Juma Kasadha is a PhD student in the Department of Media and Communication. And a (Visiting) Research Assistant at United Nations University-Computing &Society-Macao. He has practiced Print journalism in Uganda since 2009 with The Observer Newspaper. Kasadha's research interests are in New Media technologies and citizen political engagement; Health Communication, journalism and Film Studies. In 2015, he authored and published Uganda’s first book on its mushrooming Film industry.
As a professional photographer and journalist, Kasadha was among the selected 15 photographers who traversed Northern Uganda, a once war torn region for over two decades to tell communities' stories of socioeconomic and political hope through photography. Photographic works involve projects done for United Nations Agencies in Uganda under the Northern Uganda Early Recovery Project. Part of his work was exhibited at 2011 CHOGM in Australia- Perth and has participated in numerous contests globally.His teaching experience covers Print journalism; Photography, Radio and Television Production and Film Studies at different Universities in Uganda.
- Kasadha, J., Alli, Adam. A., Basuuta, Aisha, K., & Mpoza, A. (2019). Social Media Taxation and its impact on Africa’s economic growth Journal of Public Affairs. [e2004] DOI:10.1002/pa.2004
- Kasadha, J., Zhang, N., Mpoza, A., & Alli, Adam, A., (2019). The 2020 U.S. Presidential Elections: A litmus test. Journal of Public Affairs. [e1994]. DOI:10.1002/pa.1994
- Kasadha J. (2019). Does Social Media Matter in Developing Democracies? Examining its Impact on Citizen Political Participation and Expression in Uganda. Journal of Public Affairs, [e1981]. https://doi.org/10.1002/pa.1981
- Kasadha J. (2018). Information Technology to Support Digitally Networked Action in Developing Economies: A Case of Nyanzi’s #Pads4GirlsUg Campaign. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries. DOI:10.1002/isd2.12009
Article(s) Under Review
- Kasadha, J. (2019) “Uganda’s Nomadic Karamojong Community using Social Media to reconcile” Peace Review-A social Justice Journal
- Kasadha, J. (2019). Digital Reconciliation: A Social Media Reconciliation Model (SMRC). Conflict Resolution Quarterly
- Kasadha, J. (2019). Social Media and Conflict Typology: Information Technologies to Support Digital Reconciliation. Journal of Security Dialogue
- Kasadha, J. & Kantono R. (2019). Media Representation and its Impact on Female Candidates’ Electability in Parliamentary Elections: A Content Analysis of three Ugandan Newspapers. Journal of Public Affairs.
- Kasadha J. (2019 Accepted minor revision). The role of ICTs in Community Building and Reconciliation in post conflict communities: A case of #Let’sTalkUganda in Northern Uganda. Conflict Resolution Quarterly
Selected Conference Papers
- Kasadha J. (2019). The role of ICTs in Community Building and Reconciliation in post conflict Northern Uganda: A case of #Let’sTalkUganda". Accepted for Presentation at The International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) Madrid, Spain, July 7-11, 2019.
- Adam, A. A. & Kasadha, J.(2019). Rethinking Local Governance in the Africa’s Developing democracies: A Big Data Perspective for East Africa. Accepted for Presentation at The World Association for Public Opinion Research (WAPOR), Toronto, Canada, May 19-21, 2019.
- Kasadha J. (2019). The role of inter-ethnic online interactions in reconciling post-conflict societies in Africa. Evidence from Uganda. Accepted for Presentation at The World Association for Public Opinion Research (WAPOR), Toronto, Canada, May 19-21, 2019.
- Kasadha J. (2019). Does Social Media Matter in Developing Democracies? Examining its Impact on Citizen Political Participation and Expression in Uganda. Accepted paper to be presented at the World Association for Public Opinion Research (WAPOR), Toronto, Canada, May 19-21, 2019.
- Kasadha J. & Kantono R. (2018). Media Representation of Female Candidates in Ugandan Parliamentary Elections: A Content Analysis of three Newspapers. Presented at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), Washington, DC., USA, August 6-9, 2018.
- Kasadha J. (2017). Agenda Setting and Social Media: Trump-Clinton tweets and its effects on public and media perceptions in the 2016 U.S Presidential Campaigns. Accepted At the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), Cartagena, Colombia, July 16-20, 2017.
