Our Approach to Sustainability
Sustainability is the long-term maintenance of well-being for human civilisation and the rest of the biosphere. It’s about taking what we need to live now, without jeopardizing the potential for people in the future to meet their needs.
Universities have a unique role and special responsibility to:
- modeling good sustainability practices through operating their campuses with minimal resource consumption and waste.
- educate all members of the campus community on the nature of environmental, social and economic sustainability challenges.
- research solutions to sustainability challenges; and work with government, the private sector, NGOs and other community stakeholders on these challenges.
City University of Hong Kong is committed to this unique role and responsibility. Our approach is to integrate sustainability in our teaching, research and campus operations:
- Integrate sustainability into University education
- Explore sustainability challenges through research
- Minimize waste and promote resource conservation in our operations