Prof. Yuan-Ting Zhang is currently the Chair Professor of Biomedical Engineering at
Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, City University of Hong
Kong. He was the founding Director of the Key Lab for Health Informatics of
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), and the founding Director of the CAS-SIAT
Institute of Biomedical and Health Engineering. Professor Zhang dedicated his
service to the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) from 1994 to 2015 in the
Department of Electronic Engineering. He was the founding Director of the Joint
Research Center for Biomedical Engineering and the first Head of the Division of
Biomedical Engineering at the CUHK, where he led the efforts in developing and
launching three education programmes (BEng, MSc and MPhil/PhD) all in
biomedical engineering. He was the Sensing System Architect in Sensing Hardware
and Health Technology at Apple Inc., Cupertino in California, USA. Before joining
the CUHK, he was a Research Associate and Adjunct Assistant Professor between
1989 and 1994 at University of Calgary, Canada. He started his academic career at
Department of Electronics from Shandong University, China in 1976.
Prof. Zhang serves currently as the Editor-in-Chief for IEEE Reviews in Biomedical
Engineering, Chair of 2018 Gordon Research Conference on Advanced Health
Informatics, Chair of the Working Group for the development of IEEE Standard on
Wearable Cuffless Blood Pressure Measuring Devices (IEEE 1708), Chair of
2016-2018 IEEE Award Committee in Biomedical Engineering, and a Member of the
Fellow Membership Committee and Award Committee of the International Academy
of Medical and Biological Engineering (IAMBE). Prof. Zhang was the Editor-in-
Chief for IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine and the
founding Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.
He served as Vice Preside of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society
(EMBS), Technical Program Chair of the 20th IEEE-EMBS Annual Conference
(EMBC’1998) in Hong Kong, General Conference Chair of EMBC’2005 in Shanghai,
International Committee co-Chair of EMBC’2007 in Lyon, International Committee
Chair of EMBC’11 in Boston, International Committee Chair of EMBC’13 in Osaka
and Technical Program Co-Chair of EMBC’2017 in Korea. He is a co-founder (with
Professor John Webster) of the IEEE EMBS International Summer School and
Symposium on Biosensors and Medical Devices (ISSS-MDBS). He served as a
member of Advisory Board and Scientific Committee at POSTECH in Korea, Adjunct
Chair of Department of Biomedical Engineering at Sun Yat-sen University in
Guangzhou, and a member of Scientific Committee of the National Key Lab for
Bioelectronics at Southeast University in Nanjing, China.
Prof. Zhang's research interests include cardiovascular health informatics, unobtrusive
sensing and wearable devices, BSN/BAN security, neural muscular modeling and
pHealth technologies. Prof. Zhang was the Chief Scientist for a National “973”
Project on multi-modality sensing and imaging of plaques in vascular systems
founded by the Ministry Of Science and Technology (MOST) of China, a Coordinator
of the CAS-FEB Innovation Team for developing multi-modality and high resolution
medical imaging, and an Investigator/Co-PI in several international research
collaboration projects including European Union FP7 “HeartCycle” project led by
Philips Research. He served on grant reviewing panels/committees of more than 10
different countries/regions including Wellcome Trust in UK, NIH in USA, NSERC in
Canada, ITC in Hong Kong SAR, NSFC in China, MOST of Israel, MOST of India,
a National Founding Agency in Netherland, etc. He was frequently invited to speak at
academic, healthcare and industrial conferences all over the world on topics related to
cardiovascular health informatics, unobtrusive sensing and wearable technologies. He
was selected on the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 lists of China’s Most Cited
Researchers by Elsevier. He won a number of international awards including IEEEEMBS
best journal paper awards, IEEE-EMBS Outstanding Service Award, IEEE-SA
2014 Emerging Technology Award, IEEE-SA award for contributions to standard
development, IEEE Greece Chapter Award for recognizing his contributions to
biomedical and health informatics, and the Grand Award on e-Health from Asia
Pacific ICT Alliance in Melbourne. Prof. Zhang is elected to be IAMBE Fellow, IEEE
Fellow and AIMBE Fellow for his contributions to the development of wearable and
Professor Zhang completed his undergraduate studies in 1976 and Master degree in
1981 both in Shandong University, and received his PhD degree in Electrical &
Computer Engineering in 1990 from University of New Brunswick, Fredericton,
- NQ Luo, J Zhang, XR Ding, Z Zhou, Q Zhang, YT Zhang, SC Chen, JL Hu, …,
"Textile‐Enabled Highly Reproducible Flexible Pressure Sensors for Cardiovascular
Monitoring", Advanced Materials Technologies 3 (1), 2018.
