Bachelor of Law (Sun Yat-sen University)
Master of Law (Sun Yat-sen University)
M.Phil, PhD (Anthropology, Yale University)
Assistant Professor; Library Liaison Officer
Social Transformation and Urban Development
Mobility and Class Politics
Infrastructure and Spatial Politics
Science, Technology and Society in Asia
Listen to the podcast of my recent book: https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/9781501738401/driving-toward-modernity/
Project Planning & Management for Development
Comparative Development in Asia
Special Topics in Asian Studies
Problem-Based Studies of Selected Asian Societies and Region I
Environment and Society in Asia
Asia in the World: A Critical Appreciation Through Film
Recent Research Projects
The emerging philanthropic landscape in China (book manuscript in progress; with Dr. Gonçalo Santos);
Urban governance & infrastructural construction in Republican China (funded by the Early Career Scheme, RGC);
Medicalization of birth (with Dr. Gonçalo Santos; funded by the General Research Fund, RGC).
- 2019. Driving toward Modernity: Cars and Lives of the Middle Class in Contemporary China. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press (Interviewed by BBC "Thinking Allowed", https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000mzrw).
Journal articles and book chapters
- 2019. (with Danny Marks) "Circuits of Power: Environmental Injustice from Bangkok’s Shopping Malls to Laos’ Hydropower Dams." Asian Pacific Viewpoint 60 (3): 296-309.
- 2017. "Materializing a Form of Urban Governance: When Street Building Intersected with City Building in Republican Canton (Guangzhou), China." History and Technology 33 (2):153-174.
- 2017. "(Extended) Family Car, Filial Consumer-Citizens: Becoming Properly Middle Class in Post-Socialist South China." Modern China 43 (1): 36-65.
- 2016. "Taxis, Traffic, and Thoroughfares: The Politics of Transportation Infrastructure in China's Rapid Urbanization in the Reform Era." City & Society 28 (3): 411-436.
- 2015. "The Rise and Fall of Qilou: Metamorphosis of Forms and Meanings in the Built Environment of Guangzhou." Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Review 26(2): 25-40.
- 2014. (with Peidong Sun) "When Are You Going to Get Married?" Parental Matchmaking and Middle-class Women in Contemporary Urban China." Pp. 118-44 in Wives, Husbands, and Lovers: Marriage and Sexuality in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Urban China, edited by Deborah Davis and Sara Friedman. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.
Non-peer review articles
- 2020. “Is Mainland China the Source of all of Hong Kong's problems?” HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory 10 (2): 313-318.
- 2020. "Divided in a connected world: Reflections on COVID 19 from Hong Kong." City & Society. Early view available at: https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ciso.12264.
- 2020. "Review: Becoming one: religion, development and environmentalism in a Japanese NGO in Myanmar (by Chika Watanabe; University of Hawai’s Press, 2019)." Asian Studies Review. (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10357823.2020.1841598)
- 2016. "Review: Consumption in China: How China's New Consumer Ideology Is Shaping the Nation by LiAnne Yu Cambridge: PB - Polity, 2014. 176 pp." American Anthropologist 118 (3):702-703.
- 2014. "Review: The Middle Class in Neoliberal China: Governing Risk, Life-Building, and Themed Spaces (by Hai Ren; Routledge 2013)." Pacific Affairs 87(3).
- 2014. "Review: Chaiqian (Demolition) Directed by AU - J.P. Sniadecki, 2008, 62 minutes, color. Mandarin and Sichuanese with English subtitles. Sensory Ethnography Lab Series." Visual Anthropology Review 30(1): 74-75.
Selected Conference Papers & Talks
- 2019. “What is shared in Shared Bikes?: Mobility, Space, and Capital.” Ride-Hailing Workshop, Vancouver, Canada, November 24.
- 2019. (with Gonçalo Santos) “"Caring for the People, Caring like a State: The Politics and Ethics of Non-Governmental Philanthropic Practices in Contemporary China," November 20-24, The 118th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Vancouver, Canada.
- 2019. (with Gonçalo Santos). "Corruption, Ethics, and Philanthropy: The Case of Lions Clubs in South China." International Convention of Asia Scholars 11, July 16-19, Leiden, the Netherlands.
- 2018. (with Gonçalo Santos) "Digital Humanitarians: The Politics of Micro-charity in Contemporary China," at the 18th World Congress of International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, July 16-20, Florianópolis, Brazil.
- 2018. (with Gonçalo Santos) "From Agricultural Commodities to Domestic Waste Materials: Changing Infrastructures of Human Waste Management in Republican Canton," at AAS-in-Asia, July 6-8, New Delhi, India.
- 2017. “From Buildings to Streets: Qilou and the Politics of Heritage Preservation,” Division of Landscape Architecture, The University of Hong Kong.
- 2015. (Gonçalo Santos) with “‘I give, I’m happy, I mature’: The Making of Humanitarian Middle-class Subjectivities in Contemporary China,” in the Annual Conference of the Association for Asian Studies, Chicago.