The aim of the programme is to produce graduates with a broad knowledge base, advanced skills training and a contemporary set of professional abilities, values and attitudes that enable them to function competently and effectively as social workers in various human service organisations in Hong Kong.
- Evaluate and align personal values with the value base of the profession and its ethical standards and principles, and practice accordingly
- Understand the person-in-environment context of professional practice with critical analysis and assessment of interpersonal, bio-psycho-social, cultural, and environmental factors.
- Explain the use of comparative theories of working with individuals and family, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Use communication skills differentially across client populations, colleagues, and communities.
- Apply the knowledge and skills of generalist social work practice with systems of all sizes.
- Demonstrate skills to practice without discrimination and with respect, and knowledge related to clients’ characteristics, cultural beliefs, and contexts.
- Apply critical thinking skills within the context of professional social work practice.
- Describe the forms and mechanisms of oppression and discrimination, and apply strategies of advocacy and social change that advance social and economic justice.
- Conduct research studies, evaluate and apply research findings to practice, and evaluate their own practice with an aim to engage in evidence-based practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge, understanding and practice competence through reflections and the use of social work theories.
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity in social work practice.
|Advanced Standing I1
||Advanced Standing II2|
|Gateway Education requirement
||12 credit units|
||0 credit unit|
||48 credit units|
|Free electives / Minor (if applicable)
||0 credit unit|
|Minimum Graduation Requirement:
||60 credit units|
|Maximum Credit Units Permitted:
||84 credit units|
||For students with recognised Advanced Level Examinations or equivalent qualifications.|
||For Associate Degree/Higher Diploma graduates admitted as senior-year intake students.|