Professor He Jufang
|Office:||P6308, Yeung Kin Man Academic Building|
BEng, MEng (Harbin Inst Tech), DrMedSci (Tokushima, Japan), DrEng (Tokyo, Japan)
Wong Chun Hong Chair Professor of Translational Neuroscience, Department of Neuroscience (NS)
Professor Jufang He is Wong Chun Hong Chair Professor of Translational Neuroscience and Chair Professor of Neuroscience of the City University of Hong Kong. He received a Doctoral Degree in Medical Science at the University of Tokushima, and a second Doctoral Degree in Engineering from The University of Tokyo, Japan. Before joining the City University of Hong Kong in 2013, Prof. He had worked at RIKEN (Japan), University of Tokushima, and Advanced Research Laboratory of HITACHI Ltd and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University for 20 years. Jufang was the director of a Hong Kong-Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) Joint Laboratory funded by Croucher Foundation and CAS. Prof. He combines electrophysiological, anatomical, and engineering approaches to answer fundamental questions of hearing, and learning and memory. Currently, Prof. He’s lab is focused on investigating the mechanism of memory encoding in the neocortex. How the medial temporal lobe participates in the encoding and retrieval of long-term neocortical memory? How the prefrontal cortex involves attention and in maintaining the short-term memory in neocortex? Prof. He is also involved in drug development for brain disorders, such as epilepsy, tinnitus, and depression. Besides neurobiology, Prof. He has developed an electronic “bat ear” for people with visual impairments and a “motolink” for bypassing the spinal cord injury.
Prof. He was awarded the President’s Award for Research and Scholarly Activities (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2003/2004. Jufang was selected as one of Distinguished Young Scholars by NSFC in 2006, Joint Research Fund for Hong Kong and Macau Young Scholars) and as a recipient of the Croucher Senior Research Fellowship in 2010. He was the inaugural chair of Gordon Research Conferences on Neuroplasticity of Sensory Systems in 2018. He was awarded one of The President’s Awards 2018, City University of Hong Kong.
Prof. He’s research activities have been supported by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Innovation and Technology Fund, Ministry of Science and Technology, Natural Science Foundation of China, and CAS.
- Chen X, Li X, Wong YT, Zheng XJ, Wang HT, Peng YJ, Feng HM, Feng JY, Baibado JT, Jesky R, Wang ZD, Xie H, Sun WJ, Zhang ZC, Zhang X, He L, Zhang N, Zhang ZJ, Tang P, Su JF, Hu LL, Liu Q, He XB, Tan AL, Sun X, Li M, Wong K, Wang XY, Cheung HY, Shum DKY, Yung KK, Chan YS, Tortorella M, Guo YP, Xu FQ, He JF* (2019) Cholecystokinin release triggered by NMDA receptors produces LTP and sound-sound associative memory, PNAS, 116 (13): 6397-6406. http://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1816833116
- Zhang ZC, Zheng CXJ, Peng YJ, Guo YP, Lu DY, Li X, Sun WJ, Tang P, He SL, Li M, Liu Q, Xu FQ, Ng G, Chen X, He JF* (2017) Unconsciously Implanted Visuoauditory Memory in the Presence of Cholecystokinin Retrieved in Behavioral Contexts. bioRxiv
- Zhang YM*, Wang YC, Guo YP, Liao JX, Tu ZC, Lu YZ, Ding K, Tortorella MD, He JF* (2019) Identification and synthesis of low-molecular weight cholecystokinin B receptor (CCKBR) agonists as mediators of long-term synaptic potentiation. Medicinal Chemistry Research (in press) https://rdcu.be/biizi
- Zhang GW, Sun WJ, Zingg B, Shen L, He J, Xiong Y, Tao HW, Zhang L (2018) A Non-canonical Reticular-Limbic Central Auditory Pathway via Medial Septum Contributes to Fear Conditioning. Neuron 97:406-417 http://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(17)31133-9
- Chan RW, Leong AT, Ho LC, Gao PP, Wong EC, Dong CM, Wang X, He J, Chan YS, Lim LW, Wu EX (2017) Low frequency hippocampal-cortical activity drives brain-wide resting-state functional MRI connectivity, PNAS, 114: E6972-6981. http://www.pnas.org/content/114/33/E6972.full
- Wang Y, Lin X, Chen X, Chen X, Xu Z, Zhang W, Liao Q, Duan X, Wang X, Liu M, Wang F, J He, P Shi (2017) Tetherless near-infrared control of brain activity in behaving animals using fully implantable upconversion microdevices, Biomaterials, 142, 136-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2017.07.017
- Lin X, Wang Y, Chen X, Yang R, Wang Z, Feng JY, Wang HT, Lai KWC, He J, Wang F, Shi P (2017) Multiplexed Optogenetic Stimulation of Neurons with Spectrum-Selective Upconversion Nanoparticles, Advanced Healthcare Materials, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adhm.201700446/full
- Shen H,. Chau DKP, Su J, Zeng LL, Jiang WX, He JF, Fan JT, Hu DW (2016) Brain responses to facial attractiveness induced by facial proportions: evidence from an fMRI study. Scientific Reports, 6:35905, DOI: 10.1038/srep35905, http://www.nature.com/articles/srep35905
- Wang HT, Hu LL, Liu CH, Su ZH, Wang LH, Pan GJ*, Guo YP*, He JF* (2016) 5-HT2 receptors mediate functional modulation of GABAa receptors and inhibitory synaptic transmissions in human iPS-derived neurons. Scientific Reports, 6: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep20033.
