Department of Media and Communication Center for Communication Research

MA Integrated Marketing Communication (MAIMC)


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where can I get the application form? And what are the application procedures?
    Online Application forms are available on the university website You may also review the materials uploaded onto the department website of All the detailed information regarding application requirements, procedures, etc. are available online.
  2. What application materials should I submit when applying for your program? Should I submit the original copies?
    When you fill the online application form, there will be specific instructions on what materials you should submit. In general, applicants are advised to upload the scan copy of supporting documents including academic transcripts with official explanation on the grading system (see examples) and degree certificates, examination/English test results etc. (if applicable) via their application account to facilitate quick and easy access by departments in consideration of their applications. In addition, you can attach (optional) letters of recommendation or certificates of awards/honors, etc. You will be requested to present the original of supporting documents for verification if admitted.. Applicants are NOT required to send original application materials to the Department of Media and Communication.
  3. How are and frequently, the applications be reviewed?
    The applications to our MAIMC program are to be reviewed on a rolling basis.
  4. I am very interested in your program. What are the entrance requirements?
  5. Can I stay in Hong Kong to work after completing my study in MAIMC programme?
    Yes, you can. Please review the relevant policies which are available on the HKSAR Immigration Department’s website.
  6. I noticed that you require "one or more years of work experience …" I am graduating with a BA in communication next summer. I have done internship in a TV station and a PR firm, but have not had a full-time job yet. Am I qualified?
    Professional working experience is "preferred" but not "required". What it means is that your application will still be considered even though you have no such experience. More specifically, if two applicants have the same academic qualifications and language skills, we would prefer the one who has more relevant working experience. For fresh graduates, we will take into account their internship experience. When you apply, please fill your internship activities in the section of "Employment" with a note to indicate "internship".
  7. How many letters of recommendation do you require? Who should I ask to write the letter? Is there any format for the letter?
    Letters of recommendation are optional (i.e., NOT required). When you apply, please feel free to attach one or two recommendation letters. If possible, get a letter from your current/former employer/supervisor. There is no formal format for the letter, which could be informal but informative.
  8. Do I need to submit a personal statement when applying for your program? How long should I write the statement of purpose?
    Yes, you'll need to write a statement of purpose (not research proposal) and include it as a part in application form. In the statement, please describe your prior experience (including internship, voluntary service or any other informal involvement) in communication or marketing industries; your knowledge and skills of, or academic training in, integrated marketing communication; and your career plans after graduating from our program. There is no specific requirement for the length of the statement. The general principle is to keep it short but informative. Usually, 500 words will be sufficient.
  9. What does it mean by "Full-time and Part-time study modes"? If your classes are scheduled in evenings or at weekends, do "full time" students take these classes?
    Full-time (FT) and Part-time (PT) are defined based on the number of courses a student takes in a semester. According to HK Immigration Department's requirement, non-local students need to study on a FT basis by taking no less than 12 credits (= 4 courses in our program) each semester. Therefore, non-local students have to enroll as FT students. Local students are not subject to the requirement. In practice, most local students are working professionals who take two courses per semester, which are usually scheduled in evenings or at weekends. Some local students choose to do FT, though. For FT students (local or non-local), some courses are scheduled in evenings or at weekends, and others during daytime, depending on the availability of classrooms, teaching staff, and student enrollment. In short, the difference between FT and PT is a student-visa issue and has nothing to do with class scheduling.
  10. Do I need to submit a Chinese translation of my academic transcript, degree certificate, scholarship award, and all other application materials?
    Not necessarily. The best advice is to submit all application documents in original language(s). Of course, your application form, including the statement of purpose, should be in English.
  11. What are "Chinese Character Codes" in the application form?
    The codes are for local applicants. Overseas applicants can leave these blank.
  12. Can you explain what "Professional Qualifications" are?
    "Professional Qualifications" refer to certifications from authorized bodies such as engineering, medical, legal, accounting, and other professional societies.
  13. Is it true that City University follows the principle that earlier applicants can have offers earlier if they are successfully admitted into the programme?
    Yes, we operate on a rolling basis, which means that we admit highly qualified applicants when the application period is still open. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
  14. I majored in English for my BA-degree study. Is it appropriate for me to apply for this program?
    Training in a communication field is preferred. However, we also consider the applications by the applicants whose special areas of study are NOT communication related ones. You shall apply; in addition, if you have done or will do internship at a communication/media organization for a few months, your chances to be admitted into the programme is enhanced.
  15. Can I submit my IELTS score after I get an offer because I will attend an IELTS test in March 2020?
    No. A satisfactory score of the relevant English test (IELTS, TOEFL, or CET6) is a prerequisite for admission consideration.

We receive thousands of applications and large amount of enquiries during the admission period, and we seek your understanding that we are unable to response to individual enquiry on admission progress and results. The admission team will contact you by email if any of your supporting documents are missing. Your understanding is appreciated.