Dr. Yuan Wang is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Media and Communication at City University of Hong Kong. His research interests focus on the strategic roles of digital media (e.g., social media and mobile technology) in public relations processes and outcomes, including relationship management, public engagement, and dialogic communication, through social scientific approaches. He has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals, such as Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Public Relations Review, New Media & Society, International Journal of Strategic Communication, and Nonprofit Management and Leadership. His research has won the Top Paper Award of the National Communication Association and the Peter Debreceny Corporate Communication Award. He has also obtained external and internal research grants from various organizations. He is currently an Associate Editor of the Journal of Creative Communications and an editorial board member for several peer-reviewed journals. Before joining City University of Hong Kong, Dr. Wang was a tenure-track Assistant Professor at Eastern Kentucky University, U.S. Prior to entering academia, he gained professional experience in strategic communication, digital media, and marketing at some leading corporations.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Wang, Y., & Guan, L. (2020). Mapping the structures of international communication organizations’ networks and cross-sector relationships on social media and exploring their antecedents. Public Relations Review, 46(4), 101951. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2020.101951 [SSCI]
- Wang, Y. (2020). When relationships meet situations: Exploring the antecedents of employee communication behaviors on social media. Social Science Computer Review. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/0894439320904719 [SSCI and SCI]
- Wang, Y. (2020). Building relationships with fans: How sports organizations used Twitter as a communication tool. Sport in Society. Advanced online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/17430437.2020.1725475 [SSCI]
- Wang, Y. (2020). Exploring the linkages among transparent communication, relational satisfaction and trust, and information sharing on social media in problematic situations. El Profesional de la Información, 29(3), e290207. https://doi.org/10.3145/epi.2020.may.07 [SSCI]
- Wang, Y., & Yang, Y. (2020). Dialogic communication on social media: How organizations use Twitter to build dialogic relationships with their publics. Computers in Human Behavior, 104, 106183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2019.106183 [SSCI]
- Wang, Y., & Ki, E.-J. (2018). Membership matters: Why members engage with professional associations. VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 29(1), 71-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11266-017-9873-x [SSCI]
- Hopp, T., Parrot, S., & Wang, Y. (2018). Use of military-themed first-person shooter games and militarism: An investigation of two potential facilitating mechanisms. Computers in Human Behavior, 78, 192-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.09.035 [SSCI]
- Kim, Y., Kim, B., Kim, Y., & Wang, Y. (2017). Mobile communication research in communication journals from 1999 to 2014. New Media & Society, 19(10), 1668-1691. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444817718162 [SSCI]
- Wang, Y., Ki, E.-J., & Kim, Y. (2017). Exploring the perceptual and behavioral outcomes of public engagement on mobile phones and social media. International Journal of Strategic Communication, 11(2), 133-147. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1553118X.2017.1280497 [Scopus]
- Wang, Y., & Dong, C. (2017). Applying social media in crisis communication: A quantitative review of social media-related crisis communication research from 2009 to 2017. International Journal of Crisis Communication, 1(1), 29-37.
