Professor SCHNUPP Jan
DPhil Neurophysiology (Oxon), BA Mathematical Sciences (Open), BSc Genetics (UCL)
Professor, Department of Neuroscience (NS)
Jan Schnupp graduated from University College London with a Bachelor in Genetics in 1990 and obtained a doctorate in Neurophysiology from the University of Oxford in 1996 and a bachelor in mathematical sciences from the Open University in 2006. He was a junior research fellow at Christ Church, Oxford and a visiting research fellow at the University of Wisconsin at Madison before joining the faculty of the University of Oxford in 2002, where he was promoted to Professor in 2010. In 2016, Jan joined the faculty of City University of Hong Kong.
Jan is interested in how sensory processing interpret auditory inputs to the brain are transformed to underpin subjective perceptual qualities of sound such as pitch, timbre and sound source location, and how the brain learns to adapt to the statistical structure of the sounds in our environment to form efficient neural representations of sound and to support auditory scene analysis.
We are looking for Research Assistants and Postgraduate Students to join our newly established research team. Interested candidates please send your CV and a summary of past research experience to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jan is co-author of the leading textbook "Auditory Neuroscience" published at MIT press, and has published over 70 peer reviewed articles in international journals.
For up-to-date lists of his publications in chronological order on PubMed click here. For a list by citations and bibliographic information on Google Scholar click here.
These are some representative recent papers:
- Rajendran VG, Harper NS, Abdel-Latif KHA, Schnupp JW. (2016) Rhythm facilitates the detection of repeating sound patterns. Frontiers in Auditory Cognitive Neuroscience.
- Willmore BDB, Schoppe O, King AJ, Schnupp JWH, Harper NS (2016) Incorporating midbrain adaptation to mean sound level improves models of auditory cortical processing. J Neurosci.
- Honey, C. and JWH Schnupp (2015) Neural Resolution Of Formant Frequencies In The Primary Auditory Cortex Of Rats. PLoS One. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0134078
- Schnupp JWH, JA Garcia-Lazaro and N Lesica (2015) Periodotopy in the gerbil inferior colliculus: local clustering rather than a gradient map. Frontiers in Neural Circuits 9:37 dx.doi.org/10.3389/fncir.2015.00037
- Lawrance EL., NS. Harper, JE. Cooke, JWH Schnupp (2014) Temporal predictability enhances auditory detection J Acoust Soc Am. 2014 Jun;135(6):EL357.
- Rabinowitz NC, Willmore BDB, King AJ, Schnupp JWH (2013) Constructing Noise-Invariant Representations of Sound in the Auditory Pathway. PLoS Biol 11(11): e1001710.
- Rajendran VG, Harper NS, Willmore BD, Hartmann WM, Schnupp JW. (2013) Temporal predictability as a grouping cue in the perception of auditory streams. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013 Jul;134(1):EL98-104.
- Bizley JK, Walker KM, King AJ, Schnupp JW. (2013) Auditory Cortex Represents Both Pitch Judgments and the Corresponding Acoustic Cues. Current Biology, 23(7):620-5 doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2013.03.003.
- Bizley JK, Walker KM, King AJ, Schnupp JWH (2013) Spectral timbre perception in ferrets: Discrimination of artificial vowels under different listening conditions. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013 Jan;133(1):365-76
- Rabinowitz, B Willmore, JWH Schnupp and AJ King (2012) Spectrotemporal contrast kernels for neurons in primary auditory cortex, J Neurosci. Aug 15;32(33):11271-84.
- Itskov PM, Vinnik E, Honey C, Schnupp JW, Diamond ME. (2012) Sound sensitivity of neurons in rat hippocampus during performance of a sound-guided task. J Neurophysiol. 107(7):1822-1834
- Davies LA, Garcia-Lazaro LA , Schnupp JWH, Wennekers T, Denham SL (2011) Tell me something interesting: Context dependent adaptation in somatosensory cortex. J Neurosci Methods; dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jneumeth.2011.12.003
- Szymanski FD, Rabinowitz NC, Magri C, Panzeri S, Schnupp JWH (2011) The laminar and temporal structure of stimulus information in the phase of field potentials of auditory cortex.J Neurosci. 2011 Nov 2(44):15787-801.
- Walker KM, Bizley JK, King AJ, Schnupp JWH (2011) Multiplexed and robust representations of sound features in auditory cortex..J Neurosci. 31(41): 14565-76.
- Garcia-Lazaro JA, Ahmed B, Schnupp JWH (2011) Emergence of Tuning to Natural Stimulus Statistics along the Central Auditory Pathway. PLoS One. 2011;6(8):e22584.
- N Rabinowitz, B Willmore, JWH Schnupp and AJ King(2011) Gain Control in Auditory Cortex, Neuron, 23;70(6):1178-91.
- Hartley DE, Dahmen JC, King AJ, Schnupp JW (2011) Binaural sensitivity changes between cortical on and off responses. J Neurophysiol. Jul;106(1):30-43
- KMM Walker, JK Bizley, AJ King and JWH Schnupp (2011) Cortical Encoding Of Pitch: Recent results and open questions, Hear Res271(1-2):74-87