LLB (Hons) (NUS)
- Agency, Contract
- Corporations Law
- Legal Education
Professor TAN Cheng Han, SC is Dean and Chair Professor of Commercial Law at CityU School of Law. From 2001 to 2011, he was Dean of the NUS Law School and was Chairman of the school’s E W Barker Centre for Law and Business from 2012 to 2019. He was appointed Senior Counsel in Singapore in 2004 and has been a Visiting Professor at Bucerius Law School, Peking University, East China University of Political Science and Law, Tokyo University and National Taiwan University. Professor Tan’s present appointments include being Chairman of Singapore Exchange Regulation Pte Ltd, Chairman of Caritas Singapore, and a member of the Singapore Business Federation’s Board of Trustees. He is also a member of the Appeal Advisory Panel to the Minister for Finance, the Law Reform Commission of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Standing Committee on Legal Education and Training.
- The Law of Agency (2nd Edition, Academy Publishing, 2017).
- Walter Woon on Company Law (General Editor, Revised 3rd Edition, Sweet & Maxwell, 2009).
- Matrimonial Law in Singapore and Malaysia (Butterworths, 1994).
Chapters in Books
- “Contract Formation in Singapore” in Studies in the Contract Laws of Asia – Volume II (edited by Mindy Chen-Wishart, Alexander Loke, Stephen Vogenauer) (Oxford University Press, 2018).
- “Equity, Shareholders and Company Law” in Equity, Trusts and Commerce (edited by Paul S Davies and James Penner, Hart Publishing, 2017) (with Wee Meng Seng).
- “The Beijing Consensus and Possible Lessons from the ‘Singapore Model’?” in The Beijing Consensus – How China has changed the Western ideas of law and economic development and global legal practices (edited by Chen Weitseng, Cambridge University Press, 2017).
- “The Agency of Liquidators and Receivers” in Agency Law in Commercial Practice (edited by Busch, MacGregor and Watts, Oxford University Press, 2016) (with Wee Meng Seng).
- "The Online World and the Offline World" in Data Protection Law in Singapore: Privacy and Sovereignty in an Interconnected World (edited by Simon Chesterman) (Singapore: Academy Publishing, 2014).
- “Company Law” in Annual Review of Singapore Cases 2017 (Academy Publishing) (with Dan Puchniak).
- “Company Law” in Annual Review of Singapore Cases 2016 (Academy Publishing) (with Dan Puchniak).
- “Unauthorised agency in English law” in The Unauthorised Agent – Perspectives from European and Comparative Law (edited by Danny Busch and Laura Macgregor) (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- “Rethinking Apparent Authority” in Developments in Singapore and Malaysian Law (Marshall Cavendish, 2007) (edited by Alan Tan) (with Tjio Hans).
- “Incorporation and its Consequences” in Walter Woon on Company Law (Revised 3rd Edition, 2009).
- “Debentures and Charges” in Walter Woon on Company Law (Revised 3rd Edition, 2009).
- “Implied Terms in Undisclosed Agency” (forthcoming in the Modern Law Review).
- “Vicarious Liability in Agency” (forthcoming in the Journal of Business Law).
- “Mixed Ownership Reform and Corporate Governance in China’s State-owned Enterprises” (2020) 53 Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 1055 (with Wang Jiangyu).
- “Estoppel in the Law of Agency” (2020) 136 Law Quarterly Review 315.
- “Piercing the Corporate Veil: Historical, Theoretical and Comparative Perspectives” 16 Berkeley Business L.J. 140 (2019) (with Jiangyu Wang and Christian Hofmann).
- “Agency Reasoning – A Formula or a Tool?”  Sing JLS 43 (with Francis Reynolds).
- “NUS Law in the Noughties: Becoming ‘Asia’s Global Law School’”  Sing JLS 215.
- “Private Ordering and the Chinese in Nineteenth Century Straits Settlements” (2016) 11 Asian Journal of Comparative Law 27.
- “State-Owned Enterprises in Singapore: Historical Insights into a Proposed Model for Reform” (2015) 28 Columbia Journal of Asian Law 61 (with Dan Puchniak and Umakanth Varottil).
- “Five Lectures on the Common Law with Comparative Reference to the Law in China” (2015) 8 Tsinghua China Law Review 63 (with A Godwin, P S Davies, J Gans, and E Simpson).
- “Veil Piercing – A Fresh Start”  Journal of Business Law 20.
- “Undisclosed Agency and Damages”  Journal of Business Law 799.
- “Unauthorized Agency in Chinese Law” (2013) 30 Journal of Contract Law 214 (with Kelry CF Loi)
- “Multiple Derivative Actions” (2013) 129 Law Quarterly Review 337.
- “Implied Warranty of Authority – Authority, Identity and Damages” (2013) 30 Journal of Contract Law 92.
- “Authority, Vicarious Liability and Misrepresentation”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 92.
- “Tortious Acts and Directors” (2011) 23 Singapore Academy of Law Journal 816.
- “The Goals and Objectives of Law Schools Beyond Educating Students: Research, Capacity Building, Community Service – The National University of Singapore School of Law Experience” (2010) 29 Penn State International Law Review 67.
- “Change and Yet Continuity: What Next After 50 Years of Legal Education in Singapore?”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 201.
- “Legal Education in Asia” (2006) Asian Journal of Comparative Law 184 (with Bell and others).
- “Contract Modifications, Consideration and Moral Hazard” (2005) 17 Singapore Academy of Law Journal 566.
- “Undisclosed Principals and Contract” (2004) 120 Law Quarterly Review 480.
- “Challenges to Legal Education in a Changing Landscape - Singapore” (2003) 7 Singapore Journal of International and Comparative Law 545.
- “Charges, Contingencies and Registration”  2 Journal of Corporate Law Studies 191.
- “The principle in ‘Bird v. Brown’ revisited” (2001) 117 Law Quarterly Review 626.
- “Springing Security Interests and Registration” (2001) 13 Singapore Academy of Law Journal 451.
- “Protecting the Integrity of the Securities Market: Amendments to the Law Prohibiting Insider Trading”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 33.
- “Piercing the Separate Personality of the Company: A Matter of Policy?”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 531.
- “Unregistered Charges and Unsecured Creditors” (1998) Law Quarterly Review 565.
- “Automatic Crystallisation, De-Crystallisation and Convertibility of Charges” (1998) Company Financial and Insolvency Law Review 41.
- “The Negative Pledge as a Security Device”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 441.
- “Debt Subordination”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 503.
- “Pre-marital Agreements and Wilful Refusal to Consummate” (1992) 4 Singapore Academy of Law Journal 172.
- “Transsexuals and the Law of Marriage in Singapore”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 516.
- “Marital Rape – Removing the Husband’s Legal Immunity” (1989) 31 Malaya Law Review 128.