Proven strategic communications executive with 20-plus years experience in integrated strategic communications. Now transitioning my career into academia & education. Designed curriculum for graduate and undergraduate programs focused on marketing communications and other fields, including advertising, & social media.
- Writing for Public Relations (Fall 2016)
- Fundamentals of Persuasion (Fall 2015)
- Fundamentals of Advertising (Fall 2015 & Spring 2014)
- Public Relations Strategy: Master's Programs Course (Fall 2014)
- DiGRA Taiwan (Digital Games Research Association): PLAYING WITH CONSUMERS- Evolving Consumer Interaction in Game Play
- NCA (National Communications Association) 2018; Salt Lake City, Utah. URBAN PLAY BOLSTERED BY COMPANIES BRANDING THE THIRD SPACE. Urban Communications Division Pre-Conference
- Advergames and Brands - City University of Hong Kong (2015)
- LGBT Culture and Presence in Media - Savanah College of Art & Design Hong Kong (2015)
- Culture Jamming and Public Relations - New York University (2009 & 2010)
- Product Placement - Columbia University (2008)
Columbia University (2012)
- Masters of Science Strategic Communications
Flagler College (1992)
- Bachelor of Arts English
- Bachelor of Arts Communications
- DiGRA (Digital Games Research Association)
- AEJMC (Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication)
- ICA (International Communication Association)
- NCA (National Communications Association)
- New York Health & Racquet Club; Vice President of Communications (2002-2012)
- Rubenstein Public Relations; Vice President (1997-1999; 2006)
- Rogers & Cowan (2000-2002)
- Visibility Public Relations; Account Director (1994 - 1997)
- Y103; Promotions Assistant (1990-1992)
- Middlesex Newspaper; Journalist (1987-1988)
- J. Travis’ media career started in Jacksonville, Florida’s radio industry at Y103 (now Coast 102.9) in 1989 promoting local concerts for popular performers of the time including Michael Bolton, New Kids on the Block, Smokey Robinson as well as local movie premieres for Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Dead Again, The Fisher King and others.
He has worked with many popular entertainers in music and television spanning the film, television & music industries. Projects & clients have included: Queen Latifah, Sarah Brightman, Dixie Carter, Sisquo / Dru Hill, Kelly Price, Bette Midler, Harry Belafonte and more.
In 2000, Travis joined Rogers & Cowan shifting his focus to bridge the gap between entertainment marketing for consumers and corporate publicity. Over the next two years, Travis worked on campaigns and projects for: the Grammy Awards / The Recording Academy, Altoids, Alpine Electronics, Icebreaker mints, and Publishers Clearing House.
Travis joined the New York Health & Racquet Club (NYHRC) in 2002 as the Brand Manager & Public Relations Director; eventually rising to Vice President of Communications. The work details the entire media profile of the chain to maximize a limited budget. The primary focus started as repositioning this 30 year old company as a vibrant and significant health club in the saturated NYC market. As a result, NYHRC regularly is featured on / in The Today Show, Pix 11 Morning News, Fox News, CBS, ABC, NY 1, & the newspapers / magazines: Fitness, Shape, Self, Health, New York Times, New York Post, Daily News, and more.