Highlighted in Neural Cell News http://www.neuralcellnews.com/issue/volume-10-04-feb-3/
- Chen X, ZL Liao, Huang YT, Guo YP, He JF* (2014) Time Course of the Dependence of Associative Memory Retrieval on the Entorhinal Cortex. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory 116: 155–161, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074742714001828#
- Li Y, Alam, He JF* (2104) “Electronic bypass of spinal lesions promotes recovery” Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 11:107 (1-12) http://www.jneuroengrehab.com/content/11/1/107
- Li X, Yu K, Zhang Z, Sun W, Yang Z, Feng J, Chen X, Liu C, Wang H, Guo Y, He J* (2014) Cholecystokinin from the Entorhinal Cortex Enables Neural Plasticity in the Auditory Cortex. Cell Research, 24:307-330. http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v24/n3/pdf/cr2013164a.pdf
- Chen X, Guo Y, Liao Z, Li X, Wang H, Li X, He J* (2013) Encoding and Retrieval of Artificial Visuo-Auditory Memory Traces in Auditory Cortex Needs Entorhinal Cortex. The Journal of Neuroscience 33:9963-9974.
- Wang LH, Wang LL, Huang WH, Su HX, Xue YT, Su ZH, Liao BJ, Wang HT, Bao XC, Qin DJ, He JF, Wu WT, So KF, Pan GJ, Pei DQ (2013) Generation of integration-free neural progenitor cells from cells in human urine. Nature Methods, 10:84-89. http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v10/n1/full/nmeth.2283.html
Highlighted by Nature News “Brain cells made from urine” http://www.nature.com/news/brain-cells-made-from-urine-1.11985
- Chan CCH, Wong AWK, Ting KH, Whitefield-Gabrieli S, He JF, Lee TMC (2012) Cross Auditory-Spatial Learning in Early Blind Individuals, Human Brain Mapping 33:2714-2727. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hbm.21395/full.
- Yu XJ, Xu XX, He SG*, He JF* (2009) Change detection by thalamic reticular neurons. Nature Neuroscience 12: 1165-1170 (Highlighted by Nature China: Cognitive neuroscience: Neurons for oddballs, http://www.nature.com/nchina/2009/090826/full/nchina.2009.170.html).
- Yu XJ, He SG, He JF* (2009) Dorsal Thalamus modulated by Thalamic Reticular Nucleus. Nature Protocols: http://www.natureprotocols.com/2009/10/22/dorsal_thalamus_modulated_by_t.php
- Gao L, Meng XK, Ye CQ, Liu CH, Dan Y, Poo MM, He JF*, Zhang XH* (2009) Entrainment of slow oscillations of auditory thalamic neurons by repetitive sound stimuli. The Journal of Neuroscience 29: 6013-6021.
- Sun X, Guo YP, Shum DKY, Chan YS, He JF* (2009) Time course of cortically induced fos expression in auditory thalamus and midbrain after bilateral cochlear ablation. Neuroscience 160: 186-197. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2009.02.020
- Yu XJ, Xu XX, Chen X, He SG, He JF* (2009) Slow recovery from excitation of thalamic reticular neurons Journal of Neurophysiology, 101: 980-987.
- Liu CH, Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Chan YS, He JF*: (2008) Sleep spindles are not generated in the thalamic reticular nucleus. Nature Proceedings, http://precedings.nature.com/documents/2313/version/1
- Zhang Z, Liu CH, Yu YQ, Fujimoto K, Chan YS, He JF* (2008) Corticofugal projection inhibits the auditory thalamus through the thalamic reticular nucleus. Journal of Neurophysiology 99: 2938-2945.
- Xu M, Liu CH, Xiong Y, He JF* (2007) Corticofugal modulation of the auditory thalamic reticular nucleus of the guinea pigs. The Journal of Physiology (London). 585: 15-28.