- X Ding, BP Yan, YT Zhang, J Liu, N Zhao, and HK Tsang, "Pulse Transit Time Based
Continuous Cuffless Blood Pressure Estimation: A New Extension and A
Comprehensive Evaluation", Scientific Reports, 14 September 2017.
- XR Ding, N Zhao, GZ Yang, RI Pettigrew, B Lo, F Miao, Y Li, J Liu, and YT Zhang,
"Continuous Blood Pressure Measurement From Invasive to Unobtrusive: Celebration
of 200th Birth Anniversary of Carl Ludwig", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health
Informatics 20 (6), 1455-1465, 2016.
- J Liu, BPY Yan, WX Dai, XR Ding, YT Zhang, and N Zhao, "Multi-wavelength
Photoplethysmography Method for Skin Arterial Pulse Extraction", Biomedical
Optics Express 7 (10), 4313-4326, 2016
- XR Ding, YT Zhang, J Liu, WX Dai, and HK Tsang, "Continuous Cuffless Blood
Pressure Estimation Using Pulse Transit Time and Photoplethysmogram Intensity
Ratio", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 63 (5), 964-972, 2016.
- NQ Luo, W Dai, C Li, Z Zhou, L Lu, CCY Poon, SC Chen, Y Zhang, N Zhao,
"Flexible Piezoresistive Sensor Patch Enabling Ultralow Power Cuffless Blood
Pressure Measurement", Advanced Functional Materials 26 (8), 1178-1187, 2016.
- YL Zheng, P Yan, YT Zhang and CY Poon., "Noninvasive Characterization of
Vascular Tone by ModelBased System Identification in Healthy and Heart Failure
Patients", Annals of Biomedical Engineering, doi:10.1007/s10439-015-1266-y, 2015.
- Q Liu, P Yan, CM Yu, YT Zhang and CY Poon, "Attenuation of Systolic Blood
Pressure and Pulse Transit Time Hysteresis During Exercise and Recovery in
Cardiovascular Patients", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol.61,
issue.2, pp.346-352, Feb. 2014.
- YL Zheng, P Yan, YT Zhang and CY Poon, "An armband wearable device for
overnight and cuff-less blood pressure measurement", IEEE Transactions on
Biomedical Engineering, vol.61,issue.7, pp. 2179-2186, April 2014.
- Y.L. Zheng, X.R. Ding, C.Y. Poon, P.L. Lo, H.Y. Zhang, X.L. Zhou, G.Z. Yang, N.
Zhao and Y.T. Zhang, "Unobtrusive Sensing and Wearable Devices for health
informatics", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol.61, issue.5 pp.
1538-1554, May 2014.
- Y.T. Zhang, C.Y. POON and E. Macpherson, "An Inaugural Message for the IEEE
Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and
Health Informatics, vol.17, pp.3, 2013.
- Y.T. Zhang and C.Y. POON, "Health Informatics: Unobtrusive Physiological
Measurement Technologies", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics,
vol.17, no.5, pp.893, 2013.
- MR Neuman, GD Baura, S.Meldrum, O Soykan, ME Valentinuzzi, RS Leder,
S.Micera, and YT Zhang, "Advances in Medical Devices and Medical Electronics",
Proceedings of the IEEE, 100th Anniversary Issue, May, 100: 1537- 1550 ,2012.
- R. S. H. Istepanaian, and Y. T. Zhang, "Guest Editorial Introduction to the Special
Section: 4G Health—The Long-Term Evolution of m-Health", IEEE Transactions on
Information Technology in Biomedicine, 16(1), pp.1-5, Jan. 2012.
- M.Y.M. Wong, E. Pickwell-MacPherson, Y. T. Zhang, J.C.Y Cheng, "The effects of
pre-ejection period on post-exercise systolic blood pressure estimation using the pulse
arrival time technique", European Journal of Applied Physiology, 111: 135-144,2011.
