Jun Wang is a Chair Professor of Computational Intelligence in the Department of Computer Science and School of Data Science at City University of Hong Kong. Prior to this position, he held various academic positions at Dalian University of Technology, Case Western Reserve University, University of North Dakota, and Chinese University of Hong Kong. He also held various part-time visiting positions at US Air Force Armstrong Laboratory, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Dalian University of Technology, and Shanghai Jiao Tong University as a Changjiang Chair Professor. He received a B.S. degree in electrical engineering and an M.S. degree in systems engineering from Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China. He received his Ph.D. degree in systems engineering from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA. His current research interests include neural networks and their applications. He published more than 260 journal papers, 15 book chapters, 11 edited books, and numerous conference papers in these areas. He was the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics. He also served as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (1999-2009), IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics and its predecessor (2003-2013), and IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part C (2002–2005), as a member of the editorial advisory board of International Journal of Neural Systems (2006-2013), and a member of the editorial board of Neural Networks (2012-2014) as a guest editor of special issues of European Journal of Operational Research (1996), International Journal of Neural Systems (2007), Neurocomputing (2008, 2014, 2016), and International Journal of Fuzzy Systems (2010, 2011). He was an organizer of several international conferences such as the General Chair of the 13th International Conference on Neural Information Processing (2006) and the 2008 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, and a Program Chair of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (2012). He has been an IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Distinguished Lecturer (2010-2012, 2014-2016). In addition, he served as President of Asia Pacific Neural Network Assembly (APNNA) in 2006 and many organizations such as IEEE Fellow Committee (2011-2012); IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Awards Committee (2008, 2012, 2014), IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society Board of Governors (2013-2019), He is an IEEE Fellow, IAPR Fellow, a foreign member of Academia Europaea, and a recipient of an IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks Outstanding Paper Award and APNNA Outstanding Achievement Award in 2011, Natural Science Awards from Shanghai Municipal Government (2009) and Ministry of Education of China (2011), Neural Networks Pioneer Award from the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (2014), and Norbert Wiener Award from the IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society (2019), among others.
Awards and Achievements
- Jul 2014 “Neural Networks Pioneer Award” IEEE Computational Intelligence Society. The award recognizes significant contributions to early concepts and sustained developments in the field of neural networks. . [Award recipients]
- Nov 2011 “Outstanding Achievements Award” Asia Pacific Neural Network Assembly.
- Oct 2011 “Natural Science Award” Ministry of Education of China.
- Jul 2011 “IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks Outstanding Paper Award” IEEE Computational Intelligence Society. [Awards]
- Nov 2016 “Wu Wenjun Artificial Intelligence Science and Technology Achievement Award” Chinese Association for Artificial Intelligence.
- 1 Apr 2008 - 31 Mar 2011, Changjiang Chair Professor (part-time), Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- 1 Jan 2002 - 14 Jan 2016, Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 29 Aug 1995 - 31 Dec 2001, Associate Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 1 Apr 1993 - 28 Aug 1995, Associate Professor, University of North Dakota.
- 15 Aug 1990 - 31 Mar 1993, Assistant Professor, University of North Dakota.
- Intelligent mission planning and tracking control of autonomous surface vehicles based on neural computation, General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $632,421, 1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2021, Jun Wang (PI).
- Analysis and design of multiscale neurodynamic systems with their applications for robust control, data processing, and supervised learning, General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $582,000, 1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2020, Jun Wang (PI).
- Collaborative neurodynamic approaches to distributed optimization, global optimization and multi-objective optimization, Basic research, National Natural Science Foundation of China, Amount: CNY $620,000, 1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2020, J. Wang (PI), H.S. Wong (Co-I).
- Shen, Y. & Wang, J. (Sep 2016). Robustness of global exponential stability of nonlinear systems with random disturbances and time delays. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems. 46/9. 1157 - 1166. doi:10.1109/TSMC.2015.2497208
- Zeng, Z. , Le, X. & Wang, J. (Jul 2016). Tube-based robust model predictive control of nonlinear systems via collective neurodynamic optimization. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 63/7. 4377 - 4386. doi:10.1109/TIE.2016.2544718
- Liu, P. , Zeng, Z. & Wang, J. (Apr 2016). Multistability of recurrent neural networks with nonmonotonic activation functions and mixed time delays. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems. 46/4. 512 - 523. doi:10.1109/TSMC.2015.2461191
- Peng, Z. , Wang, D. & Wang, J. (Mar 2016). Cooperative dynamic positioning of multiple marine offshore vessels: a modular design. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 21/3. 1210 - 1221. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2015.2508647
- Liu, Q. & Wang, J. (Mar 2016). L₁-Minimization Algorithms for Sparse Signal Reconstruction Based on a Projection Neural Network. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems. 27/3. 698 - 707. doi:10.1109/TNNLS.2015.2481006
- Xia, Y. & Wang, J. (Feb 2016). A bi-projection neural network for solving constrained quadratic optimization problems. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems. 26/2. 214 - 224. doi:10.1109/TNNLS.2015.2500618
- 2014 - 2019, Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics. USA.
- 2013 - 2019, Member, Board of Governers, IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society. USA.
- 2012, Program Chair, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. Korea.
- 2011 - 2012, Member, IEEE Fellow Committee, IEEE. USA.
- 2008, General Chair, IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence. Hong Kong.
Last update date :
18 Sep 2021