The goal of the Minor in Korean Studies is to provide students with the effective communication skills in speaking, writing, reading, and listening comprehension in Korean, as well as provide familiarity with the principal cultural features of the Korean speaking world.
The minor provide students with Summer Internship Programme to encourage students to apply their academic training into professional practice in Korean global companies. In addition, students can participate in Summer Study Tour in reputable Korean language centres in universities/organizations in Korea to immerse themselves into the target language and culture context.
The Minor in Korean will be a useful complement to the course of studies of students engaged in a wide variety of disciplines (Economics & Finance, Asian & International Studies, Linguistics, Translation, Media, Communication, Political Science, East & Southeast Asian Studies, Business Management, Law, etc.), providing them with the opportunity to obtain insight into Korean culture, current affairs, and history, as well prepare them for interaction with Korean speaking society, which will continue to be the powerful thriving Asian force in the 21st century.
Upon successful completion of this Minor Degree, students should be able to:
- Write and speak Korean fluently.
- Identify key concepts of the history, current affairs and cultures of Korea.
- Compare the differences between their own culture and Korean culture.
- Apply their Korean skills in their profession.
1. Core Courses (12 credit units)
2. Electives (6 Credits)
Any 2 courses from the following electives
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit Units||Remarks|
|AIS3544||Comparative Management: China, Japan, and South Korea||3|
|AIS3810K||AIS Study Tour||3||Applies only to where the destination is Korea|
|AIS4407||Understanding Korean Society through Film||3|
|AIS4988||Contemporary Popular Culture of Korea||3|
|LC2916||Introduction to Structure of Korean Language||3|
|LC4405||Practical Korean Writing||3|
|LC4406||Practical Korean Speaking||3|
- Please be noted that some courses will only be offered once throughout one or two academic years. You are highly recommended to plan ahead your study schedule.
- AIS3810K AIS Study Tour only applies to where the destination is Korea.
- Students, (1) who have studied Korean elementary language courses [i.e. LC2973 (or AIS2973) and LC2974 (or AIS2974)], OR (2) hold an associate degree or diploma in Korean Studies, please contact the minor programme coordinator for consultation during the add/drop period. You will need to get prior approval to take two elective courses to fulfill the minor programme requirement.