Preparing for Arrival

Pre-departure Checklist

Bring these things with you to Hong Kong:

  1. Your passport or travel document, with your Hong Kong student visa or entry permit label attached to an inner page. (Don't forget to show the page for the immigration officer's inspection and validation at the immigration checkpoint when you enter Hong Kong)
  2. Your original letter of admission and other admission-related documents
  3. A copy of your insurance policy, if available
  4. Cash, traveller's cheques and/or credit cards
  5. Any medications prescribed by your doctor for your personal use
  6. A few recent passport-size photographs
  7. Clothes suitable for the weather conditions in Hong Kong
  8. Any telephone numbers that might be useful if you need to seek help


An Orientation Programme for new students generally starts one week before the semester begins, which is also the start of the Student Residence housing term. Students are advised to arrive exactly one week before the semester starts or, for research postgraduate students, on the date when their housing term begins. Students who have successfully applied for accommodation at the Student Residence but plan to arrive in Hong Kong before the housing term begins will need to find temporary accommodation off campus. For information on off-campus accommodation, please visit the Student Residence Office's website.

1. Key Dates
Enrollment period1 week before the semester starts until noon of the Saturday of Teaching Week 2
Course registration period2 weeks before the semester starts until 11:30 pm of the Monday of Teaching Week 2
Student Residence check-in period1 week before the semester begins

Students who cannot arrive for the new school year before the enrolment deadline should contact your home Department, School or College at CityU and the Student Residence Office in advance if you are a student resident.

2. Getting to CityU

CityU is located at Kowloon Tong on the Kowloon peninsula and is adjacent to the Kowloon Tong Mass Transit Railway (MTR) Station.

From Hong Kong International Airport to CityU
The following means of transportation can take you from the Hong Kong International Airport on Lantau Island to CityU:

Mass Transit Railway
You can ride on the MTR from the Airport Station to Kowloon Tong Station, where CityU is located. First take the Airport Express to Tsing Yi Station; then change to the Tung Chung Line and go to Lai King Station; from there change to the Tsuen Wan Line to Prince Edward Station; finally, change to the Kwun Tong Line to Kowloon Tong Station. Please visit the MTR's website to see the route and check the fare.

From the public bus terminal at the airport, take bus number E22 (don’t take A22, E22A or E22P) and get off at the CityU Student Hostel Station at Cornwall Street. You may ask the bus driver for assistance. The Student Residence at Cornwall Street is right beside the bus stop, and the main campus is within walking distance of 10 to 15 minutes. The Citybus website will give you the information about bus routes and fare.

If you take a taxi at the airport, it will cost about HK$220 to get to CityU or the Student Residence, plus an extra charge for each piece of luggage and toll fees for crossing bridges or tunnels.

If you will live on campus at the Student Residence in Cornwall Street or Jockey Club House during the housing term, you are advised to ask the taxi driver to take you to your residence so that you can check in and unload your luggage first.

From Hung Hom Railway Station to CityU
If you take the through train that goes directly to Hong Kong from Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou, you will arrive at Hung Hom Station. You can change there to the MTR East Rail Line and get off at Kowloon Tong Station, where CityU is located. Alternatively, you can take a taxi from Hung Hom to get to the campus or the Student Residence. The fare is around HK$50, plus an extra charge for each piece of luggage.

If you enter Hong Kong by way of Shenzhen, you can take the MTR East Rail Line from Lo Wu, or Lok Ma Chau via Futian Port, and get off at Kowloon Tong Station. Please visit the MTR's website to see the routes and check the fare.

Must-do after Arrival

1. Check-in at the Residence

If you have secured a place in the University's Student Residence or in the Jockey Club House of the Academic Exchange Building, you should plan to arrive in Hong Kong and check in to your room at the start of the housing term.

