Dr. Jon Lo received his PhD in Mathematics from University of California, Irvine in 2011. Before joining CityU in 2015, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow at Mathematical Biosciences Institute (MBI), the Ohio State University.
He is particularly interested in mathematical and computational analysis of biological systems. The main focus of his studies is robust cell polarization and biological pattern formation, and he is also interested in studying inflammatory diseases and cancer modeling. He has worked in collaboration with other faculty from different experimental laboratories. His results are supported by experimental data and closely related to different biological problems.
Awards and Achievements
- 2011 “Kovalevsky Award for Best Thesis” Department of Mathematics, UC Irvine.
- 2008 “Von Neumann Award for Outstanding Performance as a Graduate Student” Department of Mathematics, UC Irvine.
- 2006 “Euler Award for Outstanding Promise as a Graduate Student” Department of Mathematics, UC Irvine.
- Mathematical Study on Cell Polarization and Morphological Regulation, General Research Fund, HKRGC, 2017 - 2020, Wing-Cheong Lo (PI), Ching-Shan Chou (Co-I).
- Stochastic modeling of patterning and growth control in the development of multicellular organisms, Early Career Scheme, HKRGC, 2015 - 2018, Wing-Cheong Lo (PI).
- Liang, Qiantong. & Lo, Wing-Cheong. (2021). Analysis of Th1/Th2 response pattern with Treg cell inhibition and stochastic effect. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals.
- Liu, Y. & Lo, W.-C. (2021). Deterministic and stochastic analysis for different types of regulations in the spontaneous emergence of cell polarity. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals. 144. 110620 .
- Chan, Tsz-Lik. , Yuan, Hsiang-Yu. & Lo, Wing-Cheong. (2021). Modeling COVID-19 transmission dynamics with self-learning population behavioral change. Frontiers in Public Health.
- Liu, Y. , Magouras, I. & Lo, W.-C. (2021). Modelling and analyzing the potential controls for Neospora caninum infection in dairy cattle using an epidemic approach. Accepted by Complexity.
- Liu, Y. & Lo, W.-C. (2021). Stability analysis and optimal control of production-limiting disease in farm with two vaccines. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems-B. doi:10.3934/dcdsb.2021058
- Mu, Y. & Lo, W.-C. (2021). Stochastic dynamics of populations with refuge in polluted turbidostat. Accepted by Chaos, Solitons and Fractals.
- Liu, Y. , Reichel, M. P. & Lo, W.-C. (2020). Combined control evaluation for Neospora caninum infection in dairy: economic point of view coupled with population dynamic. Veterinary Parasitology. 277, 108967.
- Mu, Y. & Lo, W.-C. (2020). Dynamics of microorganism cultivation with delay and stochastic perturbation. Nonlinear Dynamics. 101(1). 501 - 519.
- Wang, Y. , Lo, W.-C. & Chou, C.-S. (2020). Modeling stem cell aging: a multi-compartment continuum approach. Royal Society Open Science. 7191848.
- Lo, W.-C. & Mao, S. (2019). A hybrid stochastic method with adaptive time step control for reaction-diffusion systems. Journal of Computational Physics. 379. 392 - 402.
- Liu, Y. & Lo, W.-C. (2019). Analysis of spontaneous emergence of cell polarity with delayed negative feedback. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering. 16(3). 1392 - 1413.
- Miller, K. E. , Lo, W.-C. , Chou, C.-S. & Park, H.-O. (2019). Temporal regulation of cell polarity via the interaction of the Ras GTPase Rsr1 and the scaffold protein Bem1. Molecular Biology of the Cell. 30(20). 2543 - 2557.
- He, D. , Wang, Q. & Lo, W.-C. (2018). Mathematical analysis of macrophage-bacteria interaction in tuberculosis infection. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems-B. 23(8). 3387 - 3413.
- Wang, Y. , Lo, W.-C. & Chou, C.-S. (2017). A modeling study of budding yeast colony formation and its relationship to budding pattern and aging. PLoS Computational Biology. 13(11):e1005843.
