Given the pandemic situation in the United States and students' safety as the top priority, the host has suspended the Silicon Valley Study Tour 2021.
About the Scheme
Host University: San Jose State University
Objectives of the Study Tour
- To see how Silicon Valley succeeds as a breeding ground for high-tech companies in the US and worldwide
- To engage students in a team project so that they can work with talents worldwide
- To help students position themselves as budding scientists / engineers in innovative technologies
- To encourage CENG students to make a successful career using their professional knowledge
It is a 4-week program comprising 4 major components.
Week 1: CityU - specific program
Weeks 2-4: Joint program with other international students
Four major components:
- Field trips and Cultural Trips
- Company visits
- Team projects
Field trips and Cultural Trips
- Golden Gate Park
- Computer History Museum
- Levi’s Stadium & Museum
- Stanford University & Stanford Shopping Centre
- 42 Silicon Valley
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- San Francisco Exploratorium
- US Patent Office
- Medical device company
- Silicon Valley Ecosystem
- AI/Big Data
- Exploring Silicon Valley Companies – Case Studies
- Intellectual Property Rights Overview
- Marketing Strategies in the Innovation Economy
- Current Issues in Silicon Valley
- History of Silicon Valley & its High-Tech Companies
- Effective Communication Skills
- Computer Networking
- Virtual Reality in Space and VR Lab Tour
- Entrepreneurship, Business Proposals & Fund Raising
- Accelerating Your Career in High Tech’s Ever Changing World
- Smart Home Networking
- Cyber Security Awareness of College Students
- Understanding the Innovation Process
- Adventures in Ventures
The program content is subject to change depending on the weather conditions and availability of the companies to visit.
Students will team up with participants worldwide to work on a group project
The topic is to be proposed by each team
At the end of the study tour, students will present their project at the “Final Presentation and Competition” session; good performers will earn a prize.
- Start date: 26 June 2021 (Sat) – depart from HK
- End date: 24 July 2021 (Sat) – depart from San Francisco
- Duration: 4 weeks
- Arriving early or staying behind is NOT ALLOWED
- All participants are to travel together
Intake quota: 25
During Study Tour
- Any assigned tasks given by host university
- Project presentation (for team project competition)
- Reflective essay with 5 representative photos with caption
- 2-minute video clip for each group
- Feedback questionnaire
- Sharing session
To be advised.
- Full-time undergraduate degree students of College of Engineering at Year-2 or Year-3 level
- CGPA: 2.0 or above
- Positive learning attitude, initiative and team-building abilities
- High level of independence and flexibility to change
- Excellent self-discipline
- Year 3 students who have not had overseas experience of ≥ 4 weeks before are given higher priority
- Application period via CRESDA (To be confirmed)
- Program Fee (includes accommodation in student dormitory, meals card (breakfast & lunch), transportation for field trips and cultural trips and medical insurance in SJSU)
- University (60%): Around HKD34,800
- Student (40%): Around HKD23,200
HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund - Non-academic Awards (TDS & ROA) 2019 - 20 (HK$10,000)
- Students with CGPA ≥ 3.0 may also apply for this ROA scholarship as additional financial support.
- University sponsorship will not be deducted upon students' successful application for the ROA scholarship.
[SDS / Parent Dept will announce later]
Students are responsible for obtaining the necessary visa and checking that their passport hold a minimum expiry period of 6 months when they enter the US. Cost of visa application and passport renewal is to be borne by the students.
The host university, namely San Hose State University, and CityU will issue the necessary supporting documents for students after the student list is confirmed and deposit is made.
For details of insurance policies offered by CityU, please refer to the webpage of the Finance Office. Students will need to purchase additional insurance and advice will be given after the student list is confirmed.
Ms Maidie Lo
(852) 3442 9148
Miss Stephanie Chan
(852) 3442 6172