Prof. ZHANG, Yuan-Ting
IAMBE Fellow, IEEE Fellow, AIMBE Fellow
Chair Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Prof. Yuan-Ting Zhang is currently the Chair Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, City University of Hong Kong. He was the founding Director of the Key Lab for Health Informatics of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and the founding Director of the CAS-SIAT Institute of Biomedical and Health Engineering. Professor Zhang dedicated his service to the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) from 1994 to 2015 in the Department of Electronic Engineering. He was the founding Director of the Joint Research Center for Biomedical Engineering and the first Head of the Division of Biomedical Engineering at the CUHK, where he led the efforts in developing and launching three education programmes (BEng, MSc and MPhil/PhD) all in biomedical engineering. He was the Sensing System Architect in Sensing Hardware and Health Technology at Apple Inc., Cupertino in California, USA. Before joining the CUHK, he was a Research Associate and Adjunct Assistant Professor between 1989 and 1994 at University of Calgary, Canada. He started his academic career at Department of Electronics from Shandong University, China in 1976.
Prof. Zhang serves currently as the Editor-in-Chief for IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, Chair of 2018 Gordon Research Conference on Advanced Health Informatics, Chair of the Working Group for the development of IEEE Standard on Wearable Cuffless Blood Pressure Measuring Devices (IEEE 1708), Chair of 2016-2018 IEEE Award Committee in Biomedical Engineering, and a Member of the Fellow Membership Committee and Award Committee of the International Academy of Medical and Biological Engineering (IAMBE). Prof. Zhang was the Editor-in- Chief for IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine and the founding Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
He served as Vice Preside of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), Technical Program Chair of the 20th IEEE-EMBS Annual Conference (EMBC’1998) in Hong Kong, General Conference Chair of EMBC’2005 in Shanghai, International Committee co-Chair of EMBC’2007 in Lyon, International Committee Chair of EMBC’11 in Boston, International Committee Chair of EMBC’13 in Osaka and Technical Program Co-Chair of EMBC’2017 in Korea. He is a co-founder (with Professor John Webster) of the IEEE EMBS International Summer School and Symposium on Biosensors and Medical Devices (ISSS-MDBS). He served as a member of Advisory Board and Scientific Committee at POSTECH in Korea, Adjunct Chair of Department of Biomedical Engineering at Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, and a member of Scientific Committee of the National Key Lab for Bioelectronics at Southeast University in Nanjing, China.
Prof. Zhang's research interests include cardiovascular health informatics, unobtrusive sensing and wearable devices, BSN/BAN security, neural muscular modeling and pHealth technologies. Prof. Zhang was the Chief Scientist for a National “973” Project on multi-modality sensing and imaging of plaques in vascular systems founded by the Ministry Of Science and Technology (MOST) of China, a Coordinator of the CAS-FEB Innovation Team for developing multi-modality and high resolution medical imaging, and an Investigator/Co-PI in several international research collaboration projects including European Union FP7 “HeartCycle” project led by Philips Research. He served on grant reviewing panels/committees of more than 10 different countries/regions including Wellcome Trust in UK, NIH in USA, NSERC in Canada, ITC in Hong Kong SAR, NSFC in China, MOST of Israel, MOST of India, a National Founding Agency in Netherland, etc. He was frequently invited to speak at academic, healthcare and industrial conferences all over the world on topics related to cardiovascular health informatics, unobtrusive sensing and wearable technologies. He was selected on the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 lists of China’s Most Cited Researchers by Elsevier. He won a number of international awards including IEEEEMBS best journal paper awards, IEEE-EMBS Outstanding Service Award, IEEE-SA 2014 Emerging Technology Award, IEEE-SA award for contributions to standard development, IEEE Greece Chapter Award for recognizing his contributions to biomedical and health informatics, and the Grand Award on e-Health from Asia Pacific ICT Alliance in Melbourne. Prof. Zhang is elected to be IAMBE Fellow, IEEE Fellow and AIMBE Fellow for his contributions to the development of wearable and m-Health technologies.
Professor Zhang completed his undergraduate studies in 1976 and Master degree in 1981 both in Shandong University, and received his PhD degree in Electrical & Computer Engineering in 1990 from University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Canada.
