A patent, in short, is a grant of protection for an invention. It can have a huge impact on the way customers and potential customers perceive your business. In high tech space, the terms “patented” carry a lot of weight with buyers. It shows the business can offer them something that no one else can. It also affords the innovation higher credibility and automatically adds value to the service or products.
The Patent Utility Challenge 2021 (abbreviated as Challenge below) aims to encourage participants to kick-start their ventures by leveraging CityU’s existing patents. Have you ever thought about your big innovative business ideas that can be launched with patent technology and become a highly valued venture? It is now the best chance for you to relate your ideas to patent technologies and bring your idea one step closer to success!
HK Tech 300
The Challenge is a competition under HK Tech 300 that aims to help participants generate project ideas with CityU’s patents.
HK Tech 300 is the CityU flagship innovation and entrepreneurship programme for aspiring entrepreneurs among CityU community and general public using CityU’s patents and/or technology in their start-ups. All projects submitted under the Challenge will be given priority in taking part in HK Tech 300’s training programme.
Access to CityU Patents
Interested participants can access KTO webpage to search for patent that may relate. You can go to here and enter the keywords for a quick view of relevant technologies.
If you wish to have better appreciation your choice of CityU IP for this Challenge, you can also schedule a consultation session with our Technology Transfer Officer for patent matching. Our Officer will assist in listing relevant patents that you may read further for the Challenge. You can send an email to email@example.com to schedule a consultation.
- Champion HK$10,000
- 1st Runner-up HK$5,000
- 2nd Runner-up HK$3,000
- *Wofoo SDG Award HK$5,000 (2 places)
All award winners will be presented with certificates. Prizes will be awarded to the person whose name appears on the application form and is verified against his/her identity document. The Organizer (KTO) reserves the right to withhold the award(s). The decision made by the Organizer is final and binding all aspects related to the Challenge. For further Terms & Conditions, please refer here.
*The Award is kindly supported by Wofoo Social Enterprises - Hong Kong SDG Hub. Judges from the Hong Kong SDG Hub will award the prizes based on the positive impact of the business ideas on climate-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Two projects will be chosen.
Terms and Conditions
Each Participant is solely responsible for his/her slides. Each Participant undertakes and represents that his/her slides will not:
- Violate the copyright laws in Hong Kong. All copyright, moral rights, and personality rights for all content must be cleared. If these rights are not cleared, the entry will be disqualified from consideration in the Challenge;
- Contain libelous, defamatory, disparaging or unlawful content;
- Invade the privacy or publicity rights of any person (living or deceased), or otherwise infringe upon a third party’s personal or proprietary rights;
- Violate any laws or regulations of Hong Kong SAR;
- Include sexually explicit subject matter;
- Depict or inspire violence, weapons or dangerous stunts;
- Depict discrimination, bigotry, harm or hatred;
- Depict or inspire tobacco or illicit drug usage;
- Promote activities that are illegal;
- Include off-topic, inflammatory, inappropriate, illegal, or offensive content;
- Include any advertisements or solicitations of business;
- Promote any political agenda; or
- Reflect negatively on the goodwill of the organizer or its Partners.
- Engage in disruptive speech or behavior or otherwise interfere with the Patent Utility Challenge 2021 or other individuals’ participation;
- Engage in any form of harassing, offensive, discriminatory or threatening speech or behavior, including relating to politics, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or disability.
The organizer may disqualify any participant if the Application includes content that the organizer, in its sole discretion, deems unsuitable for the Patent Utility Challenge 2021 and/or if the participant violates any of these terms and the decision of the organizer is final and conclusive. Without prejudice to the foregoing, the organizer may reject or disqualify any Application at any time, in its sole discretion, without incurring any liability whatsoever towards the Participant or any third party.
Participants agree that the organizer has the sole right to establish and change the Rules and the operation of the Patent Utility Challenge 2021 and/or awards at any time and without notice and liability whatsoever towards the Participants. In the event of any disputes, the decision of the organizer shall be final and binding on all participants.
The organizer reserves the right to check the validity of the information submitted by participants at any stage during the Patent Utility Challenge 2021 and to ask for copies of ID documents and/or student cards issued by the schools or universities which the participants are attending. The organizer also reserves the right to refuse participation, or to disqualify any Participants, at any time during the Patent Utility Challenge 2021, without cause. The organizer may suspend or terminate the Application or participation in the Patent Utility Challenge 2021, in addition to exercising all rights and remedies allowed by law without liability whatsoever towards any Participant.
The above is without prejudice to the Patent Utility Challenge 2021 Terms and Conditions.
At the time of participation, participants warrant:
- that his/her contribution is original and unprecedented;
- that it does not infringe upon any Intellectual Property rights of any third party;
- that all the elements on which his/her Applications are accurate, reliable and complete;
- that all Intellectual Property Rights in the Site belong to the organizer and its licensors, as applicable at all times;
- that participants have no right to use organizer’s trademarks or product names, logos, domain names or other distinctive brand features associated with the organizer, as the case maybe without the organizer’s prior written consent, as the case may be.
- that the organizer may disclose participant’s entire Application to the organizer’s judges, and/or the organizer’s professional, financial and similar advisors; provided that such other persons or firms have similar undertakings to keep such confidential information and not to further disclose such confidential information to any third party.
- that the organizer is not required to treat as confidential any portion of confidential information that
(i) was disclosed to the organizer without obligation of confidentiality; or
(ii) becomes publicly available through no fault of the organizer.
The obligation of the organizer under this provision shall survive two years after the completion of the Patent Utility Challenge 2021.
Under no circumstances shall the organizer be held liable for any infringement of any Intellectual Property rights in the creations and/or the deliverables. Each participant shall indemnify the organizer against any loss, damages, action, claim, opposition and demand from any third party in connection with any Intellectual Property rights / creations in the deliverables. This provision shall survive the completion of the Patent Utility Challenge 2021.
In the event of a dispute, the decision of the organizer is final and binding on all aspects of the Patent Utility Challenge 2021.