Professor LOKE, Alexander F H
JSD, LLM (Columbia)
LLB (Hons) (NUS)
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
Adjunct Research Professor, Centre for Banking & Finance Law, National University of Singapore
- Contract law
- Comparative law of obligations
- Company law and corporate finance
- Banking law
- International finance
- International capital markets and securities regulation
- “Formation and Third Party Beneficiaries” (General Editor, together with Mindy Chen-Wishart and Stefan Vogenauer), Oxford University Press (forthcoming 2017), being the second of six anticipated books in a series entitled “Studies in the Contract Laws of Asia”.
This project is made possible by grant number R-241-000-130-112 made under the Ministry of Education (Singapore) Academic Research Fund (AcRF).
- “Remedies for the Breach of Contract” (General Editor, together with Mindy Chen-Wishart and Burton T Ong) (Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2016), being the first of six anticipated books in the series entitled “Studies in the Contract Laws of Asia”.
This book was made possible by grant number R-241-000-115-112 made under the Ministry of Education (Singapore) Academic Research Fund (AcRF).
- “Excusable Consent in Duress” Legal Studies (forthcoming)
- “Winding-up of a foreign company on the just and equitable ground”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 336-343
- “Res Judicata Redirected” (2016) 35 Civil Justice Quarterly 203-209
- ‘The Conceptual Basis of the Solicitor’s Liability to a Third Party related to the Client: reconstructing the White v Jones principle in Singapore” (with Leong Wai Kum & Burton Ong) (2016) 32 Journal of Professional Negligence 30-47
- “Virtual currency regulation in Singapore” (2015) 1(2) Journal of Financial Regulation 290-293 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jfr/fjv001)
- “The Lemon Law and the Integrated Enhancement of Consumer Rights in Singapore”,  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 285-306
- “Tainting Illegality” (2014) 34 Legal Studies 560-581.
- “Rethinking the transplantation of TSC Industries v Northway in Singapore” (2013) 28 Australian Journal of Corporate Law 253-270
- “Framing contractual freedom within the precepts of honesty, reliability and integrity”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 174-184
- “Tailor-fitting the securities regulatory regime for Singapore” (2012) 3 Cambodian Yearbook of Comparative Legal Studies 33-45.
- “Rights, Duties and the Validation of Irregularities” (2011) 23 Singapore Academy of Law Journal 838-862.
- “Mounting Hurdles in Securities Litigation – Addressing the Funding and Collective Action Issues” (2010) 22 Singapore Academy of Law Journal 660-703.
- “The Duties of a Sale Committee in a Majoritarian Collective Sale”  The Conveyancer and Property Lawyer 90-98.
- “The Efficacy of Securities Investors’ Rights in Singapore”  Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 109-134.
- “The Investors’ Protected Interest against Market Manipulation in the UK, Australia and Singapore” (2007) 21 Australian Journal of Corporate Law 22-50.
- “The Protected Interests in the Private Right of Action for Insider Trading: A Comparative Perspective” (2007) 7 Journal of Corporate Law Studies 307-335
- “The Broad Ground and the Not-so-Narrow Ground in Singapore” (2007) 23 Journal of Contract Law 148-153.
- “From the Fiduciary Theory to Information Abuse: The Changing Fabric of Insider Trading Law in the U.K., Australia and Singapore” (2006) 54 American Journal of Comparative Law 123-172.
- “Forging a New Equilibrium in Singapore Legal Education” 24 Wis Int’l L J 261-293 (2006)
- “Sending the right signals on corporate liability for employee insider trading”  SJLS 137-158.
- “Corporate liability for cross-border insider trading in Singapore” (2005) 17(3) Aus Jnl of Corp Law 347-352.
- “A (Behavioural) Law and Economics Approach to Reforming Asian Corporate Governance” (2002) 20 Company & Securities L J 252-275.
- “Damages to protect performance interest and the reasonableness requirement”  SJLS 259-267.
- “Regulating Electronic Markets: The Internet and Antifraud Regulation of Securities Markets” (2001) 5 Sing J Int’l Comp L 647-673.
- “Working out the private offer exemption: From concept to safe harbours” (2001) 13 Aus Jnl of Corp Law 39-66.
- “Fiduciary Duties and Implied Duties of Good Faith in Contractual Joint Ventures”  JBL 538-558
- “The Malaysian capital controls of 1998 and Ringgit denominated deposits in Singapore” (1999) 15 JCL 10-28.
- “Share Repurchase – Some Policy and Legal Issues  SJLS 180-204
- “The valuer’s liability for negligent valuation – toward a more principled allocation of the risk of market decline” (1999) 1 Legal Studies 47-67.
- “Risk Management and Credit Support in Project Finance” (1998) 2 Sing J Int’l Comp L 37-75.
- “Cost of Cure or Diminution in Market Value: Toward A Sound Approach in the Basis for Quantifying Expectations Damages” (1996) 10 JCL 189-211.
- “Adequate and Just Compensation for Fraud-induced acquisition of shares”  SJLS 318-328.
- “Reclaiming Moneys Paid Under Fraud in Documentary Credits”  SJLS 251-256.