- Y. Li, C.C.Y. Poon and Y. T. Zhang, "Analog integrated Circuits Design for
Processing Physiological Signals", IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol.3,
- L. Wang, C.C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "The Non-Invasive and Continuous
Estimation of Cardiac Output Using Photoplethysmogram and Electrocardiogram
during Incremental Exercise", Physiological Measurement, vol. 31, pp. 715-726,
- A.K.Y. Wong, K.N. Leung, K.P. Pun, and Y. T. Zhang, "A 0.5Hz Highpass Cutoff
Dual-Loop Transimpedance Amplifier for Wearable Nir Sensing Device", IEEE
Trans. Circuit and Systems Ⅱ, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 531-535, 2010.
- Y. Li, A.K.Y. Wong, and Y. T. Zhang, "A Fully-Integrated Transimpedance Amplifier
for Photoplethysmographic Signal Processing with Two-Stage Miller Capacitance
Multiplier", Electronics Letters, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 745-746, 2010.
- Y. T. Zhang and C.C.Y. Poon, "Editorial Note on the Processing, Storage,
Transmission, Acquisition, and Retrieval (P-STAR) of Bio, Medical, and Health
Information", IEEE Trans. Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp.
- R.F. Yan, C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "Evaluation Scale to Assess The Accuracy of
Cuff-Less Blood Pressure Measuring Devices", Blood Pressure Monitoring, vol. 14,
no. 6, pp. 257-267, 2009.
- E. Jovanov, C.Y. Poon, G.Z. Yang, and Y. T. Zhang, "Guest Editorial Body Sensor
Networks: from Theory to Emerging Applications", IEEE Trans. Information
Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 859-863, 2009.
- M.Y.M. Wong, C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "An Evaluation of the Cuffless Blood
Pressure Estimation Based on Pulse Transit Time Technique: a Half Year Study on
Normotensive Subjects", Cardiovasc. Eng., vol. 9, pp. 32-38, 2009.
- S.Y. Huang, Y.X.J. Wang, D.K.W. Yeung, A.T. Ahuja, Y. T. Zhang, and E. PickwellMacPherson,
"Tissue Characterization Using Terahertz Pulsed Imaging In Reflection
Geometry", Phys. Med. Biol., vol. 54, pp. 149-160, 2009.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.C.Y. Poon, and E. MacPherson, "Editorial Note on Health
Informatics", IEEE Trans. Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp.
- S. Huang, P.C. Ashworth, K.W. Kan, Y. Chen, V.P. Wallace, Y.T. Zhang, E. Pickwell-
MacPherson, "Improved sample characterization in terahertz reflection imaging and
spectroscopy", Opt. Express, 17 (5), pp.3848-3854,2009.
- M.Y.M. Wong, E. Pickwell-MacPherson, Y.T. Zhang, "The acute effects of running on
blood pressure estimation using pulse transit time in normotensive subjects",
European journal of applied physiology, 107 (2), pp.169-175, 2009.
- Y.S. Yan and Y.T. Zhang, "An efficient motion-resistant method for wearable pulse
oximeter", IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, 12 (3), pp.
- C.Y. Poon and Y. T. Zhang, "Perspectives on High Technologies for Low-Cost
Healthcare – the Chinese Scenario", IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology
Magazine, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 42-47, 2008.
- E. Pickwell-MacPherson, S.Y. Huang, K.W.C. Kan, Y.W. Sun, and Y. T. Zhang,
"Recent Developments of Terahertz Technology in Biomedicine", Journal of
Innovation in Optical Health Science, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29-44, 2008.
- S.D. Bao, C.Y. Poon, Y. T. Zhang, and L.F. Shen, "Using the Timing Information of
Heartbeats as an Entity Identifier to Secure Body Sensor Networks", IEEE Trans.
Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 12, no.6, pp. 772-779, 2008.
- F. Chen and Y. T. Zhang, "A Novel Temporal Fine Structure-Based Speech Synthesis
Model for Cochlear Implant", Signal Processing, vol.88, no.11, pp.2693-2699, 2008.
- X.F. Teng, Y. T. Zhang, C.C.Y. Poon, and P. Bonato, "Wearable Medical Systems for
p-Health", IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol.1, pp. 62-74, 2008.
- X.Y. Zhang and Y. T. Zhang, "Relations between the Timing of the Second Heart
Sound and Aortic Blood Pressure", IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., vol.55, no.4, pp.
