This course aims to give students the necessary competence in rhetoric and writing in English so that they can use the English language effectively to think, reason, argue and express themselves. Students will develop a sense of their own strengths and weaknesses as English writers and discover how they can make their writing more creative, innovative and persuasive. They will also learn skills in argumentation, debate and research, which they will be able to apply to their future academic work.
This course aims to develop students’ abilities to:
• read critically a variety of English texts relevant to their university studies and future careers;
• think and write creatively, logically, and critically;
• understand and engage in a variety of processes essential to the production of well-formed texts;
• communicate effectively in spoken and written English in a variety of academic settings; and
• be self-directed in their English language development.