Inbound Exchange

General Information for Inbound Exchange Students

Welcome to SEE, CityU!

Click the following Exchange Programme Information Sheet to know more.



Important Note for Potential Students from EU and United Kingdom
Please read before you apply: European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice, where applicable.

Prospective exchange students are first selected by their home institutions and then being nominated to SEE for review and selection.

Successful applicants will need to:

  • meet the minimum academic requirements of CityU and be in good academic standing with their home institution
  • achieve a TOEFL score ≥  79 (on the Internet-based test), IELTS overall band score ≥ 6.5, Chinese Mainland's College English Test Band 6 (total score ≥ 450) or hold an equivalent English qualification if English is not the medium of instruction at their home institutions

For details, please visit

Application Form and Supporting Documents
Exchange student should be selected and nominated by their university’s international office or unit concerned. Nominations should reach Miss Vivian Kong at

(i) For undergraduate students:
Apply through CityU’s Online Departmental Inbound Student Exchange Application System (including application for student residence)

(ii) For postgraduate students:
Students should submit their scanned applications together with all the required documents to Miss Vivian Kong (

Proof of English Language Proficiency (if applicable)

Student Visa / Entry Permit
Details and procedures can be found at (Immigration Department, HKSAR) and

Yes, students who need the University to act as the local sponsor for their student visa or entry permit application should submit the Online Request via

Note: please log in your Inbound Student Exchange Application account and submit the request.

For details, please visit

Important Dates

For study in Semester A, 2021/22
(September Entry)
8 April - 15 May 2021
For study in Semester B, 2021/22
(January Entry)
To be announced


Academic Year
Academic Calendar 2020-21, 2020/22
  Semester A / 1st term: Semester B / 2nd term:
Teaching Period 30 August  – 27 November 2021 19 January  – 23 April 2022
Examinations 6 - 18 December 2021 3 – 17 May 2022


Study Plan

Study Load
All exchange students holding a student visa for full-time studies must observe the credit-unit load permitted for full-time exchange students. To fulfill this requirement, exchange students MUST register for at least 12 credit units BUT not more than 18 in a single semester.

Level of Study
Each course has been assigned a "level" to indicate the degree of academic difficulty associated with the course. Undergraduate exchange students are recommended to choose courses at Levels B1, B2, B3 and B4 specified in each course syllabus while postgraduate ones to choose courses at P5 and P6. However, the academic system of CityU may vary from those of exchange students' home universities. When making their study plans, students should seek academic advice from the advisors of their home universities. Application for taking particular courses will be reviewed by course-offering units and are subject to their final decision.

Course List
Inbound Student Exchange Course List:
Courses offered by the School in 2020/21:

Course Code Course Title Sem A Sem B
GE1301 Climate Change and Extreme Weather  
GE1337 Urban Green City: Pollution and Solution  
GE1355 Sustainable Energy and Environmental Engineering  
SEE1002 Introduction to Computing for Energy and Environment  
SEE1003 Introduction to Sustainable Energy and Environmental Engineering  
SEE2001 Electromagnetic Principles for Energy Engineers  
SEE2002 Chemical Sciences for Energy and Environmental Engineers  
SEE2003 Introduction to Energy and Environmental Data Analysis  
SEE2101 Engineering Thermofluids I  
SEE2201 Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering  
SEE2203 Environmental, Safety, and Occupational Health Management  
SEE2204 Principles of Sustainability  
SEE3001 Energy and Environmental Policy  
SEE3003 Climate Change and Adaptation Strategies  
SEE3101 Engineering Thermofluids II  
SEE3102 Power Plant Engineering  
SEE3103 Energy Efficiency for Buildings  
SEE3104 Sustainable and Renewable Energy  
SEE3201 Atmospheric Science - An Introductory Survey  
SEE3203 Air Pollution  
SEE4001 Engineers in Society  
SEE4004 Environmental Impact Assessment for Sustainable Development  
SEE4112 Sustainable Engineering Systems: Modelling and Analysis  
SEE4116 Energy and Carbon Auditing  
SEE4117 Solar Energy Engineering  
SEE4120 Materials Engineering for Energy Applications  
SEE4121 Gas Engineering  
SEE4203 Advanced Treatment and Management of Solid and Municipal Waste  
SEE4204 Environmental Systems Modelling  
SEE4216 Combustion and Air Pollution Control  
SEE4217 Waste and Wastewater Treatment Engineering  
SEE4218 Water and Water Resource Engineering  



Your Identity at CityU
All exchange students must observe the Rules Governing Enrolment of Local and Non-local Students and complete the enrolment procedures at the Academic Regulations and Records Office  Service Centre [Service Hours and Map] and obtain your student identity card as soon as you arrive at CityU.

After settling in, you should go to the International and Non-local Students section of the Global Engagement Office [contact info] to collect a Welcoming Folder in which an Enrolment Notification is included. Please make sure you complete the enrolment procedures by the end of Week 2 of Semester A, Semester B or the Summer Term as specified in our Academic Calendar.

Student Identity Card
The Student Identity Card is a personal identification document at CityU. It is required for access to various facilities on campus including the Library, sports facilities and the Computing Services Centre.

Computer Account
The unified Electronic Identity (EID) of a student is a unique identifier used by the computer (or by an application running on it) to speedily retrieve information residing on one or more computer systems about a specific student. This unique EID will be reserved solely for that student during his/her studies at CityU. To learn more, please visit the website of Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO).

Activate Electronic Identity (EID)
To get started, you must activate your EID at our e-Portal. For incoming exchange students, please use "EXGB" (for undergraduate students) or “EXGP” (for postgraduate students) as the Programme Code when you activate your EID.

Other University Offices

Contact Person

Miss Vivian Kong
Executive Officer