BA (Asian Studies) ANU, BA (Joint 1st Hons) UQ, PhD UTas
Associate Professor; Research Degree Coordinator
Chinese Foreign Policy
Health Security in Asia
AIS5021 Asian Regional Governance
AIS5031 Asian Security
AIS4123 International Security
Recent Research Projects
Asian Diseases in International Affairs
China's Subnational Relations
Selected Publications and Grants (since 2015)
- Thomas N & Qin, P. 2021. Threats or Opportunities? Chinese Proto-Elite Perceptions of their Regional Neighbours. Journal of Contemporary Asia. DOI: 10.1080/00472336.2020.1866649.
- Thomas, N. 2020. Lessons from the Virtual Front: Tertiary Education in Hong Kong. The CEA Critic. 82(3): 297-300.
- Thomas N, Holland M, and Sliwinski, K. 2020. Is Affective Effective? Measuring Affective Learning in Simulations. International Studies Perspectives. https://doi.org/10.1093/isp/ekaa005.
- Thomas N and Lo, C. 2020. The Macrosecuritization of Antimicrobial Resistance in China. Journal of Global Security Studies. 5(2): 361–378.
- Thomas, N and Kempston, T. 2019. Creating Simulations: Pseudo-Reality and Learning Environments. Journal of Political Science Education. Online: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15512169.2019.1616550.
- Thomas N and Lo, C. 2018. Macrosecuritization of Anti-Microbial Resistance in Asia. The Australian Journal of International Affairs. 72(6): 567-583.
- Thomas N & Qin, P. 2017. Chinese Nationalism and Trust in East Asia. Journal of Contemporary Asia 47(5): 815-838.
- Thomas N & Williams, B. 2016. Taiwan’s Fragmented Relations with Japan: Subnational Government Perspectives. Journal of Contemporary Asia 47(1): 116-141.
- Thomas N. 2015. The Economics of Power Transitions: Australia between China and the United States. Journal of Contemporary China 24(95), pp. 846-864.
- Thomas N. (2019). From Friendship to Fear? Australia–China relations, 1950s–2000s. China in Australasia: Cultural Diplomacy and the Collecting, Performance and Display of Chinese Arts since the Cold War (Eds.) James Beattie, Richard Bullen, and Maria Galikowski. London: Routledge, pp 29-45.
- Thomas N. 2017. Australia and China in the 1970s. China in the Long 1970s. In (Eds.) Arne Odd Westad and Priscilla Roberts. London: Palgrave, pp. 205-232.
- Thomas N. (2015). Resourcing Sino-Australian Relations. Sino-US Energy Triangles: Resource Diplomacy Under Hegemony (Eds.) David Zweig and Hao Yufan. London: Routledge, pp. 92-110.
- Research Grants Council, General Research Fund (GRF) Grant, 2021-2024, Unhealthy Populism: COVID-19 in Southeast Asia, Co-Investigator, $1,200,155
- Strategic Research Grant (School of Law), 2021-2023, Indian Vaccine Nationalism: Implications for Eastphalian Approaches, Co-Investigator, $96,500
- Research Grants Council, General Research Fund (GRF) Grant, 2020-2023, The Role of Cities and Provinces in China’s regional relations, Principal Investigator, $995,642
- CityU Teaching Excellence Award grant, DEC Beyond the Fourth Wall, 2017-2019, Principal Investigator, $150,000