Elena Sherstoboeva is a media & entertainment law researcher and legal practitioner. Her most recent research and expert projects focus on digital piracy as well as online content regulation and policies in the context of international legal standards.
She has a diverse experience in research, teaching and providing expert reviews in media & entertainment law for academia, industry and international organisations.
Before joining the School of Creative Media, she worked as a professor in the School of Media at the National Research University Higher School of Economics (2012-2019), one of the leading universities in Russia. In 2018, Elena was a visiting lecturer at the University of Copenhagen. She was also a visiting fellow at the University of Pennsylvania (2015-2016) and the University of Leeds (2013). Elena started her academic career in 2009 at Moscow State University’s School of Journalism as a researcher and then worked there as an associate professor (2011-2012).
Since 2011, Elena has collaborated as an independent legal expert with international human rights organisations, such as UNESCO, OSCE and the Council of Europe, by providing comments and reports on Internet, media and broadcasting regulation as well as on transparency laws. She also cooperated as a legal expert with the BBC World Trust Service and the Russian Parliament’s Committee on Information Policy.
Elena was also the top counsel and CEO of her own legal agency specializing in media and entertainment law. She has a vast experience in negotiating and revising contracts with global entertainment companies as well as in helping creative individuals and enterprises launch their innovative media start-ups.
Elena earned two PhD degrees with distinction - in Journalism (Moscow State University, Russia) and Communication (Ramon Llull University, Spain). She also has two Master’s degrees – in Law and Journalism. She also studied copyright law (‘CopyrightX’) at Harvard Law School and attended several summer schools, including the leading one in her field at the University of Oxford.
- Sherstoboeva E. (2019) Audiovisual Regulation in Russia in the Context of the Council of Europe Standards. Review of Central and East European Law. Vol. 44.No. 40.3, Pp. 1-40.
- Sherstoboeva E. (2019) New Media Regulation in Russia in the Context of the Council of Europe Standards. In S. Davydov (Ed.) Internet in Russia, Russia in Internet. Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
- Sherstoboeva E., Pavlenko V. (2018) Freedom of Expression and Regulation of Extremism in Russia in the Context of the Council of Europe Standards. In S. Bodrunova (Ed.) Internet Science - 2018. Cham, Switzerland: Springer.
- Sherstoboeva E. (2018) The Evolution of a Russian Concept of Free Speech. In Price M.E. & Stremlau N. (Eds.) Speech and Society in Turbulent Times: Freedom of Expression in Comparative Perspective. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. P. 213-236.
- Kiriya, I. and Sherstoboeva, E. (2015) Russian Media Piracy. International Journal of Communications. Vol. 9. P. 839-851.
- Sherstoboeva E. (2014) Media Law Reform in Post-Soviet Turkmenistan: The Illusion of Democratization. Problems of Post-Communism. 2014. Vol. 61. No. 5. P. 32-45.
Legal Reviews and Reports
- Sherstoboeva E. (2018) Commentary on the National Law “On Television and Radio Broadcasting” of Turkmenistan. Web site of the OSCE The Representative on Freedom of the Media. Available at: https://www.osce.org/representative-on-freedom-of-media/374032
- Sherstoboeva E., Pavlenko V. (2016) Accreditation of Foreign Journalists in the OSCE region. Web site of the OSCE The Representative on Freedom of the Media. Available at: http://www.osce.org/fom/245146?download=true
- Sherstoboeva, E. (2013) Comments on the Law on Mass Media of the Republic of Tajikistan. In M. Stone (Ed.) Yearbook-14: The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (pp. 167-210). Vienna: The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media.
- Sherstoboeva E. (2012) Legal Comments on the Draft Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan ‘On Transparency of Activities of Bodies of State Power and Governance’. In M. Stone (Ed.) Yearbook-13: The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (pp. 207-228). Vienna: The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media.
- Sherstoboeva E. (2012) Legal Comments of the Law ‘On Press and Other Mass Media in Turkmen SSR’. In M. Stone (Ed.) Yearbook-13: The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media (pp. 183-205). Vienna: The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media.