- “Injunctions and Performance Bonds - A Return to English Orthodoxy”  SJLS 682-700
Publications (chapters in books)
- “Pre-contractual liability through the looking-glass of the common law” in Perspectives on Chinese Contract Law, Larrydi Matteo & Lei Chen (eds) (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming)
- “Positioning Singapore as an international centre for fund-raising” Invited Speaker”, in Asian Financial Centers’ Development and Regulation: A Comparative Study from Singapore, Hong Kong and Mainland China, Jiaxiang Hu & Matthias Vanhullebusch (eds) (Brill Asian Law Series. 2016) ch 8 (pp. 197-219)
- “Introduction” (with Mindy Chen-Wishart & Burton T Ong) in Studies in the Contract Laws of Asia: Remedies for Breach of Contract, Chen-Wishart, Loke & Ong, eds., Oxford University Press(2016) ch 1 (pp 1 – 20).
- “The Performance Interest and Monetary Awards for Breach of Contract under Singapore law” in Studies in the Contract Laws of Asia: Remedies for Breach of Contract, Chen-Wishart, Loke & Ong, eds., Oxford University Press(2016) ch 10 (pp 215 – 235).
- “Remedies” in Halsbury Laws of Singapore vol 7: Contract, chapter 18(LexisNexis, 2009) pp 571 – 627.
- “Discharge by Breach and Repudiation” in Halsbury Laws of Singapore vol 7: Contract, chapter 17 (LexisNexis, 2009) pp 515-541.
- “Ch 7: Directors and Other Corporate Officers” Walter Woon on Company Law, Revised 3rd Edition (Singapore: Thomson/Sweet & Maxwell Asia. 2009) pp. 243-290
- “Ch 8: Directors’ Duties and Liabilities” in Walter Woon on Company Law, Revised 3rd Edition (Singapore: Thomson/Sweet & Maxwell Asia. 2009) pp. 291-350.
- “Ch 7: Directors and Other Corporate Officers” Walter Woon on Company Law, 3rd Edition(Singapore: Thomson/Sweet & Maxwell Asia. 2005) pp 225-273
- “Ch 8: Directors’ Duties and Liabilities” in Walter Woon on Company Law, 3rd Edition(Singapore: Thomson/Sweet & Maxwell Asia. 2005) 275-334.
- “Legal Education in Singapore” in Essays in Singapore Legal History,(Kevin Y L Tan ed., Singapore Academy of Law/Marshall Cavendish Academic. 2005) pp 161-191.
- “Remedies” in Halsbury Laws of Singapore vol 7: Contract, chapter 18(LexisNexis, 2005) pp 533 – 583.
- Discharge by Breach and Repudiation in Halsbury Laws of Singapore vol 7: Contract, chapter 17 (LexisNexis, 2005) pp 483-505.
- "Regulating Electronic Markets: The Internet and Antifraud Regulation" in Current developments in financial regulation and capital markets / editor, Stephen L.H. Phua (2002) pp 397-426.
- Remedies in Halsbury Laws of Singapore vol 7: Contract, Chapter 18(Butterworths, 2000) pp 497-539.
- Discharge by Breach and Repudiation in Halsbury Laws of Singapore vol 7: Contract, Chapter 16. (Butterworths, 2000) pp 449-470.
- Form and Substance of Singapore Contract Law in Doing Business in the ASEAN (University of the Philippines Law Centre, Institute of International Legal Studies, 2000) pp 125-156
- Educating the Thinking Lawyer: The Past Present and Future of University Legal Education in Singapore’ in The Singapore Legal System 2nd ed (Kevin Tan ed, Singapore University Press, 1999) pp 324 – 367.
- 'Foreign Direct Investment in the Philippines' in Current Legal Issues in the Internationalization of Business Enterprises (L H Lye ed, Butterworths, 1996) pp 527-554
- ‘Developing a Curriculum to Suit the Needs of a New Nation – the Singapore Experience’ in Report of Proceedings: Cambodia Law and Business Curriculum Conference. (Community Legal Education Center, Phnom Penh. 1999)
- “Corporate Governance : An Asia-Pacific Critique”, edited by Low Chee Keong (Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell, 2002). Reviewed in  SJLS 655-659.
- “Legal Aspects of Unit Trusts in Singapore” by Chiwi Lee (Singapore: Acumen. 2001). Reviewed in  SJLS 448-450.
- “Precedent in the Indian Legal System” by Lakshmi Nath (Lucknow: Eastern Book Company. 1990). Reviewed in  SJLS 311-312.
Public Policy Papers
- Response to the Consultation Paper on Proposed Amendments to the SFA (Part XII and section 324) (P013‐2015 dated August 2015). Submitted to the Monetary Authority of Singapore on 18 September 2015.
- (with Jeffrey Lai & Ko Jian Xiang) Comments and Feedback on “MAS Consultation Paper on Proposals to Enhance Regulatory Safeguards for Investor in the Capital Markets” (Consultation Paper P012-2014/ July 2014). Submitted to the Monetary Authority of Singapore on 30 August 2014.