Department of Media and Communication Center for Communication Research

Student Exchange

International Exchange

Frequently Asked Questions

Part I: Eligibility

1. Who is eligible?

All students who have completed one year of studies and earned a GPA of 2.5 and above at City University are eligible, whether they are UGC-funded or non-UGC funded.

2. Are mainland Chinese students eligible?

Yes. We have sent mainland Chinese students to the overseas countries for a semester in the past academic years.

Part II: Scholarships and Financial Issues

1. What are the scholarships for outgoing exchange students?

Outgoing UGC-funded students who are Hong Kong permanent residents may apply for sponsorship from the Student Exchange Fund (SEF) administered by the Global Engagement Office (GEO). The sponsorship, if approved, will be provided for one semester only.

SEF Sponsorship for CityU Students:
Region/Country of Study Maximum Amount of Sponsorship for One-semester Exchange
Africa, Americas, Europe (incl. Russia and Turkey), Middle EastHK$24,000
Australia, New ZealandHK$22,000
Asia, IndiaHK$16,000
Mainland ChinaHK$12,000

The grant is to cover up to 50% of the total cost incurred by the following items:

  • 1. Return economy class airfare,
  • 2. Accommodation, and
  • 3. Incidental expenses.

For outgoing non-local exchange students, please refer to GEO website for information about the special fund.

2. How much do I need to spend out of my own pocket?

The amount varies from one student to another. Realistically, you need to budget about HK$20,000 for overseas exchange programs and HK$5,000 for mainland Chinese programs.

Part III: Selection Criteria and Your Strategies

All applicants for programs at the university and college level will be ranked by a committee of exchange coordinators from academic departments at CLASS.

For detailed information of college-level partners, see:

For detailed information of institutional-level partners, see:

Your strategy for your first choice based on your CGPA:

CGPA RangeShooting for
3.7 and above
  • Popular Western universities
  • all the rest of the universities in US, UK and Canada
  • Queensland U of Technology (Aus.)
  • U of Technology, Sydney (Aus.)
  • All the rest of the universities in Australia
  • Some universities in U.S. (e.g. Clarkson, N Carolina, Wisconsin)
  • Europe
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • Mostly universities in mainland China
  • College and departmental exchange partners (there are US, UK and Australian Universities e.g. San Jose State U, San Francisco State U, Curtin)

Application result will be announced on AIMS.

Part IV: Credit Transfer and Graduation Time

1. How many credits can I transfer?

In most cases, you can transfer as many as 15 credits. If credits are earned from universities in Australia, you may get as many as 28 credits calculated in a different system. However, we will convert them into only 15 credits.

If your study plan is well made and approved by the major leader prior to or during your stay in the exchange partner, all the credits can be transferred. Therefore, you can be assured that you will graduate on time.

2. How do I make the study plan?

We require all our exchange students to fill out a relevant Study Plan and have this plan approved by the major leader before your departure. For this purpose, please download the relevant study plan form (for BAMDCM students) (for BATVB students) and use this to draft your plan. Once you have made the plan, submit it to the major leader for approval. For BAMDCM students, your major leader is Dr Crystal Jiang. For BATVB students, your major leader is Dr Limin Liang. The Departmental Exchange Coordinator is Dr Ki Joon Kim (BAMDCM and BATVB).

The plan made before your departure is tentative. When you arrive at the partner university, you may find that some of the planned courses are unavailable or clash with each other. In that case, please email your new plans immediately to the major leaders for their approval.

Part V: The Language Tests

1. Do I need to take language tests?

If you plan to go to North America, you need to take the TOEFL test. If you plan to go to Europe and Australia, you need to take the IELTS. Generally, the minimum requirements are as follows:

  1. A minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test)
  2. A minimum IELTS band score of 6.5.
  3. Grade C or above in one of the following subjects:
    • HKALE AS Use of English
    • HKALE English Literature
    • GCEAL English Literature (or grade B GCSE English Language)
    • An English course approved by the Senate for fulfilling the University language requirement, or
  4. Level 4 of HKDSE English Language
  5. Any other equivalent English proficiency result, including a minimum of 1650 on SATI or International Baccalaureate Diploma with an overall minimum score of 28

In addition to the above, exchange students must also satisfy English language requirement, if any, set by the host university. If you go to mainland China or Taiwan, no English tests are required.

2. When should I take the tests?

Preferably, the tests should be taken before you apply. However, if you haven't, you can take it right after you have applied.

Part VI: Departmental Level Exchange School

Country / Region Partner Institutions
BelgiumInstitut des Hautes Etudes des Communications Sociales, Belgium
CanadaRyerson University
KoreaKonkuk University
KoreaKookmin University
Mainland ChinaBeijing Normal University
Mainland ChinaCommunication University of China
Mainland ChinaFudan University
Mainland ChinaHuazhong University of Science and Technology
Mainland ChinaNanjing University
Mainland ChinaShanghai Jiao Tong University
Mainland ChinaSun Yat-Sen University
Mainland ChinaTsing Hua University
Mainland ChinaZhejiang University
Mainland ChinaTongji University
TaiwanNational Cheng Chi University
TaiwanNational Chiao Tung University
GermanyLudwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU Munich)
The NetherlandsUniversity of Amsterdam #
USAAmerican University #

# Partners at Institutional Level. TWO exchange places are reserved for COM students per academic year.

Remarks: The Department reserves the right on adjusting the student exchange quota, if necessary.