About the Scheme
CALIS welcomes all non-final year full-time undergraduate students from the College of Science. It is a 4-week summer study tour that takes place in the UK. It aims to improve students’ English proficiency through immersion in the British culture and classroom learning, comprising a variety of activities such as homestay at a local family, service learning, day trips, excursions and sightseeing.
The Scheme will help you:
- To take on a global perspective
- To gain cultural exchange experience
- To become more independent and confident
- To improve English & achieve good IELTS score
- To better prepare yourselves for student exchange or overseas internship or scholarship interviews in coming years
Students will go to the University of Oxford in the summer:
- English classes - IELTS preparation, English language workshops and study skills tutorial
- Homestay with a local family near campus
- Visits - Oxford Castle & Prison, Christchurch (the Harry Potter) College, The Bridge of Sighs
- Sports - Punting, "Real Tennis"
- Industrial Visit - Mini Cooper Car Plant
- Service Learning - Guide Dogs Association, OxGrow Gardening
- Day Trips - London, Aston Villa Football Club, Cotswolds
- Excursion - World Heritage Sites: Bath and Stonehenge
The above activities are subject to change due to restrictions from COVID-19.
Information Session Powerpoint
Application Deadline: Application will remain open until all quotas are filled
Selection Result: on a rolling basis
Settle 40% of Programme Fees (non-refundable): within one week of offer
Pre-departure Preparation: from April until departure
Programme Dates: 25 June - 22 July 2023
Final Presentation and Assignments: August 2023
Budget Estimate for Summer 2023 (Subject to approval of CALIS funding)
University subsidizes 60% of programme fee: HKD33,600
Student pays 40% of programme fee: HKD22,400
Additional Cost To be Borne by Students
-Daily expenses and local transportation
-Travel and medical insurances policies that will cover COVID-19
-Visa application fees, if applicable
-Any vaccination, hotel quarantine and mandatory COVID-19 testing expenses required in the UK or when returning to Hong Kong, if applicable
The programme fee includes return airfare, homestay, breakfast and dinner at host family, teaching materials and IELTS test fee, transportation for trips and entrance fees.
Students need to pay a caution money of HKD8,000. It is non-transferable and does NOT form any portion of the programme fee. It will be returned to students only after students' successful completion of the programme. Students who withdraw at any time for any reason will not get any refund. If additional cost is incurred after full payment, e.g. change in exchange rate or rise of fuel cost, the additional cost will be deducted from the caution money.
The programme activities of CALIS include all the meetings and workshops, the pre-departure briefing, all the scheduled classes and activities in the UK and the post-CALIS debriefing and review meeting. Students are required to attend all the above-mentioned activities. Absent from any activity/class or failure to submit any assignment may result in the forfeiture of the caution money in part or in full.
All CSCI full-time non-final year undergraduate students are welcome. We are looking for students who are:
- Eager to improve English skills
- Eager to interact with people and make new friends
- Ready to explore the world
- Keen on experiencing another culture via immersion
- Hardworking, responsible & with good self-discipline
- Good at team-building and willing to contribute
Application is closed.
Ms Janice Lam
(852) 3442 6175
Ms Irene Cheng
(852) 3442 6176