MA Communication and New Media (MACNM)


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I learnt that the programme will introduce three new streams starting from 2016/17, do I need to indicate my stream preference in the application?
    No, you are not required to indicate the stream preference at the application stage. Stream selection will introduce at the Student Orientation before semester starts.
  2. What if my preferred stream in not being offer in an academic year?
    The offer of a stream is contingent on the availability of teaching staff and the minimum number of students pre-selecting the stream. In case a stream cannot be offered for an academic year, the Digital Media Stream will be the default stream.
  3. Can I stay in Hong Kong to work after graduation from MACNM?
    Yes, you can. Please read the relevant policies which are available on the HK SAR government's website.
  4. I'd like to ask that if MA in Communication and New Media recruits postgraduate students in September 2019? I am interested in this program very much and yearn for applying for it.
    Yes, we recruit every year. For the class starting in September 2019, we'll begin to admit applicants for our program in mid-November 2018. Please go to the web page to start your online application.
  5. I am very interested in your program. What are the entrance requirements?
  6. What documents do I need to submit online besides the application form?
    Applicants are advised to upload the supporting documents including academic transcripts with official explanation on the grading system (see examples) and degree certificates, examination/English test results etc. (if applicable) via their application account to facilitate quick and easy access by departments in consideration of their application.
  7. How many letters of recommendation do you require? Who should I ask to write the letter? Is there any format for the letter?
    Letters of recommendation are optional (i.e., not required). When you apply, please feel free to attach one or two recommendation letters. There is no formal format for the letter, which could be informal but informative.
  8. Where can I get the application form? What application materials should I submit when applying for your program? Should I submit the original copies?
    Online application forms are available on the university website When you fill the online application form, there will be specific instructions on what materials you should submit. In general, the required materials include your academic transcripts, degree certificates, English test score (if applicable). In addition, you can attach (optional) letters of recommendation or certificates of awards/honors, etc. You can upload the scan copy of materials when applying but will need to show the original if admitted. Applicants are NOT required to send original application materials to the Department of Media and Communication.
  9. Do I need to submit a personal statement when applying for your program?
    Yes, you'll need to submit an Applicant Statement (not research proposal) as part of the application form. In the statement, please describe your prior experience (including internship, voluntary service or any other informal involvement) in communication or media industries; your knowledge and skills of new media technologies (e.g., design and production of online or offline content); and your career plans after graduating from our program.
  10. How long should I write the Applicant Statement? Is there any requirement for the number of words?
    There is no specific requirement for the length of the statement. The general principle is to keep it short but informative. Usually, between 500 to 1000 words will be sufficient.
  11. What does it mean by "Full-time and Part-time"? If your classes are scheduled in evenings, do "full time" students take classes not only in evenings, but also during day time?
    Full-time (FT) and Part-time (PT) are defined based on the number of courses a student takes in a semester. According to HK Immigration Department's requirement, non-local students need to study on a FT basis by taking no less than 12 credits (= 4 courses in our program) each semester. Therefore, non-local students are generally FT students. Local students are not subject to the requirement. In practice, most local students are working professionals who take two courses per semester, which are indeed scheduled in evenings. Some local students choose to do FT, though. For FT students (local or non-local), some courses are scheduled in evenings and others during daytime, depending on the availability of classroom, teaching staff, and student enrollment. In short, the difference between FT and PT is a student-visa issue and has nothing to do with class scheduling.
  12. Do I need to submit a Chinese translation of my academic transcript, degree certificate, scholarship award, and all other application materials?
    Not necessarily. The best advice is to submit all application documents in original language(s). Of course, your application form, including the statement of purpose, should be in English.
  13. Can I submit my IELTS score after I get an offer because I will take an IELTS test in March 2019?
    No. A satisfactory score of the relevant English test (IELTS, TOEFL, or CET6) is a prerequisite for admission.
  14. What are "Chinese Character Codes" in the application form?
    The codes are for local applicants. Overseas applicants can leave these blank.
  15. Can you explain what "Professional Qualifications" are?
    "Professional Qualifications" refer to certifications from authorized bodies such as engineering, medical, legal, accounting, and other professional societies.
  16. Is it true that CityU adheres to the principle that earlier applicants can have offers earlier?
    Yes, we operate on a rolling basis, which means that we admit highly qualified applicants when the application period is still open. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
  17. I major in English. Is it suitable for me to apply for this program?
    Applicants without a major or a minor in communication related areas of studies must have the basic knowledge about media and communication through coursework and an internship in communication related areas for at least three months. Substantive working experience in communication related areas such as a full-time job in a communication related position for at least one year will satisfy the requirement for the basic knowledge about communication.
  18. When will MACNM students start to select the programme stream?
    Successful applicants will be enrolled in the MACNM programme with an undeclared stream and they will be invited to declare a stream after the commencement of Semester A. At the application stage, applicants can indicate their preference in the online application supplement form.