If your room is in the Student Residence and you arrive during office hours (Monday to Friday: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm & 2:00 pm – 5:30 pm, Saturday: 9:00 am – 12:00 noon), make your way directly to the Student Residence Office (SRO) on the ground floor of the Jockey Club Humanity Hall (Hall 1). If you arrive outside of office hours, go to the Security Room behind the SRO for assistance.

If you live in the Jockey Club House of the Academic Exchange Building, contact the front desk on the ground floor and follow the check-in procedures as advised by the SRO.

2. Collect a Welcome Pack

Please contact the International and Non-local Students section of the Global Engagement Office (Room 3210, 3/F, Cheng Yick-chi Building) to report your arrival and pick up your welcome pack. Don't forget to bring along your passport or travel document containing your validated student visa or entry permit for identity verification.

The welcome pack contains details about the Orientation Programme and other useful information to help new students adjust during their initial period of stay in Hong Kong and at the University.

3. Enrollment & Student ID Card

New students are required to complete the enrollment process at the time and venue as specified in their enrollment letter. The deadline for enrollment is 12:00 noon on the Saturday of Teaching Week 2 in each semester.

Bachelor’s degree, exchange and visiting students at undergraduate level should visit the Academic Regulations and Records Office (ARRO), or the designated venue for enrollment as indicated in their enrollment letter, and complete the new student enrollment procedure by the last enrollment date. For details of the Rules Governing enrollment of Local and Non-local Students, please visit

Postgraduate students should follow the instructions of the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies and complete the enrolment procedure. For enquiries, please contact the School at (852) 2788 9076.

Student Identity Card
All students will be given a Student Identity Card upon completion of enrollment. The Student Identity Card is a student’s personal identification document at CityU. It is required for access to various facilities on campus including the Library, Sports Centre, Computing Services Centre and the residential halls. Students must observe and comply with the Regulations on Student Identity Card.

4. Course Registration

Course registration takes place during the Course Add/Drop period of each semester. Students must finalize their study plans before 11:30 pm on the Monday of Teaching Week 2, which is the end of the Add/Drop period. To maintain full-time student status and fulfil student visa requirements, non-local students are required to register for a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 18 credits in each semester (with the exception of the summer term, in which 6 up to 7 credits are required). Students can check their class schedule online to see if all the classes they selected have been registered.

Course registration can be completed online via AIMS platform (Administrative Information Management System) – an electronic infrastructure where students can deal with a lot of academic and campus-related matters. If the course you wish to take does not accept online registration, then you need to register the course by submitting a paper Add/Drop Form the appropriate teaching department for approval. To view a demonstration of the screens for printing the Add/Drop Form on AIMS, click here.

More details are provided on the course registration website.

5. Tuition & Fees

Students will receive a payment notice within a month after their arrival at CityU, showing how much they owe for fees and charges, such as tuition, residence fee and insurance premium, and the payment due date. They can also check their account summary on AIMS via the e-Portal. There are a number of ways to settle the fees, both locally and internationally. Please see "Payment Method" for details.

Students who do not pay the fees and charges in full by the payment due date may have their student enrollment status suspended by the University. A late payment charge may also be imposed on the outstanding balance.

For more details, please see "Tuition Fees".

6. Octopus Card for Students

The Octopus Card is a stored-value card accepted by almost all public transport, and at many restaurants and other places including fast-food outlets, convenience stores, supermarkets, vending machines and pay phones. Full-time students aged 25 or below are eligible to apply for a Personalised Octopus Card with 'Student Status', offering discounts of up to 50% on the MTR. An application form for the Octopus card can be obtained from the Student Development Services at the beginning of the semester, or from any one of the MTR stations.

For other information about the Octopus Card, please visit the website of Octopus Card.

7. Hong Kong Identity Card

Students who will stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days are required by law to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card within 30 days after they enter Hong Kong. No fee is charged for the first application. For more information and to book an appointment via the internet, visit, or phone the Hong Kong Immigration Department’s 24-hour appointment booking hotline at (852) 2598 0888.