Cults’: A Critical Examination of Law regarding Freedom of Religious Belief in Mainland China", a lead article in Human Rights Quarterly, Vol. 32 No. 3, 2010, pp. 471-501.
- "Constitutional Review in China: An Unaccomplished Project or a Mirage?", in Suffolk University Law Review, No. 3, Vol 43 (2010), pp. 625-653.
- "香港基本法第158條與立法解釋 (Art 158 of the Basic Law of Hong Kong and Legislative Interpretation)", 法學研究 Chinese Journal of Law 30(2), March 2008, pp.3-26.
- "Marketization, Globalization and Administrative Reform in China – A Zigzag Road to a Promising Future", International Review of Administrative Sciences 73(2), June 2007, pp.217-233.
- "Inter-regional Conflict of Laws under ‘One Country, Two Systems’: Revisiting Chinese Legal Theories and Chinese and Hong Kong Law, with Special Reference to Judicial Assistance", Hong Kong Law Journal 32(3), December 2002, pp.615-676.
- 第五次人大釋法：憲法與學理論爭(The Fifth Interpretation of the NPCSC: Constitutional and Jurisprudential Debate), Chief-Editor, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, April 2018, 436 p.
- 香港特區政治體制研究 (The Study of Political Structure of the HKSAR), Chief-Editor, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2017, 296 p.
- Personal Data (Privacy) Law in Hon Kong – A Practical Guide on Compliance, co-edited with Stephen Kai-yi Wong, Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, July 2016, 524 p.
- 香港司法制度 (Hong Kong Judicial System), 合著, 修訂香港版，中華書局，香港, July 2013, 312 p.
- 憲法權利與憲政 - 當代中國憲法問題研究 (Constitutional Rights and Constitutionalism - A Study of the Current Constitutional Issues in Contemporary China), 合著，香港大學出版社，October 2011, 438 p.
- 香江法政縱橫-香港基本法學緒論 （Jurisprudence and Politics in the Fragrant Harbor: Making Waves with the Hong Kong Basic Law）, 法律出版社，北京， August 2010, 247 p.
- 當代中國政治與政府 (Government and Politics of Contemporary China), 第三版,中國人民大學出版社, 北京, March 2015, 362 p.
- 新編中國法 (A New Introduction to Chinese Law), Co-Chief Editor, 香港城市大學出版社, 香港, July 2007, 625 p.
- 中國憲法與政治制度 (Constitutional Law and Political System of China), 第二版, 法律出版社, 北京, August 2006, 395 p.
- 探尋憲政之路 – 從現代化的視角檢討中國20世紀上半葉的憲政實踐 (Pursuing the Road to Constitutionalism – A Review of the Constitutional Reform in the First Half of 20th Century of China from the Perspective of Process of Modernity), 山東人民出版社, January 2005, 239 p.
- The Legal Status of Hong Kong: Autonomy or Integration (in French, Le Statut de Hong Kong: Autonomie ou Intégration) Aix-en-Provence, France: Aix-Marseilles University Press, December 2002, 287 p.
- Guest Professor (Law) at Shandong University (Jinan), Sichuan University (Chengdu)
- Adjunct Professor at School of Law of Wuhan University, Guanghua School of Law of Zhejiang University, School of Law of Qingdao University.
- Trustee of The Legal Education Trust Fund, Hong Kong
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Titular Member, International Academy of Comparative Law
- Council Member, China Society of Constitutional Law
- Council Member, Chinese Judicial Studies Association
- Member, International Association of Constitutional Law
- Member, French Society of Comparative Legislation
- Member, Chinese Association of Hong Kong and Macau Studies
- Member, Association og Hong Kong Basic Law and Macau Basic Law