- NQ Luo, J Zhang, XR Ding, Z Zhou, Q Zhang, YT Zhang, SC Chen, JL Hu, …, "Textile‐Enabled Highly Reproducible Flexible Pressure Sensors for Cardiovascular Monitoring", Advanced Materials Technologies 3 (1), 2018.
- X Ding, BP Yan, YT Zhang, J Liu, N Zhao, and HK Tsang, "Pulse Transit Time Based Continuous Cuffless Blood Pressure Estimation: A New Extension and A Comprehensive Evaluation", Scientific Reports, 14 September 2017.
- XR Ding, N Zhao, GZ Yang, RI Pettigrew, B Lo, F Miao, Y Li, J Liu, and YT Zhang, "Continuous Blood Pressure Measurement From Invasive to Unobtrusive: Celebration of 200th Birth Anniversary of Carl Ludwig", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics 20 (6), 1455-1465, 2016.
- J Liu, BPY Yan, WX Dai, XR Ding, YT Zhang, and N Zhao, "Multi-wavelength Photoplethysmography Method for Skin Arterial Pulse Extraction", Biomedical Optics Express 7 (10), 4313-4326, 2016
- XR Ding, YT Zhang, J Liu, WX Dai, and HK Tsang, "Continuous Cuffless Blood Pressure Estimation Using Pulse Transit Time and Photoplethysmogram Intensity Ratio", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 63 (5), 964-972, 2016.
- NQ Luo, W Dai, C Li, Z Zhou, L Lu, CCY Poon, SC Chen, Y Zhang, N Zhao, "Flexible Piezoresistive Sensor Patch Enabling Ultralow Power Cuffless Blood Pressure Measurement", Advanced Functional Materials 26 (8), 1178-1187, 2016.
- YL Zheng, P Yan, YT Zhang and CY Poon., "Noninvasive Characterization of Vascular Tone by ModelBased System Identification in Healthy and Heart Failure Patients", Annals of Biomedical Engineering, doi:10.1007/s10439-015-1266-y, 2015.
- Q Liu, P Yan, CM Yu, YT Zhang and CY Poon, "Attenuation of Systolic Blood Pressure and Pulse Transit Time Hysteresis During Exercise and Recovery in Cardiovascular Patients", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol.61, issue.2, pp.346-352, Feb. 2014.
- YL Zheng, P Yan, YT Zhang and CY Poon, "An armband wearable device for overnight and cuff-less blood pressure measurement", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol.61,issue.7, pp. 2179-2186, April 2014.
- Y.L. Zheng, X.R. Ding, C.Y. Poon, P.L. Lo, H.Y. Zhang, X.L. Zhou, G.Z. Yang, N. Zhao and Y.T. Zhang, "Unobtrusive Sensing and Wearable Devices for health informatics", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol.61, issue.5 pp. 1538-1554, May 2014.
- Y.T. Zhang, C.Y. POON and E. Macpherson, "An Inaugural Message for the IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, vol.17, pp.3, 2013.
- Y.T. Zhang and C.Y. POON, "Health Informatics: Unobtrusive Physiological Measurement Technologies", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, vol.17, no.5, pp.893, 2013.
- MR Neuman, GD Baura, S.Meldrum, O Soykan, ME Valentinuzzi, RS Leder, S.Micera, and YT Zhang, "Advances in Medical Devices and Medical Electronics", Proceedings of the IEEE, 100th Anniversary Issue, May, 100: 1537- 1550 ,2012.
- R. S. H. Istepanaian, and Y. T. Zhang, "Guest Editorial Introduction to the Special Section: 4G Health—The Long-Term Evolution of m-Health", IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 16(1), pp.1-5, Jan. 2012.
- M.Y.M. Wong, E. Pickwell-MacPherson, Y. T. Zhang, J.C.Y Cheng, "The effects of pre-ejection period on post-exercise systolic blood pressure estimation using the pulse arrival time technique", European Journal of Applied Physiology, 111: 135-144,2011.
- Y. Li, C.C.Y. Poon and Y. T. Zhang, "Analog integrated Circuits Design for Processing Physiological Signals", IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol.3, pp.93-104, 2010.