- Miller, K. E. , Lo, W-C. , Lee, M. E. , Kang, P. J. & Park, H.-O. (2017). Fine-tuning the orientation of the polarity axis by Rga1, a Cdc42 GTPase activating protein. Molecular Biology of the Cell. 28. 3773 - 3788.
- Lo, W.-C. , Arsenescu, V. , Arsenescu, R. & Friedman, A. (2016). Inflammatory Bowel Disease: How Effective Is TNF-α Suppression?. PLoS ONE. 11(11), e0165782.
- Lei, J. , Lo, W.-C. & Nie, Q. (2016). Mathematical Models of Morphogen Dynamics and Growth Control. Annals of Mathematical Sciences and Applications. 1(2). 427 - 471.
- Lee, M. E. , Lo, W.-C. , Miller, K. E. , Chou, C.-S. & Park, H.-O. (2015). Regulation of Cdc42 Polarization by the Rsr1 GTPase and Rga1, a Cdc42 GTPase Activating Protein, in Budding Yeast. Journal of Cell Science. 128. 2106 - 2117. doi:10.1242/jcs.166538
- Lo, W.-C. , Zhou, S. , Lander, A. D. , Wan, F. Y.-M. & Nie, Q. (2015). Robust and Precise Morphogen-mediated Patterning: Trade-offs, Constraints and Mechanisms. Journal of Royal Society Interface. 12. 20141041 doi:10.1098/rsif.2014.1041
- Lo, W.-C. , Park, H.-O. & Chou, C.-S. (2014). Mathematical Analysis of Spontaneous Emergence of Cell Polarity. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology. 76. 1835 - 65. doi:10.1007/s11538-014-9982-2
- Lo, W.-C. (2014). Morphogen Gradient with Expansion-Repression Mechanism: Steady-State and Robustness Studies. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems-B. 19. 775 - 787.
- Lo, W.-C. , Martin, E. W. , Hitchcock, C. L. & Friedman, A. (2013). Mathematical Model of Colitis-associated Colon Cancer. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 317. 20 - 29.
- Lo, W.-C. , Arsenscu, R. I. & Friedman, A. (2013). Mathematical Model of the Roles of T Cells in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology. 75. 1417 - 33.
- Lo, W.-C. , Lee, M. E. , Narayan, M. , Chou, C.-S. & Park, H.-O. (2013). Polarization of Diploid Daughter Cells Directed by Spatial Cues and GTP Hydrolysis of Cdc42 in Budding Yeast. PLoS ONE. 8(2):e56665.
- Lo, W.-C. , Chen, L. , Wang, M. & Nie, Q. (2012). A Robust and Efficient Method for Steady State Patterns in Reaction-Diffusion Systems. Journal of Computational Physics. 231. 5062 - 5077.
- Zhou, S. , Lo, W.-C. , Suhalim, J. , Digman, M. A. , Gratton, Enrico. , Nie, Q. & Lander, A. D. (2012). Free Extracellular Diffusion Creates the Dpp Morphogen Gradient of the Drosophila Wing Disc. Current Biology. 22. 668 - 675.
- Chou, C.-S. , Lo, W.-C. , Zhang, Y.-T. , Gokoffski, K. K. , Wan, F. Y. M. , Lander, A. D. , Calof, A. L. & Nie, Q. (2010). Spatial Dynamics of Stem Cells and Multi-stage Cell Lineages in Tissue Stratification. Biophysical Journal. 99. 3145 - 54.
- Lo, W.-C. , Chou, C.-S. , Gokoffski, K. K. , Wan, F. Y. M. , Lander, A. D. , Calof, A. L. & Nie, Q. (2009). Feedback Regulation in Multistage Cell Lineages. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering. 6. 59 - 82.
- Lander, A. D. , Lo, W.-C. , Nie, Q. & Wan, F. Y. M. (2009). The Measure of Success: Constraints, Objectives, and Tradeoffs in Morphogen-mediated Patterning. CSH Perspectives in Biology. a002022.
Last update date :
18 Jul 2022