- Kasadha, J. (2017). The Weight of Words: Social Media and the Power of Language. Konrad Adenauer Stiftung Social Media Conference 2017: #UgandaSocialMedia, Kampala, Uganda.
Invited Presentations, Seminars & Colloquia
- Facts, Freedoms and Rights in a connected World. Invited speaker at Konrad Adenauer Stiftung Social Media Conference on ‘The Weight of Words-Social Media and the Power of Language’ in Uganda, Kampala Serena Hotel, June 22, 2017.
- Safe Male Circumcision. Invited Speaker at Baylor College of Medicine Children's Foundation-Uganda on ‘Safe, Voluntary, Informed Male Circumcision: An HIV Prevention Approach for Rwenzori Region’ in Mulago Hospital, Kampala February 10, 2016.
- Audio-Visual Documentation in Participatory Democracy & Governance. Invited Speaker at Actionaid Uganda- Pallisa Local Rights Program (LRP) on ‘Media: Scaling to the 21st Century Trends’ in Eastern Uganda, Pallisa; April 9, 2015.
- University experiences and Students’ Expectations. Invited speaker at Livingstone International University on ‘Merging a student’s Economic hopes in an Academic Life: A personal Experience’ in Eastern Uganda, Mbale; March 4, 2015.
- The Future of our Children. Invited speaker at Bugisu High School on ‘A reflection from the past to the Present’ in Eastern Uganda, Mbale; March 8, 2015.
- My Tree Your Tree Environmental Conservation campaign. Invited speaker at United Nations-Karamoja Team Meeting on ’93.1 Go Green Tree Planting Campaign’ in Moroto, Karamoja Region; September 25, 2014.
- Master classes on Light and Sound Management. Volunteer Speaker at Uganda Communications Commission 2nd Film Festival on ‘Mastering Light for better Filming’ in Uganda, Grip and Sparks Gaffer, Kampala; August 25-29, 2014
- The Threats and Opportunities of Social Media: Uses and Abuses. Invited Speaker at Islamic University in Uganda during the Students’ leadership Training, at IUIU Main Campus, Mbale Eastern Uganda, August 12-14, 2014
- Connecting with Street Kids: Photo Storytelling Workshop. Invited Speaker at Child Restoration Outreach on ‘Using photography to empower street children after LRA War’ in Northern Uganda, CRO-LIRA offices, October 3, 2010.
Islamic University In Uganda
- 2016/17: Publication Editing, Layout and Design
- 2015/16: Public Affairs Reporting; Publication Editing, Layout and Design, Broadcast Journalism (Television and Radio), Online and Civic Journalism, Environmental Journalism, Broadcast News Reporting, Computer Applications for Communication, Introduction to Photo Journalism, Commercial Photography, Television and Radio Production, Publications Production
- 2014/15: Publication Editing, Layout and Design; Broadcast Journalism (Television & Radio),Online and Civic Journalism, Environmental Journalism, Broadcast News Reporting, Introduction to Photo Journalism, Publications Production, Television and Radio Production, Commercial Photography, Internship II, Internship I
- 2012/13: Introduction to Photo Journalism; Human Rights & media, Introduction to
Broadcasting, Human Rights & media and Newspaper Production
- 2011/12: News Writing and Reporting, Introduction to Photojournalism; Human Rights & media, Introduction to Broadcasting, Globalization and Communication.
Livingstone International University
- 2015/16: Introduction to Radio & TV Production, Advanced Photography, Broadcast News Writing and Reporting
Institute of Management, Science and Technology (IMSAT)
- 2011/12: News Writing and Reporting, Introduction to Photojournalism and Advanced Photography; Publication Layout and Design.
- 2015 Post Graduate Diploma in Management & Teaching H.E (Islamic University in Uganda –Uganda)
- 2013-2014 MA. Communication & Media Studies (Cyprus International University-Turkey)
- 2007-2010 BSc. Mass Communication(Islamic University in Uganda –Uganda)
- Social Network Analysis of Social Media: Tracking Patterns of Information Flow, Emerging Communities and Influential Users. (CityU Summer School 2017)