Poetic Heritage Translation Awards
Dr. Jennifer Cheung Chui-yiu, JP - LT Poetic Heritage Translation Award
With the generous support of Dr. Jennifer Cheung Chui-yiu, JP, the Department of Linguistics and Translation and Preserving and Appraising Traditional Cultural Heritage (PATCH) of the University have jointly established the Dr. Jennifer Cheung Chui-yiu, JP, Poetic Heritage Translation Award (張伍翠瑤博士 “古詩新解新譯” 獎學金). Purposes of the Award are:
- to promote innovative and creative work in translating Chinese classic poems that were historically significant but have not been translated into English;
- to revive the literary beauty and cultural significance of the forgotten poems and retell the meaningful stories behind them; and
- to enable capacity building by LT students in exploring, transforming, and transmitting the Chinese poetic heritage to the world through translation.
The Awards mark a remarkable learning outcome of multidisciplinary collaboration to integrate history, architecture, media and language, for cultural awareness and enhancement. The Awards have been established with effect from the 2017/18 academic year for 5 consecutive years under the following regulations:
- There shall be 3 awards per annum and the value of the awards shall be $5,000, $3,000 and $2,000.
- The Awards shall be granted to LT students of full-time majors (BA and MA).
- Awardees shall demonstrate competent language ability in both English and Chinese.
- Awardees shall demonstrate appreciation of Chinese classical poems.