- Y. T. Zhang, "A Note From the Incoming Editor-in-Chief", IEEE Transactions on
Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 12, pp. 5-6, 2008.
- X.F. Teng and Y. T. Zhang, "Theoretical Study on the Effects of Sensor Contacting
Force on Pulse Transit Time", IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., vol. 54, pp. 1490-1498,
- F. Chen and Y. T. Zhang, "An Integrated-And-Fire Based Auditory Nerve Model and
Its Responseto HighRate Pulse Train", Neurocomputing, vol. 70, no. 4-6, pp.
- X.F. Teng and Y. T. Zhang, "The Effect of Applied Sensor Contact Force on Pulse
Transit Time", Physiological Measurement, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 675-684, 2006.
- X.Y. Zhang and Y. T. Zhang, "The Effects of Local Mild Cold Exposure on Pulse
Transit Time", Physiological Measurement, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 649-660, 2006.
- F. Chen and Y. T. Zhang, "A new Implementation of Discrete Bionic Wavelet
Transform: Adaptive Tiling", Digital Signal Processing, vol.16, no. 3, pp. 233-246,
- C.Y. Poon, Y.T. Zhang, and S.D. Bao, "A Novel Biometrics Method to Secure
Wireless Body Area Sensor Networks for Telemedicine and m-Health", IEEE
Communications Magazine, 44 (4), 73-81, 2006.
- Y.S. Yan, C.C.Y. Poon, and Y. T. Zhang, "Reduction of Motion Artifact in Pulse
Oximetry by Smoothed Pseudo Wigner-Ville Distribution", J. of NeuroEngineering
and Rehabilitation, vol. 2, no. 3, 2005.
- A. Wong, K.P. Pun, Y. T. Zhang and K. Hung, "A Near-Infrared Heart Rate
Measurement IC with Very Low Cutoff Frequency Using Current Steering
Technique", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, vol. 52, pp. 2642-2646, 2005.
- W.W. Lam, L.H. Chu, C.L. Wong, and Y. T. Zhang, "A Surface Plasmon Resonance
System for the Measurement of Glucose in Aqueous Solution", Sensors and Actuators
B, vol. 105, pp. 138-143, 2005.
- R. Istepanian, E. Jovanov, and Y. T. Zhang, "Introduction to the Special Section on MHealth:
Beyond Seamless Mobility and Global Wireless Health-Care Connectivity",
IEEE Trans. Inf. Technol. Biomed., vol. 8, pp. 405-414, 2004.
- X.F. Teng and Y. T. Zhang, "The Effect of Contacting Force on
Photoplethysmographic Signals", Physiological Measurement, vol. 25, pp.
- K. Hung and Y. T. Zhang, "Implementation of A WAP-Based Telemedicine System for
Patient Monitoring", IEEE Trans. Inf. Technol. Biomed., vol. 7, pp.101-107, 2003.
- X.Y. Zhang, F. Chen, Y. T. Zhang, S.C. Agner, M. Akay, Z.H. Lu, M.M. Waye, and
S.K.W. Tsui, "Signal Processing Techniques in Genomic Engineering", Proc. IEEE,
vol. 90, pp.1822-1833, 2002.
- J. Yao and Y. T. Zhang, "Bionic Wavelet Transform: a New Time-Frequency Method
Based on an Auditory Model", IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., vol. 48, pp. 856-863, 2001.
M. Hulliger, S.J. Day, A. Guimares, W. Herzog and Y.T. Zhang, "A new method for
experimental simulation of EMG using multi-channel independent stimulation of
small groups of motor units", Motor Control, 5 (1), 61, 2001.
- F.H.Y. Chan, Y.S. Yang, F.K. Lam, Y. T. Zhang, and P.A. Parker, "Fuzzy EMG
Classification for Prosthesis Control", IEEE Trans. Rehab. Eng., vol. 8, pp. 305-311,
- W.K. Ma, Y. T. Zhang, and F.S. Yang, "A Fast Recursive-Least-Squares Adaptive
Notch Filter and its Applications to Biomedical Signals", Medical & Biological
Engineering & Computing, vol. 37, no.1, 1999.
- W.K. Ma and Y. T. Zhang, "Estimation of Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions",
IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 46, no.10, pp1261-1264, 1999.
- L. Zheng, Y. T. Zhang, F.S. Yang, and D. Ye, "Synthesis and Decomposition of
Transient Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions Based on an Active Auditory Model", IEEE
Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1098-1106, 1999.
