Admission Requirements (PhD and MPhil)
Applicants seeking admission to a research degree programme should satisfy the following minimum entrance requirements:
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree with first or second class honours (or equivalent qualification) from a recognised university.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- hold a Bachelor’s degree with first class honours (or equivalent qualification) from a recognised university;
- hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent qualification) from a recognised university;
- hold a higher degree by research (or equivalent qualification) from a recognized university; or
- be a current MPhil student in the University who seeks transfer to PhD Candidature.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants from an institution where the language of teaching is not English should satisfy the minimum English proficiency requirements as follows:
- a minimum TOEFL total score of 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (Internet-based test); or 59 (revised Paper-delivered test); or
- a minimum overall band score of 6.5 in IELTS; or
- other test scores that may be regarded as equivalent to TOEFL 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (Internet-based test); or 59 (revised Paper-delivered test).
TOEFL and IELTS scores are considered valid for two years from the test date and must be valid at the time of submission of application.
College English Test (CET) is NOT accepted as equivalent English proficiency test for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). For applicants with strong academic and research potential who have only taken CET-6, special consideration may be made on a case-by-case basis during normal round admission.
Last modified on 8 October, 2020