Dr. Barbara PADALINO
||Room 1B-410, 4/F, Block 1, To Yuen Building, 31 To Yuen Street
City University of Hong Kong
Dr Barbara Padalino joined City University of Hong Kong in February 2018 as Assistant Professor in Animal Behaviour and Welfare at the Department of Infectious Diseases and Public Health. Her role will include teaching in the Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine programme and conducting research in animal welfare and behaviour, particularly in equine behaviour, health and welfare.
She graduated with a Degree in Veterinary Medicine from the University of Bari (Italy) and then completed her PhD at the University of Sydney (Australia).
Before commencing at City University, she was a lecturer in Equine Science at Charles Sturt University (Australia) and a director of her own horse practice, breeding and racing centre in Italy. Since 2004, she has also worked as a researcher in animal science at the Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Italy.
During her career she has lectured in animal science, equine science, ethology, welfare and physiology, and conducted research on equine, camel and livestock behaviour and welfare, in particular on transportation of horses and the implications for health and welfare. However, her research spans a number of topics, from animal training to internal and sport medicine, and from stress physiology to animal reproduction.
She is a member of the Animal Transport Association (ATA), the International Society of Equitation Science (ISES), and the European Association of Animal Production (EAAP), and she sits on the editorial board of the Journal of Equine Veterinary Science.
- How to assess and safeguard animal welfare
- Animal learning and training principles
- Animal transportation
- Equine internal and sports medicine
Please click here to access her Google Scholar profile.
Postgraduate1, Postdoctoral2, or Undergraduate3 co-author indicated by superscript
- Padalino B, Raidal SL, Knight P, Celi P, Jeffcott L, Muscatello G (2017). Effects of transportation on redox homeostasis and tracheal mucus. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, 57, 71-76.
- Yorke A1, Matusiewicz J1, Padalino B (2017). How to minimise the incidence of transport related behavioural problems: a review. Journal of Equine Science, invited review, 28, 67-75.
- Aubé L1, Fatnassi M, Monaco D, Khorchani T, Lacalandra GM, Hammadi M, Padalino B (2017). Daily rhythms of behavioral and hormonal patterns in male dromedary camels housed in box. Peer J, 5: e3074.
- Padalino B, Hall E, Raidal S, Celi P, Knight P, Jeffcott L, Muscatello G (2017). Risk factors in equine transport-related health problems: a survey of the Australian equine industry. Equine veterinary Journal, 47(4), 507-511 doi:10.1016/j.jevs.2016.07.001.
- Padalino B, Raidal SL, Carter N, Celi P, Muscatello G, Jeffcott L, de Silva K (2017). Immunological, clinical, haematological and oxidative responses to long distance transportation in horses. Research in Veterinary Science 115, 78-87, doi:10.1016/j.rvsc.2017.01.024.
- Padalino B, Henshall C, Raidal S, Celi P, Knight P, Jeffcott L, Muscatello G (2017). Investigations into transport-related problem behaviours: survey results. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, 48, 166-173, doi: 10.1111/evj.12631.
- Padalino B, Hall E, Raidal S, Celi P, Knight P, Jeffcott L, Muscatello G (2016). Survey of horse transportation in Australia: issues and practices. Australian Veterinary Journal, 10, 349-357. doi:10.1111/avj.12486.
- Padalino B, Hall E, Raidal S, Celi P, Knight P, Jeffcott L, Muscatello G (2016). A survey on transport management practices associated with injuries and health problems in horses. PLoS ONE 9, 1-16. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0162371.
- Padalino B, Rubino G, Lacinio R, Petazzi F (2016). A new classification to diagnose anemia in Standardbred horses: a retrospective study. Journal of Equine veterinary Science 44, 21-25.
- Padalino B, Rateb SA, Ibrahim NB, Monaco D2, Lacalandra GM, El-Bahrawy KA (2016). Behavioural indicators to detect ovarian phase in the dromedary she-camel. Theriogeneology 85, 1644-1651.
- Padalino B, Hall E, Raidal S, Celi P, Knight P, Jeffcott L, Muscatello G (2015). Health problems and risk factors associated with long haul transport of horses in Australia. Animals, 5, 1296-1310.
- Padalino B (2015). Effects of the different transport phases on equine health status, behavior and welfare: a review. Journal of Veterinary Behavior 10, 272-282, doi: 10.1016/j.jveb.2015.02.002
- Padalino B, Monaco D2, Lacalandra GM (2015). Male camel behavior and breeding management strategies: how to handle a camel bull during the breeding season? Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture27, 338-349, ISSN: 2079-052X, doi: 10.9755/ejfa.v26i5.17226
- Padalino B, Aubé L1, Fatnassi M1, Monaco D2, Khorchani T, Hammadi M, Lacalndra GM (2014). Could dromedary develop stereotypy? The first description of stereotypical behaviour in housed dromedary camels and how it is affected by different management system. PLOS ONE 9, 1-9, doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0089093.
- Padalino B, Rubino G, Lacinio R, Petazzi F (2014). Observation on the hematology of Standardarbred horses in training and racing in Southern Italy. Journal of Equine veterinary Science, 34, 398-402, doi: 10.1016/j.jevs.2013.07.018.