- Guo YP, Sun X, Li C, Wang NQ, Chan YS, He JF* (2007) c-fos expression in the auditory thalamus is triggered by corticofugal projections. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:11802-11807.
- Sun X, Xia Q, Chan YS, He JF* (2007) Corticofugal Modulation on Acoustically Induced c-fos Expression in the Rat Auditory Pathway. The Journal of Comparative Neurology 501:509-525.
- Lansky P, Sanda P, He JF (2006) The parameters of the stochastic leaky integrate-and-fire neuronal model. Journal of Computational Neuroscience 21: 211-223.
- Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Chan YS, He JF* (2004) In vivo intracellular responses of the medial geniculate neurones to acoustic stimuli in anaesthetized guinea pigs. The Journal of Physiology (London) 560: 191-205.
- Xiong Y, Yu YQ, Chan YS, *He JF (2004) Effects of cortical stimulation on auditory-responsive thalamic neurones in anaesthetized guinea pigs. The Journal of Physiology (London) 560: 207-217.
- Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Chan YS, He JF* (2004) Corticofugal gating of auditory information in the thalamus: an in-vivo intracellular recording study. The Journal of Neuroscience 24: 3060-3069.
- He J* (2003) Slow oscillation in non-lemniscal auditory thalamus. The Journal of Neuroscience 23 (23): 8281-8290.
- He J* (2003) Corticofugal modulation on both ON and OFF responses in the nonlemniscal auditory thalamus of the guinea pigs. Journal of Neurophysiology 89, 367-381.
- Xiong Y, Yu YQ, Fujimoto K, YS Chan, He J* (2003) An in-vivo intracellular study of the auditory thalamic neurons, Thalamus and Related Systems 2: 253-260.
- He J* (2002) OFF responses in the auditory thalamus of guinea pig. Journal of Neurophysiology 88: 2377-2386.
- He J, *Hu B (2002) Differential Distribution of Burst and Single-Spike Responses in Auditory Thalamus. Journal of Neurophysiology 88: 2152-2156.
- He J*, Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Hashikawa T, Chan YS (2002) Modulatory effect of cortical activation on the leminiscal auditory thalamus of the guinea pig. Journal of Neurophysiology 88: 1040-105.
- He J* (2001) ON and OFF pathways segregated at the auditory thalamus of the guinea pig. The Journal of Neuroscience 21, 8672-8679.
- HE J*, Hashikawa T (1998) Connections of the dorsal zone of cat auditory cortex. The Journal of Comparative Neurology. 400, 334-348.
- HE J* (1998) Long-latency neurons in auditory cortex involved in temporal integration: theoretical analysis of experimental data. Hearing Research. 121, 147-160.
- *HE J (1997) Modulatory effects of regional cortical activation on the onset responses of the cat medial geniculate neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology. vol. 77, pp.896-908, 1997.
- *HE J, Hashikawa T, Ojima H, Kinouchi Y (1997) Temporal integration and duration tuning in the dorsal zone of cat auditory cortex. The Journal of Neuroscience. 17, 1615-1625.
- Kosaki H, Hashikawa T, HE J, *Jones EG (1997) Tonotopic Organization of auditory cortical fields delineated by parvalbumin immunoreactivity in Macaque monkeys. The Journal of Comparative Neurology. 386, pp.304-316.
- He JF, GH Pan, J-F He, CCH Chan (2005) An electronic device for helping the vision-impaired to walk and identify obstacles. China Patent: ZL200520109184.1
- 张艳梅, 贺菊方 (He JF), 涂正超, 米琦·D·托特雷拉, 廖进喜, 郭宜平, 陆鑫, 关键通, 刘健齐, 覃筱楚, 陆永志, (2014) 苯甲酰胺类化合物及其应用Benzamide compound and applications thereof (CN 104771386 A)
- He JF, Li X, Tan AL, Peng YJ, Xu SH, Yang YJ, Zhang Xu, Hossain M (2018) Cholecystokinin antagonists useful for treating epilepsy. US 16/174,842 (US)
Honors & Awards
- President’s Award for Research and Scholarly Activities (The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) 2003/2004
- Silver Award: The 33rd International Exhibition of Inventions, New Techniques and Products of Geneva, April 2005
- 自然科学基金委杰出青年基金（海外B类）2006. Joint Research Fund for Hong Kong and Macau Young Scholars, National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars
- Croucher Senior Research Fellowship (2009/2010)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences-Hong Kong Joint-laboratory (2008-2012 Croucher Foundation)
- Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Neuroplasticity of Sensory Systems (2018) http://www.grc.org/programs.aspx?id=17735
- The President’s Award (TPA, 2018, City University of Hong Kong)