- L. Wang, C.C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "The Non-Invasive and Continuous Estimation of Cardiac Output Using Photoplethysmogram and Electrocardiogram during Incremental Exercise", Physiological Measurement, vol. 31, pp. 715-726, 2010.
- A.K.Y. Wong, K.N. Leung, K.P. Pun, and Y. T. Zhang, "A 0.5Hz Highpass Cutoff Dual-Loop Transimpedance Amplifier for Wearable Nir Sensing Device", IEEE Trans. Circuit and Systems Ⅱ, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 531-535, 2010.
- Y. Li, A.K.Y. Wong, and Y. T. Zhang, "A Fully-Integrated Transimpedance Amplifier for Photoplethysmographic Signal Processing with Two-Stage Miller Capacitance Multiplier", Electronics Letters, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 745-746, 2010.
- Y. T. Zhang and C.C.Y. Poon, "Editorial Note on the Processing, Storage, Transmission, Acquisition, and Retrieval (P-STAR) of Bio, Medical, and Health Information", IEEE Trans. Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 895-896, 2010.
- R.F. Yan, C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "Evaluation Scale to Assess The Accuracy of Cuff-Less Blood Pressure Measuring Devices", Blood Pressure Monitoring, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 257-267, 2009.
- E. Jovanov, C.Y. Poon, G.Z. Yang, and Y. T. Zhang, "Guest Editorial Body Sensor Networks: from Theory to Emerging Applications", IEEE Trans. Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 859-863, 2009.
- M.Y.M. Wong, C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "An Evaluation of the Cuffless Blood Pressure Estimation Based on Pulse Transit Time Technique: a Half Year Study on Normotensive Subjects", Cardiovasc. Eng., vol. 9, pp. 32-38, 2009.
- S.Y. Huang, Y.X.J. Wang, D.K.W. Yeung, A.T. Ahuja, Y. T. Zhang, and E. PickwellMacPherson, "Tissue Characterization Using Terahertz Pulsed Imaging In Reflection Geometry", Phys. Med. Biol., vol. 54, pp. 149-160, 2009.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.C.Y. Poon, and E. MacPherson, "Editorial Note on Health Informatics", IEEE Trans. Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 281-283, 2009.
- S. Huang, P.C. Ashworth, K.W. Kan, Y. Chen, V.P. Wallace, Y.T. Zhang, E. Pickwell- MacPherson, "Improved sample characterization in terahertz reflection imaging and spectroscopy", Opt. Express, 17 (5), pp.3848-3854,2009.
- M.Y.M. Wong, E. Pickwell-MacPherson, Y.T. Zhang, "The acute effects of running on blood pressure estimation using pulse transit time in normotensive subjects", European journal of applied physiology, 107 (2), pp.169-175, 2009.
- Y.S. Yan and Y.T. Zhang, "An efficient motion-resistant method for wearable pulse oximeter", IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 12 (3), pp. 399-405, 2008.
- C.Y. Poon and Y. T. Zhang, "Perspectives on High Technologies for Low-Cost Healthcare – the Chinese Scenario", IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 42-47, 2008.
- E. Pickwell-MacPherson, S.Y. Huang, K.W.C. Kan, Y.W. Sun, and Y. T. Zhang, "Recent Developments of Terahertz Technology in Biomedicine", Journal of Innovation in Optical Health Science, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29-44, 2008.
- S.D. Bao, C.Y. Poon, Y. T. Zhang, and L.F. Shen, "Using the Timing Information of Heartbeats as an Entity Identifier to Secure Body Sensor Networks", IEEE Trans. Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 12, no.6, pp. 772-779, 2008.
- F. Chen and Y. T. Zhang, "A Novel Temporal Fine Structure-Based Speech Synthesis Model for Cochlear Implant", Signal Processing, vol.88, no.11, pp.2693-2699, 2008.
- X.F. Teng, Y. T. Zhang, C.C.Y. Poon, and P. Bonato, "Wearable Medical Systems for p-Health", IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol.1, pp. 62-74, 2008.
- X.Y. Zhang and Y. T. Zhang, "Relations between the Timing of the Second Heart Sound and Aortic Blood Pressure", IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., vol.55, no.4, pp. 1291-1297, 2008.