- Ki, E.-J., & Wang, Y. (2016). Membership benefits matter: Exploring the factors influencing members’ behavioral intentions in professional associations. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 27(2), 199-217. doi:10.1002/nml.21230 [SSCI]
- Kim, Y., Chen, H., & Wang, Y. (2016). Living in the smartphone age: Examining the conditional indirect effects of mobile phone use on political participation. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 60(4), 694-713. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2016.1203318 [SSCI]
- Yang, Y., Wang, Y., & Billings, A. C. (2016). Online Chinese discussions about the 2014 World Cup. Online Information Review, 40(6), 834-848. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/OIR-01-2016-0031 [SSCI and SCI]
- Wang, Y. (2016). How do television networks use Twitter? Exploring the relationship between Twitter use and television ratings. Southern Communication Journal, 81(3), 125-135. doi:10.1080/1041794X.2015.1116593 [Scopus, lead article]
- Kim, Y., Wang, Y., & Oh, J. (2016). Digital media use and social engagement: How social media and smartphone use influence social activities of college students. Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking, 19(4), 264-269. doi:10.1089/cyber.2015.0408 [SSCI]
- Kim, Y., Kim, Y., Wang, Y., & Lee, N. Y. (2016). Uses and gratifications, journalists’ Twitter use, and relational satisfaction with the public. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 60(3), 503-526. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2016.1164171 [SSCI]
- Kim, Y., Kim, Y., & Wang, Y. (2016). Selective exposure to podcast and political participation: The mediating role of emotions. International Journal of Mobile Communications, 14(2), 133-148. http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2016.075021 [SSCI]
- Wang, Y. (2015). Incorporating social media in public relations: A synthesis of social media-related public relations research. Public Relations Journal, 9(3). Available online: http://www.prsa.org/Intelligence/PRJournal/Vol9/No3/
- Wang, Y., & Zhou, S. (2015). How do sports organizations use social media to build relationships? A content analysis of NBA clubs’ Twitter use. International Journal of Sport Communication, 8(2), 133-148. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/IJSC.2014-0083
- Equal Opportunities Commission Funding Programme of Research Projects on Equal Opportunities (Hong Kong), A Study of Online Media Representation of Ethnic Minorities and Online Racial Discrimination in Hong Kong, 2020-2021, Principal Investigator, HKD 54,041.6, On-going.
- City University of Hong Kong Strategic Research Grant (Hong Kong), A Longitudinal Study of Employee-organization Relationships and Organizational Citizenship Behavior, 2020-2022, Principal Investigator, HKD 100,000, On-going.
- City University of Hong Kong Strategic Research Grant (Hong Kong), Exploring the Antecedents and Outcomes of Employee–Organization Relationships: A Longitudinal Study of Start-up Companies in China, 2019-2021, Principal Investigator, HKD 100,000, On-going.
- City University of Hong Kong Start-up Grant for New Faculty (Hong Kong), A Panel Study of Employee–Organization Relationships in Greater China, 2018-2021, Principal Investigator, HKD 200,000, On-going.
- National Social Science Fund (Youth Program) (China), Communication and Integration of Traditional Culture in China in the Context of Mobile Communication, 2017-2020, Co-Investigator, CNY 200,000, Completed.
- Eastern Kentucky University Research Fund (USA), 2017-2018, Principal Investigator, USD 1,500, Completed.
- The University of Alabama Research Support Fund (USA), Advancing the Situational Theory of Publics: Exploring the Linkages among Strategic Internal Communication, Employee–Organization Relationships, Situational Perceptions, and Communication Behaviors on Social Media, 2017, Principal Investigator, USD 600, Completed.
- Center for Collaborative Innovation in the Heritage and Development of Tibetan Culture (China), Tibetan Image and International Communication: A Big Data Research Project on Chinese and International Social Media, 2016-2019, Co-Investigator, CNY 60,000, Completed.
- Principles of Public Relations
- Crisis Communication and Management
- Public Relations Strategies
- Public Communication Campaign Management
- Public Relations Writing
- Social Media and Public Relations
- Associate Editor, Journal of Creative Communications (a SAGE journal indexed in Scopus and ESCI) (2020 - Present)
- Member, Research Committee, Public Relations Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) (2020 - Present)
- Review Editor and Editorial Board Member, Frontiers in Political Science (2019 - Present)
- Mentor, Mentoring Program, AEJMC Public Relations Division (2019 - 2020)
- Member, Teaching Committee, AEJMC Public Relations Division (2018 - 2020)
- Member, Academic Committee, 12th International Forum on Public Relations and Advertising & 4th Annual Conference of Public Relations Society of China (2019)
- Editorial Board Member and Reviewer Board Member, International Journal of Crisis Communication (2017 - Present)
- Associate Editor, PR UPDATE (2017 - 2018)
- Member, PRIDE Committee, Public Relations Division of the National Communication Association (NCA) (2017 - 2018)
- Co-Chair, Graduate Student Liaison Committee, AEJMC Public Relations Division (2016 - 2017)
- Member, Selection Committee, NCA Public Relations Division (2015 - 2016)
- Graduate Student Representative, NCA Asian/Pacific American Communication Studies Division and Caucus (2015 - 2016)