- W. Herzog, J. Sokolosky, Y. T. Zhang, and A.C.S. Guimaraes, "EMG-force Relation
in Dynamiclly Contracting Cat Palntaris Muscle", J. of Electromyogr. Kinesiol.,vol. 8,
no. 3, pp. 147-155, 1998.
- M. Vaz, W. Herzog, Y. T. Zhang, T.R. Leonard, and H. Nguyen, "The Effect of Muscle
Length on Eletrically Elicited Muscle Vibrations in the In-situ Cat Soleus Muscle", J.
of Electromyogr. Kinesiol., vol. 7, no. 2, pp.113-121, 1997.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.B. Frank, R.M. Rangayyan, and G.D. Bell, "Relationships of the VMG
to the Surface EMG of the Human Rectus Femoris", J. of Rehabilitation Research and
Development, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 395-403, 1996.
- M.A. Vaz, W. Herzog, Y. T. Zhang, T.R. Leonard, and H. Nguyen, "Mechanism of
Electrically Elicited Muscle Vibrations in the In-Situ Cat Soleus Muscle", Muscle &
Nerve, vol. 19, pp. 774-776, 1996.
- M.A. Vaz, Y. T. Zhang, W. Herzog, and A.C.S. Guimaraes, "The Behavior of Rectus
Femoris and Vastus Lateralis during Fatigue and Recovery: An Electromyographic
and Vibromyographic Study", Electromyography and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol.
36, pp. 221-230, 1996.
- A. Guimaraes, W. Herzog, T. Allinger, and Y. T. Zhang, "EMG-force Relation of the
Cat Soleus Muscle and Its Association with Contractile Conditions during
Locomotion", J. of Experimental Biology, vol. 198, no. 4, pp. 975-987, 1995.
- Y.T. Zhang, R.M. Rangayyan, "Adaptive cancellation of muscle contraction
interference in vibroarthrographic signals", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical
Engineering, 41 (2), 181-191, 1994.
- A.C. Guimaraes, W. Herzog, M. Hulliger, Y.T. Zhang, S. Day, "EMG-force
relationship of the cat soleus muscle studied with distributed and non-periodic
stimulation of ventral root filaments", Journal of experimental biology, 186 (1),
- W. Herzog, Y.T. Zhang, M.A. Vaz, A. Guimaraes, C. Janssen, "Assessment of
muscular fatigue using vibromyography", Muscle & nerve, 17 (10), 1156-1161, 1994.
- J. Gal, W. Herzog, G. Kawchuk, P. Conway, Y.T. Zhang, "Measurements of vertebral
movements in unembalmed human cadavers using bone pins, surface markers and
accelerometers", Journal of Biomechanics, 27 (6), 799, 1994.
- S. Tavathia, R.M. Rangayyan, C.B. Frank, G.D. Bell, K.O. Ladly, and Y. T. Zhang,
"Analysis of Knee Vibration Signals Using Linear Prediction", IEEE Trans. on
Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-39, no. 9, pp. 959-970, 1992.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.B. Frank, R.M. Rangayyan, and G.D. Bell, "Mathematical Modeling
and Spectrum Analysis of The Physiological Patello-Femoral Pulse Train Produced by
Slow Knee Movement", IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-39, no.
9, pp. 971-979, 1992.
- Y. T. Zhang, C.B. Frank, R.M. Rangayyan, and G.D. Bell, "A Comparative Study of
Vibromyography and Electromyography Obtained Simultaneously from Active
Human Quadriceps", IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. BME-39, no. 10,
pp. 1045-1052, 1992.
- Y. T. Zhang, P.A. Parker and R.N. Scott, "Control Performance Characteristics of
Myoelectric Signal with Additive Interference", Medical & Biological Engineering &
Computing, vol. 29, pp. 84-88, 1991.
- Y. T. Zhang, P.A. Parker, and R. N. Scott, "A Study of the Effects of Motor Unit
Recruitment and Firing Statistics on the Signal to Noise Ratio of Myoelectric Control
Channel", Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, vol. 28, no. 3, pp.
- Z.S. Pan, Y. T. Zhang, and P.A. Parker, "Motor Unit Power Spectrum and Firing
Rate", Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 14-18,
Last modified on 3 July, 2018