- Y. T. Zhang, "A Note From the Incoming Editor-in-Chief", IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 12, pp. 5-6, 2008.
- X.F. Teng and Y. T. Zhang, "Theoretical Study on the Effects of Sensor Contacting Force on Pulse Transit Time", IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., vol. 54, pp. 1490-1498, 2007.
- F. Chen and Y. T. Zhang, "An Integrated-And-Fire Based Auditory Nerve Model and Its Responseto HighRate Pulse Train", Neurocomputing, vol. 70, no. 4-6, pp. 1051-1055, 2007.
- X.F. Teng and Y. T. Zhang, "The Effect of Applied Sensor Contact Force on Pulse Transit Time", Physiological Measurement, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 675-684, 2006.
- X.Y. Zhang and Y. T. Zhang, "The Effects of Local Mild Cold Exposure on Pulse Transit Time", Physiological Measurement, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 649-660, 2006.
- F. Chen and Y. T. Zhang, "A new Implementation of Discrete Bionic Wavelet Transform: Adaptive Tiling", Digital Signal Processing, vol.16, no. 3, pp. 233-246, 2006.
- C.Y. Poon, Y.T. Zhang, and S.D. Bao, "A Novel Biometrics Method to Secure Wireless Body Area Sensor Networks for Telemedicine and m-Health", IEEE Communications Magazine, 44 (4), 73-81, 2006.
- Y.S. Yan, C.C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "Reduction of Motion Artifact in Pulse Oximetry by Smoothed Pseudo Wigner-Ville Distribution", J. of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, vol. 2, no. 3, 2005.
- A. Wong, K.P. Pun, Y. T. Zhang and K. Hung, "A Near-Infrared Heart Rate Measurement IC with Very Low Cutoff Frequency Using Current Steering Technique", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, vol. 52, pp. 2642-2646, 2005.
- W.W. Lam, L.H. Chu, C.L. Wong, and Y. T. Zhang, "A Surface Plasmon Resonance System for the Measurement of Glucose in Aqueous Solution", Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 105, pp. 138-143, 2005.
- R. Istepanian, E. Jovanov, and Y. T. Zhang, "Introduction to the Special Section on MHealth: Beyond Seamless Mobility and Global Wireless Health-Care Connectivity", IEEE Trans. Inf. Technol. Biomed., vol. 8, pp. 405-414, 2004.
- X.F. Teng and Y. T. Zhang, "The Effect of Contacting Force on Photoplethysmographic Signals", Physiological Measurement, vol. 25, pp. 1323-1335, 2004.
- K. Hung and Y. T. Zhang, "Implementation of A WAP-Based Telemedicine System for Patient Monitoring", IEEE Trans. Inf. Technol. Biomed., vol. 7, pp.101-107, 2003.
- X.Y. Zhang, F. Chen, Y. T. Zhang, S.C. Agner, M. Akay, Z.H. Lu, M.M. Waye, and S.K.W. Tsui, "Signal Processing Techniques in Genomic Engineering", Proc. IEEE, vol. 90, pp.1822-1833, 2002.
- J. Yao and Y. T. Zhang, "Bionic Wavelet Transform: a New Time-Frequency Method Based on an Auditory Model", IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., vol. 48, pp. 856-863, 2001.
- M. Hulliger, S.J. Day, A. Guimares, W. Herzog and Y.T. Zhang, "A new method for experimental simulation of EMG using multi-channel independent stimulation of small groups of motor units", Motor Control, 5 (1), 61, 2001.
- F.H.Y. Chan, Y.S. Yang, F.K. Lam, Y. T. Zhang, and P.A. Parker, "Fuzzy EMG Classification for Prosthesis Control", IEEE Trans. Rehab. Eng., vol. 8, pp. 305-311, 2000.
- W.K. Ma, Y. T. Zhang, and F.S. Yang, "A Fast Recursive-Least-Squares Adaptive Notch Filter and its Applications to Biomedical Signals", Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, vol. 37, no.1, 1999.
- W.K. Ma and Y. T. Zhang, "Estimation of Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions", IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 46, no.10, pp1261-1264, 1999.
