Zhang Nan is a doctoral student who holds her MA in Communication, BA in Journalism, and LLB in Law. Her research interests are primarily the effects of new media on democracy and individuals’ life, with an emphasis on environmental participation in Greater China. She has conducted several surveys concerning new media empowerment, new media dependency of university students, and the impact of mobile phone use on civic engagement. She is the co-author of the book Statistic Fundamentals of Journalism and Communication (Xiamen University Press).
- Zhang, N. & Skoric, M. M. (2019). Media use and environmental engagement: Comparing China and Hong Kong. China Media Report, 18(3), 15-25. (In Chinese). 张楠 & Skoric, M. M. (2019). 媒体使用与环境参与：比较新闻媒体与社交媒体的作用. 中国传媒报告, 18(3), 15-25.
- Kasadha, J., Zhang, N., Mpoza, A., & Alli, Adam, A., (2019). The 2020 U.S. Presidential Elections: A litmus test. Journal of Public Affairs. [e1994]. Advance online publication. DOI:10.1002/pa.1994
- Zhang, N. & Skoric,M.M. (2019). Making the news: environmental NGOs and their media visibility in China. Chinese Journal of Communication, Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1080/17544750.2019.1610468
- Zhang, N. & Skoric, M. M. (2018). Media Use and Environmental Engagement: Examining Differential Gains from News Media and Social Media. International Journal of Communication, 12, 380-403.
- Ai, M., & Zhang, N. (2016). The “Small World” of Chinese Celebrities: A Social Network Analysis of People Weibo. In L. SUN, & P. YANG (Eds.), New Observations on Literature and Media (1 ed., pp. 195-204). Guangzhou: Sun Yat-Sen University Press. (In Chinese). 艾民伟 & 张楠 (2016). 名人圈里的小世界：人民微博的网络结构与影响力分析. 孙立、杨萍主编，文学传媒新观察（学术卷），广州：中山大学出版社，195-204.
- Zeng, X., & Zhang, N. (2015). Statistics Fundamentals of Journalism and Communication. Xiamen: Xiamen University Press. (In Chinese) 曾秀芹 & 张楠 (2015). 新闻传播统计学基础. 厦门：厦门大学出版社 (荣获2017年度福建省优秀特色教材)
- Ai, M., Zhang, N., et al. (2014). One tragedy, many stories: Agenda building in Weibo. China Review of Journalism & Communication Studies (Communication University of China), 1, 144-156. (In Chinese) 艾民伟 & 张楠 (2014). 一个悲剧，许多故事：毕节“流浪儿”窒亡事件中的微博议题建构. 雷跃捷、陈卫星主编, 中国新闻传播学评论 (第1辑)，北京：中国传媒大学出版社，144-156.
- Zhang, N., Ai M. et al. (2014). The concept and operationalization of mobile phone dependency: A survey of current college students. Modern Advertising, 281(17), 78-86. (In Chinese) 张楠等 (2014). 手机依赖的概念内涵及其现状调查——一项基于大学生群体的研究, 现代广告（学术刊），17，78-86.
- ZHANG, N. & SKORIC, M. M. (2018). Making the News: Environmental NGOs and Media Coverage in China. Paper presented at the NCA-CUC 2018 Summer Conference, 22-23 June, Beijing, China.
- ZHANG, N. (2018). Environmental NGOs and media presence: Examining Chinese ENGOs’ social media use strategies and their media visibility. Paper presented at 68th Annual Conference of International Communication Association (ICA), Prague, Czech Republic.
- ZHANG, N., & AI, M. (2018). Environmental NGOs and the green public sphere: A case study in China. Paper presented at 68th Annual Conference of International Communication Association (ICA), Prague, Czech Republic.
- ZHANG, N. (2017). Social media use and environmentalism in China: a study of Chinese
environmental NGOs’ Weibo use behavior. Paper presented at 8th Honours Symposium for Asian PhD students in Communication Research. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- ZHANG, N., & AI, M. (2017). Mobile Phone Use and Online Civic Engagement: An Empirical Study on University Students. Paper presented at 9th Postgraduate Symposium of the Chinese Journalism and Communication Consortium. Hong Kong, China.
- ZHANG, N., & AI, M. (2017). Frame, emotion, and online opinion: The formation of public opinions in Weibo. Paper presented at 67th Annual Conference of International Communication Association (ICA), San Diego, United States.
- ZHANG, N., & AI, M. (2017). Second-level agenda setting in China: A comparison of media frames and online public frames in a disaster context. Paper presented at 67th Annual Conference of International Communication Association (ICA), San Diego, United States.
- ZHANG, N., & AI, M. (2016). Examining second-level agenda setting in the digital era: The case of China. Paper presented at 7th Honours Symposium for Asian PhD students in Communication Research, Hong Kong, China.
- AI, M., ZHANG, N. et al. (2014). Innovation and diffusion in rual areas: A survey on agricultural technologies. 5th Journalism and Communication Graduate Forum of Central China, 15-16 November, 2014, Wuhan, China.
- AI, M., ZHANG, N. et al. (2013). One tragedy, many stories: Agenda building in Weibo. Annual Conference of Chinese Communication Association, 13-15 July, 2013, Taipei, China.
- 2016-2018 Research Tuition Scholarship, City University of Hong Kong.
- 2016-2017 Outstanding Academic Performance Award, City University of Hong Kong.
- 2017 Excellent Textbook Award of Fujian Province, Fujian Education Department
- 2012-2015 Excellent Graduate Scholarship of Xiamen University
- 2012-2014 Top Paper Award of People.cn
- 2014 Top Paper Award of 5th Journalism and Communication Graduate Forum of Central China
- 2013 Scholarship of Global Times
- 2009-2012 Excellent Student Scholarship of Xiamen University
- 2012 Excellent graduation thesis award (BA & LLB)
- 2011 National Motivational Scholarship