Dr. Eugene C. Lim specializes in international and comparative intellectual property law, with allied
interests in tort law, information technology law and entertainment law. He has published in the fields of
biotechnology law, theories of compliance with international law, international intellectual property
regulation, and the law relating to psychiatric injury. He teaches a variety of courses for the School of
Law’s LL.M. (IP and Technology Law) stream, and has delivered modules on company law, applied legal
theory, jurisprudence and political theory at both the graduate and undergraduate levels at the City
University of Hong Kong.
Publications and Other Works (Selected List)
- Eugene C. Lim, “From Harvard Mouse to Novartis: Synthetic Biology, Transgenic Life and the Varieties Exclusion in Patent Law” (2019) 49:3 Hong Kong Law Journal 927.
- Eugene C. Lim, “More Than Fifty Shades of Grey: Single Colors, Position Marks, and the Self-Containment Criterion” (2019) Vol. 109, No. 4, The Trademark Reporter 779.
- Eugene C. Lim (Lead Author), “Acoustic Branding, Non-Traditional Trademarks and the Graphical Representation Requirement: A Conceptual and Empirical Analysis” (2019) 41(1) European Intellectual Property Review 5 (with Samtani Anil).
- Eugene C. Lim, “Only Fifty Shades of Grey? A Critical Look at Abstract Colour Marks in the Post-Sieckmann Era”, paper presented at the Conference on Limitations on Trademark Rights from Comparative and Interdisciplinary Perspectives, 7-8 January 2019, Law & Technology Centre, The University of Hong Kong.
- Eugene C. Lim, How Chocolate Wars “Shape” the Law: KitKat, Three-Dimensional Trade Marks and the Enigma of “Technical Function” (2018) 48:2 Hong Kong Law Journal 533.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Teaching Jurisprudence in a ‘Technology-Enabled Classroom’: An Experiment with Experiential Learning”, paper presented at the Conference on Teaching and Learning in Law - Directions in Legal Education 2018, 1-2 June 2018, Faculty of Law, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Spontaneous Oral Communications, Impromptu Speeches and Fixation in Copyright Law: A Comparative Analysis” (2018) 13:10 Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 806 (Oxford University Press).
- Eugene C. Lim, “On the Uneasy Interface between Economic Rights, Moral Rights and Users’ Rights in Copyright Law: Can Canada Learn from the UK Experience?” (2018) 15:1 SCRIPTed – A Journal of Law, Technology and Society 70 (University of Edinburgh).
- Eugene C. Lim, “Spontaneous Oral Communications, Impromptu Speeches and Fixation in Copyright Law: A Comparative Analysis” (2018) 8-9 Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht, Internationaler Teil 862.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Authorship, Death and Immortality: A Practical Look at the Posthumous Enforcement of Authors’ Rights in Canada” (2017) 12:11 Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 906 (Oxford University Press).
- Eugene C. Lim, “Can Dead Authors Talk? On the Posthumous Enforcement of Authors’ Rights in Comparative Perspective”, paper presented at the 11th World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Advanced Intellectual Property Research Seminar, 22-24 May 2017, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Of Pride and Prejudice: Mangled Art, Mutilated Statues, Hypersensitive Authors and the Moral Right of Integrity” (2016) 21 Media and Arts Law Review 149 (University of Melbourne).
- Eugene C. Lim, “Opening the ‘Pandora’s Box’ of Patent Claim Construction: Purposive Interpretation, Central Claiming and the Doctrine of Equivalents in Comparative Perspective” (2016) 16 Asper Review of International Business and Trade Law 155 (University of Manitoba).
- Eugene C. Lim, “Forum Shopping in Biotechnology Law: Understanding Conflict of Laws in Protecting GMO-Based Inventions as Part of a Patent Portfolio in the Greater China Region”, paper presented at the 18th International Conference on Intellectual Property Management, 4-5 August 2016, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Thin-Skull Plaintiffs, Socio-Cultural ‘Abnormalities’ and the Dangers of an Objective Test for Hypersensitivity” (2014) 37:2 Dalhousie Law Journal 749.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Proximity, Psychiatric Injury and the Primary / Secondary Tortfeasor Dichotomy: Rethinking Liability for Nervous Shock in the Information Age” (2014) 23 Nottingham Law Journal 1.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Harvesting the ‘Forbidden Fruit’ of Biotechnology Research: Genetic Engineering, International Law and the Patentability of Higher Life Forms in Canada” (2012) 10 Canadian Journal of Law and Technology 205.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Of Chew Toys and Designer Handbags: A Critical Analysis of the ‘Parody’ Exception under the U.S. Trademark Dilution Revision Act” (2012) 35 Campbell Law Review 83.
- Eugene C. Lim, “On the Compliance Pull of Intellectual Property Norms: Finnis, Practical Reasonableness and the Challenge of Social Internalization” (2012) 31 Windsor Review of Legal and Social Issues 1.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Malice, Qualified Privilege and the New Responsible Communication Defence to Defamation: Which Way Forward for Investigative Journalism in Canada?” (2012) 45:1 University of British Columbia Law Review 223.
- Eugene C. Lim, “Dilution, the Section 22 Debacle, and the Protection of Business Goodwill in Canada: Some Insights from U.S. Trademark Law and Policy” (2011) Vol. 101, No. 4, The Trademark Reporter 1232.
- Eugene C. Lim, “A Long ‘TRIP’ Home: Intellectual Property Rights, International Law and the Constructivist Challenge” (2008) 4(2) Journal of International Law & International Relations 57.