- L. Zheng, Y. T. Zhang, F.S. Yang, and D. Ye, "Synthesis and Decomposition of Transient Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions Based on an Active Auditory Model", IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1098-1106, 1999.
- W. Herzog, J. Sokolosky, Y. T. Zhang, and A.C.S. Guimaraes, "EMG-force Relation in Dynamiclly Contracting Cat Palntaris Muscle", J. of Electromyogr. Kinesiol.,vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 147-155, 1998.
- M. Vaz, W. Herzog, Y. T. Zhang, T.R. Leonard, and H. Nguyen, "The Effect of Muscle Length on Eletrically Elicited Muscle Vibrations in the In-situ Cat Soleus Muscle", J. of Electromyogr. Kinesiol., vol. 7, no. 2, pp.113-121, 1997.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.B. Frank, R.M. Rangayyan, and G.D. Bell, "Relationships of the VMG to the Surface EMG of the Human Rectus Femoris", J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 395-403, 1996.
- M.A. Vaz, W. Herzog, Y. T. Zhang, T.R. Leonard, and H. Nguyen, "Mechanism of Electrically Elicited Muscle Vibrations in the In-Situ Cat Soleus Muscle", Muscle & Nerve, vol. 19, pp. 774-776, 1996.
- M.A. Vaz, Y. T. Zhang, W. Herzog, and A.C.S. Guimaraes, "The Behavior of Rectus Femoris and Vastus Lateralis during Fatigue and Recovery: An Electromyographic and Vibromyographic Study", Electromyography and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol. 36, pp. 221-230, 1996.
- A. Guimaraes, W. Herzog, T. Allinger, and Y. T. Zhang, "EMG-force Relation of the Cat Soleus Muscle and Its Association with Contractile Conditions during Locomotion", J. of Experimental Biology, vol. 198, no. 4, pp. 975-987, 1995.
- Y.T. Zhang, R.M. Rangayyan, "Adaptive cancellation of muscle contraction interference in vibroarthrographic signals", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 41 (2), 181-191, 1994.
- A.C. Guimaraes, W. Herzog, M. Hulliger, Y.T. Zhang, S. Day, "EMG-force relationship of the cat soleus muscle studied with distributed and non-periodic stimulation of ventral root filaments", Journal of experimental biology, 186 (1), 75-93, 1994.
- W. Herzog, Y.T. Zhang, M.A. Vaz, A. Guimaraes, C. Janssen, "Assessment of muscular fatigue using vibromyography", Muscle & nerve, 17 (10), 1156-1161, 1994.
- J. Gal, W. Herzog, G. Kawchuk, P. Conway, Y.T. Zhang, "Measurements of vertebral movements in unembalmed human cadavers using bone pins, surface markers and accelerometers", Journal of Biomechanics, 27 (6), 799, 1994.
- S. Tavathia, R.M. Rangayyan, C.B. Frank, G.D. Bell, K.O. Ladly, and Y. T. Zhang, "Analysis of Knee Vibration Signals Using Linear Prediction", IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-39, no. 9, pp. 959-970, 1992.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.B. Frank, R.M. Rangayyan, and G.D. Bell, "Mathematical Modeling and Spectrum Analysis of The Physiological Patello-Femoral Pulse Train Produced by Slow Knee Movement", IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-39, no. 9, pp. 971-979, 1992.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.B. Frank, R.M. Rangayyan, and G.D. Bell, "A Comparative Study of Vibromyography and Electromyography Obtained Simultaneously from Active Human Quadriceps", IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-39, no. 10, pp. 1045-1052, 1992.
- Y. T. Zhang, P.A. Parker and R.N. Scott, "Control Performance Characteristics of Myoelectric Signal with Additive Interference", Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, vol. 29, pp. 84-88, 1991.
- Y. T. Zhang, P.A. Parker, and R. N. Scott, "A Study of the Effects of Motor Unit Recruitment and Firing Statistics on the Signal to Noise Ratio of Myoelectric Control Channel", Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 225-231, 1990.
- Z.S. Pan, Y. T. Zhang, and P.A. Parker, "Motor Unit Power Spectrum and Firing Rate", Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 14-18, 1989.
Last modified on 3 July, 2018